TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Dollywood also has an amazing experience without the roller coasters. Name one thing Cedar Point has that can match the amazingness of Dollywood's cinnamon bread.

You're comparing apples and oranges here. Dollywood is all about the non-coaster stuff (and honestly it didn't do it that well imo) and CP is all about the world-class coaster lineup and massive collection of flat rides.

Although Dollywood was fun but definitely a weaker link in terms of how long I really wanted to stay. The shows I saw were average, food was good but not as good as SDC, and it was the only park on my trip to not end up putting any coasters in my top ten (though WE and Thunderhead did end up at the lower end of the top 20)

Also, to answer your question, the beach. Cinnamon bread was not nearly as good as SDC's imo

and yes this is pretty much all opinion anyway

Roller coasters that work.

I'd mention Dragster but pretty much every other coaster at CP begs to differ so yeah that too lol

I'm in the same camp thinking that DW does not begin to measure up to SDC in charm and especially food, but I can enjoy DW for what it is. Comparing it to one of the best parks in the nation just because it's owned by the same company isn't really fair.

Not a single park in the USA that tops Dollywood? That's bold.

For the money, I'll take DW's food in Aunt Granny's, Miss Lillian's, Backstage, and Ham & Beans over any other park.

Obviously Disney has some really nice restaurants, but that's $$$ comparatively.

General park food though (burgers, pizza, etc) sucks everywhere.

Obviously if southern style isn't you thing, DW's food won't be your cup of tea. Neither will many area restaurants (like Paula Deen's or Applewood Farmhouse).

I do wish the shows changed up more often.

I'm in the same camp thinking that DW does not begin to measure up to SDC in charm and especially food, but I can enjoy DW for what it is. Comparing it to one of the best parks in the nation just because it's owned by the same company isn't really fair.

I never said I didn't like the park, I just said I liked it less than the other parks I went to. I've never been to a bad park by any means at least in my opinion.

Not a single park in the USA that tops Dollywood? That's bold.

For the money, I'll take DW's food in Aunt Granny's, Miss Lillian's, Backstage, and Ham & Beans over any other park.

Obviously Disney has some really nice restaurants, but that's $$$ comparatively..

I have a hard time deciding between Knoebels and Dollywood when it comes to food. At Knoebels you can walk up to any food stand and order any random thing and it'll probably be amazing. At Dollywood they have a lot of crap to sift through but if you find the right place like Lillian's, a skillet or the Grist Mill it's hard to beat.

As for Disney. I've heard Epcot is good but at Magic Kingdom unless you know where to eat or snag a reservation at Be Our Guest, I found their food offerings to be abysmal (especially in Tomorrowland). I'd take the food at Six Flags over most of the food at the Magic Kingdom without hesitation... parks like Busch Gardens, Dollywood and Knoebels blow the majority of the food at WDW away minus a few random places and the world showcase.

Question about the TimeSaver: how effective is it at saving time? If I make a plan to go in August (or some time when I would expect it to be crowded), should I try to set it up so I'm there on a weekday when there would be lighter crowds, or would I be able to get through them pretty easily on a crowded day by using TimeSaver?

I've heard it compared to the way Six Flags does their fast passes. I've never gotten a fast pass at a Six Flags and have no sense of how well they work.

As you can see I don't post that much on here, more of a lurker than anything.

Dollywood is thee most overpriced park that I have ever been to.

It's really nice, i'll give them that but their coasters aren't worth the price of admission. I love Tornado, hell, i'd pay the ticket price just to ride that but $70 for a ticket is a kick in the pants for what you get IMO.

I really do feel sorry for the whole Dollywood team. I've met Pete now a couple of times and I know that he is probably pretty frustrated at the situation. I hope that they can get it up and running soon. I've heard that it's great but I have yet to ride it myself.

Question about the TimeSaver: how effective is it at saving time? If I make a plan to go in August (or some time when I would expect it to be crowded), should I try to set it up so I'm there on a weekday when there would be lighter crowds, or would I be able to get through them pretty easily on a crowded day by using TimeSaver?

I've heard it compared to the way Six Flags does their fast passes. I've never gotten a fast pass at a Six Flags and have no sense of how well they work.

For 30 bucks I wouldnt ever go without it. Love them. They are just Qbots but since as soon as you're scanned in the station it resets you can start waiting for your next ride while you're in line for your row on the first ride you queued. It's awesome. Also it allows you to roam the park while you wait instead of sitting in a line. You can sit down and eat while your timesaver waits 2 hours for Lightning Rod, meanwhile you're out enjoying the park and not trapped in a zig zag of metal and heat.

As the park fills up today time saver has definitely been worth it. We get it for free because we're staying at DreamMore however I would certainly pay the $25.

It's especially hot today so the time not spent in switchbacks is really great.

As you can see I don't post that much on here, more of a lurker than anything.

Dollywood is thee most overpriced park that I have ever been to.

It's really nice, i'll give them that but their coasters aren't worth the price of admission. I love Tornado, hell, i'd pay the ticket price just to ride that but $70 for a ticket is a kick in the pants for what you get IMO.

DW is nice but I agree that IMO it's overpriced (perhaps purposely). Admission is $74 with taxes/fees for an adult, or $86 with parking (parking fees are just another part of the admission cost). And this doesn't include the water park. There's just not enough there, IMO, for $74/$86. But obviously they can get away with it since it's usually very crowded. Tourists are already in the area, so they're going to go to DW regardless of price (up to a point of course).

Holiday World is $45 and includes the themepark and waterpark, plus free parking, soft drinks, and sunscreen.

Even Cedar Point is only $52.79 with tax/fee right now (plus $15/$18 parking).

Heck, even the expensive/overpriced Disney World ends up $86.53 per day with tax if you buy a 4 day ticket, but that includes going to a separate themepark each day. Plus $20/day parking.

Seaworld Orlando's one day ticket is only $5 more than Dollywood. And Seaworld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa's two-park ticket is the same price as Dollywood's; both $99. And SWO/BGT's gives you four parks to choose from (two themeparks, two water parks). Or a three day/park ticket is only $109.

Hit or miss. Most of the time I haven't felt it worth the money, so I've never had one.

Maybe better for show reservations than rides. Some of them can have really long lines (Festival of Nations, BG&BBQ, Christmas) though the summer shows usually aren't bad.

Granted I tend to pick less busy time of year (when heat isn't as much of an issue either) but I've seen 45min + on TT and WE.

It's really just an automated wait in line so you can do other stuff instead.

You select the available time slot than arrive then or after and got straight to the front.

But it doesn't really get you in much faster. It would be nice to not have to wait in line for 30-45 minutes, instead getting a drink, a bite to eat, shopping, watching a craftsman, etc.

DW is nice but I agree that IMO it's overpriced (perhaps purposely). Admission is $74 with taxes/fees for an adult, or $86 with parking (parking fees are just another part of the admission cost). And this doesn't include the water park. There's just not enough there, IMO, for $74/$86. But obviously they can get away with it since it's usually very crowded. Tourists are already in the area, so they're going to go to DW regardless of price (up to a point of course).

For a one day trip perhaps you're right. Especially if you are just interested in coasters.

But I'd never visit the area for just one day.

Between the late entry - extra day option, the low rate for the season pass*, and the gold pass discounts (20%) and free parking can easily pay for itself ($45) a day if you have a family/group, it just doesn't make sense to do one day.

*less than 2 one day tickets, though the 3day-2park option is OK unless you might return later, like in Nov/Dec. And the super pass is just the price of one day at the water park above the other pass.

Hard to crest the first hill at 40MPH with a chain.

It doesn't crest the first hill at 45 MPH.

No, but it doesn't slow down much from the max speed from the LSMs. Remember the back of the train is still in the LSMs for most of that. I'm guessing still doing 35-40 at the crest. Watch the POVs and off ride videos of the launch for reference.

Need someone with a speed detector to check a few points. I want to see confirmation of the 73MPH too.

A chain would be much slower going over the crest.

I've never seen a chain lift do more the 5-10MPH at the top, that's why you creep over the crest, even hang there in the front.

Hit or miss. Most of the time I haven't felt it worth the money, so I've never had one.

Maybe better for show reservations than rides. Some of them can have really long lines (Festival of Nations, BG&BBQ, Christmas) though the summer shows usually aren't bad.

Granted I tend to pick less busy time of year (when heat isn't as much of an issue either) but I've seen 45min + on TT and WE.

I plan to stay at their place, so I'll be getting a TimeSaver with the room. What I meant is that if I go on a crowded day, should I still expect to be able to get on quickly, or, if I can, should I set it up so I'm there on a weekday, even though I'll have the TimeSaver?

No, but it doesn't slow down much from the max speed from the LSMs. Remember the back of the train is still in the LSMs for most of that. I'm guessing still doing 35-40 at the crest. Watch the POVs and off ride videos of the launch for reference.
I just did the calculation. I'm not accounting for issues like train length (I'm treating it like a point) or wind resistance, but the simple calculation says that 35mph at the crest has it going 78 at the bottom, while 21mph at the crest hits the reported 73. Edited by BigBad

The cable launch would be very very hard to achieve on the slope. Look at all of them, they are pretty well a straight pull for the cable drum. You couldn't mount the launch gear at the top so it would have to be down at the base and the force on divert sheaves for the launch cable at the top of the crest would probably be way too much for such a structure or the sheaves themselves, plus you'd need a massive sheave for the bend radius of that cable.

I must say I applaud DW for now being so open with information. It's amazing the difference that makes with the GP speculating on the ride.

I never thought I'd see the day where people want to make the launch system similar to Top Thrill Dragster's to improve reliability.

Also I love how everyone's an expert on the launch mechanics of a wooden roller coaster now. If people that do this professionally can't figure it out I highly doubt a bunch of enthusiasts on a message board can.