TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

How the hell can a park employee be telling guests such misleading and dangerous information???

That's way off script, and yes they have a script.

Did you catch the name? They nerd to be reported for that.

As a representative of the park, making public statements like that is bad news.

How the hell can a park employee be telling guests such misleading and dangerous information???

You mean like their initial website notification that went viral across several news organizations?

That can be called a misunderstanding of the notice received.

But embellishments like claiming bankruptcy is a whole different category.

I'm pretty certain the hills are designed so that if the launch fails and the ride crawls over the first crest, it will have enough speed the complete the course.

Not sure. Haven't seen whether there's an easy exit option there or not.

To take a break from the nonsense and rumors...

For barbecue connoisseurs in Knoxville, if you had to choose between Chandler's, Archer's on Gay St., and Sweet P's Downtown Dive, which would you say is the best place to stop to eat for BBQ? Because of our schedule we'll only be able to eat at one of those three. I've seen praise and scorn heaped on all three in roughly equal amounts, and I'd hate to choose "wrong" if that makes sense.

For barbecue connoisseurs in Knoxville, if you had to choose between Chandler's, Archer's on Gay St., and Sweet P's Downtown Dive, which would you say is the best place to stop to eat for BBQ? Because of our schedule we'll only be able to eat at one of those three. I've seen praise and scorn heaped on all three in roughly equal amounts, and I'd hate to choose "wrong" if that makes sense.

What are you looking for in BBQ?

Beef or pulled pork, ribs? What sort of sauce do you like? Sweet, spicy, vinegar, etc?

I often visit places with rave reviews (online and from acquaintances) and am not impressed.

I haven't been to any of the places you said but I have went to a place called Boss Hoggs BBQ on Wears Valley Road and it was fantastic. They opened last year I believe, the only issue I have had is they ran out of chicken one day we were there. At least it shows they are cooking the food daily. Everything I have had from there is great. It's not a fancy sit down reastaursnt but there is seating and it's clean. Anyone else ever eat there?

Well the closed banner is gone from the website so they might be planning to open LR today. I'll go check the timesaver pass shortly.

Just looked and see the closed banner. The details popup appears to have changed. Not claiming all RMC coasters are closed.

tmp_16154-Screenshot_2016-06-22-07-26-22-496139468.thumb.png.d6a9c63e594eff75db12b3faa67c54fa.png

They're all good! Sweet P's might edge out the other two, slightly, for me personally. I like the food as well as the atmosphere. They have beef, brisket and chicken and bbq burrito's, a smoked meatloaf was the special the other day...several creative items. They have a tomato based sauce, a vinegar based sauce and a hot tomato based sauce...they serve beer and you can park across the street for free after 6p and all weekend. Sweet P's is closed on Mondays. Chandler's has their own parking lot. Archer's - there's two parking garages behind it's row of buildings- The State Street garage is the bigger one of the two garages.. Free after 6p during the week and on weekends.

For a one day trip perhaps you're right. Especially if you are just interested in coasters.

But I'd never visit the area for just one day.

Between the late entry - extra day option, the low rate for the season pass*, and the gold pass discounts (20%) and free parking can easily pay for itself ($45) a day if you have a family/group, it just doesn't make sense to do one day.

*less than 2 one day tickets, though the 3day-2park option is OK unless you might return later, like in Nov/Dec. And the super pass is just the price of one day at the water park above the other pass.

Except a one day visit makes plenty of sense for many people. And seasons passes don't make sense for a lot of people.

Do you work for the park?

You're on the wrong side of the state for good barbecue.

Well the closed banner is gone from the website so they might be planning to open LR today. I'll go check the timesaver pass shortly.

Just looked and see the closed banner. The details popup appears to have changed. Not claiming all RMC coasters are

That's weird because the mobile site and app were plastered with that yesterday but today nothing. Haven't been down to the park to see what's happening though yet

For a one day trip perhaps you're right. Especially if you are just interested in coasters.

But I'd never visit the area for just one day.

Except a one day visit makes plenty of sense for many people. And seasons passes don't make sense for a lot of people.

Do you work for the park?

Really? Throw a shill accusation out?

No, but I guess you won't believe me. People that throw them out that way never do.

When I visit the area (2-4 times a year) is for 5-7 days.

Dollywood isn't the only thing there nor the only reason to go.

Last time it was day 4 before the water park, then 2 days at DW.

Unlike the "destination" parks.

Still if I go anywhere it's for at least 2 days 95% of the time. I don't like the mad scramble to do it all in one day. Orlando I don't care for, but the family wanted to go. 6 parks in 6 days sucked.

You're on the wrong side of the state for good barbecue.

Lol. Being from West TN for my first 2 decades, I agree, though not fond of most "Memphis Style" pork.

Give me something between Memphis and Carolina, but with hints of St. Louis. But that's sauces. The meat needs a good rub and long smoke time.

But give me the little shacks with no or little seating. And if they have more than one store or cook off site, forget it.

Edited by STDog

Just looked and see the closed banner. The details popup appears to have changed. Not claiming all RMC coasters are

That's weird because the mobile site and app were plastered with that yesterday but today nothing. Haven't been down to the park to see what's happening though yet

That was the mobile site (Firefox on my android tablet). Note the top of the pic.

They def plan to open today, the que is all open where as yesterday it was closed up.

Right now there are guys all over the launch working where it 'didn't catch fire'

So certainly not all sorted there yet.

image.thumb.jpeg.958e674e6107fea4430fc0cef600e703.jpeg

They def plan to open today, the que is all open where as yesterday it was closed up.

Right now there are guys all over the launch working where it 'didn't catch fire'

I was planning on heading down tomorrow, but if it doesn't open today I'll postpone that trip for later in the year. Let us know if it does end up opening! Thanks