TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I plan to stay at their place, so I'll be getting a TimeSaver with the room. What I meant is that if I go on a crowded day, should I still expect to be able to get on quickly, or, if I can, should I set it up so I'm there on a weekday, even though I'll have the TimeSaver?

As mentioned, it's just holding your place in line. So if the wait is 45 minutes when you select it, it's still 45 minutes before you ride. You just don't have to stand in line.

And as mentioned selecting the next ride while waiting to board can save you a few minutes, and even more since it's a good walk between some rides. TH and LR are a good ways from the other coasters. Even MM is a few minutes from WE/FCE/TT. Having walked quickly up the hill, be it Craftsman's Valley or Timber Canyon, having that count like you're in line would make a more enjoyable experience.

But how long are you there? One day? If you want to get several rides on each in one day, even on a slow day it could be helpful. But if you are wanting to ride one a few times be fore moving on, it reduced the utility no matter how slow or busy.

I'm usually in the park for 2 days at a time, and just haven't bothered with it.

And it would have been 2 or 3 people I'd pay for so that matters too.

I just did the calculation. I'm not accounting for issues like train length (I'm treating it like a point) or wind resistance, but the simple calculation says that 35mph at the crest has it going 78 at the bottom, while 21mph at the crest hits the reported 73.

How are you accounting for the double drop? I've not seen much on how far or what angles or the rise to the second crest.

I've been on it. It slows down significantly at the crest from the launch speed. Gravity takes over quick at that angle. A cable can do pretty decent speeds.

Didn't seam like it slowed much when I rode it. Certainly faster over the top than any chain lift I've ever been on.

They were always like WE/TH/TT.

I'm at the park today and noticed they were working on it so I asked the employees at Lightning Rod's entrance… The parts are here and they're currently being replaced. They're "very hopeful" that it will open tomorrow, Wednesday. He said it was a piece in the restraints… Restraints were working TOO well and wouldn't unlock at the end of the ride. So they are having to replace that part on every seat on every train.

I'm at the park today and noticed they were working on it so I asked the employees at Lightning Rod's entrance… The parts are here and they're currently being replaced. Very hopeful that it will open tomorrow, Wednesday. He said it was a piece in the restraints… Restraints were working TOO well and wouldn't unlock at the end of the ride. So they are having to replace that part on every seat on every train.

Great to hear! Thanks for asking!

I'm at the park today and noticed they were working on it so I asked the employees at Lightning Rod's entrance… The parts are here and they're currently being replaced. They're "very hopeful" that it will open tomorrow, Wednesday. He said it was a piece in the restraints… Restraints were working TOO well and wouldn't unlock at the end of the ride. So they are having to replace that part on every seat on every train.

Awesome! If only I had been able to go a week later, lol

I'm at the park today and noticed they were working on it so I asked the employees at Lightning Rod's entrance… The parts are here and they're currently being replaced. Very hopeful that it will open tomorrow, Wednesday. He said it was a piece in the restraints… Restraints were working TOO well and wouldn't unlock at the end of the ride. So they are having to replace that part on every seat on every train.

Great to hear! Thanks for asking!

That makes sense. When I rode they were having trouble getting people out of the seats in the station

Edited by DefeatistNation

Well, that's promising! I'm flying back East tomorrow evening. My sister and I, and her family are going to Dollywood Thursday and Friday. Still hoping this works out.

How are you accounting for the double drop? I've not seen much on how far or what angles or the rise to the second crest.
I completely forgot about the double drop is how, but if the train crests the second hill at 21mph, then it wasn't even going that fast when it crested the launch hill, assuming that the second is lower than the first (and I believe that's the case).

Still about the TimeSaver, would I do something like, "Hi, I'd like to make a reservation, non-smoking, at 9pm for Lightning Rod" and then when I show up at 9 then let me right on?

It will only let you take the next available time. You can't reserve a time later in the day or more than one ride at a time.

It's nice to hear the parts are there. I couldn't bring myself to go ask the host out front because I just felt like they must have the worst job in the world right now the poor girl.

I completely forgot about the double drop is how, but if the train crests the second hill at 21mph, then it wasn't even going that fast when it crested the launch hill, assuming that the second is lower than the first (and I believe that's the case).

I'm pretty certain the hills are designed so that if the launch fails and the ride crawls over the first crest, it will have enough speed the complete the course.

It felt like it was slower cresting the 2nd time, but only 2 rides (in different places) and it's been~2 weeks so the recollection could be off. (That and the excitement, my daughter's excitement and the girls in front of us the 2nd ride...)

Still about the TimeSaver, would I do something like, "Hi, I'd like to make a reservation, non-smoking, at 9pm for Lightning Rod" and then when I show up at 9 then let me right on?

http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Guest-Services/Timesaver-Pass

You scroll through the list of rides with the wait time listed. You select the ride you want.

After the listed wait time you can enter the TS line (well be where it's checked). You don't have to be there right then, you can come anytime after.

So you look through the list at 11:00 and see LR has a 45 minute wait. Select that and head towards that way. Stop and grab something to drink and some kettle corn. Maybe browse a shop or watch part of a show at the Back Porch or the Gazebo. At 11:45 it beeps and you go to the TS entrance. If you like the show, finish it then go enter. Or finsh looking around the shop, check out (sending purchase for Package Pickup), maybe stop at the bathroom, then go to the TS entrance.

Once the TS is scanned/checked at the ride, you do it all again.

Edited by STDog

I couldn't bring myself to go ask the host out front because I just felt like they must have the worst job in the world right now the poor girl.

They've had a pretty miserable month or so. But they have had some fun too. I saw a photo of them drawing with chalk on the street.

Edited by STDog

Wow so our park employed trolley driver just told us all about how Rocky Mountain Construction were having to file for chapter 11 because every single ride they have ever made has had to be closed.

And how there are defects in all the metal and that the ride was unsafe for the riders that have wridden it and they were really lucky.

They weren't joking around, she was deadly serious.

How the hell can a park employee be telling guests such misleading and dangerous information???

Edited by djrappa

^ this is getting waaaay out of hand. Now that the park is being honest about it closing the GP and the media are blowing it way out of proportion. Ugh.

To be fair, nothing "The GP" says about this ride can be any dumber or any more reactionary than some of the crap being spewed by some of the "experts" in this thread

Wow so our park employed trolley driver just told us all about how Rocky Mountain Construction were having to file for chapter 11 because every single ride they have ever made has had to be closed.

And how there are defects in all the metal and that the ride was unsafe for the riders that have wridden it and they were really lucky.

She wasn't joking around, she was deadly serious.

How the hell can a park employee be telling guests such misleading and dangerous information???

If it is a problem with all RMC's then it must not be a huge problem because we have gone all theses years without an accident except the Texas giant.

And the thing is if it is indeed a recall because the fault was that the cylinders woukdnt release then that's not a safety issue at all.

We know the cylinders are only the new type.

And the recall still makes sense because if a piece of safety equipment is not working correctly in any way (good or bad) you take it out of service.

And the thing is if it is indeed a recall because the fault was that the cylinders woukdnt release then that's not a safety issue at all.

If they may not open, how can this NOT be a safety issue?

If there is an emergency and the train needs to be evaced, the restraint does not open, that's a safety issue.