TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I think I should start looking at a house to buy near Dollywood. I figured it would be cheaper to move there and wait for the coaster to open than to keep paying for international flights. Apparently my second attempt to ride LR this year will also be a #fail

1happygirl4u explained what she saw yesterday:

435862918_.jpg.068f082ecf5141e24d428924bdee2998.jpg

Every time the park gets close to being able to open it, some random thing comes up. Seriously, look at it:

supposed to open -> launch issues -> work on it -> supposed to open -> finally get two trains running -> flood -> get two trains running again -> technical rehearsals -> it finally opened sort of -> part recall -> fire

must really suck to be Dollywood or RMC right now.

^^Except at Dollywood they invite you to ride the 3 great coasters instead of 15.

Why don't they just remove the launch and add a chain lift instead? Pick either a coaster that breaks down a lot and is a tad bit "funner" or a coaster that is reliable.

^Dollywood says:

There are currently termites eating into the support structure of LR. Sorry, we're gonna be down for another week.

....In other words, the launch broke down again.

Congratulations Lightning Rod! Golden ticket award for less reliable coaster in 2016!

Edited by nicman

in other news, Wild Eagle's lift chain is currently being transferred onto Lightning Rod so that it can run without the launch, so Wild Eagle is also going to be down, but trust me it'll be up soon™

Fine by me. Wild eagle is a snooze fest and I think Lightning Run just needs a chain lift. The launch isn't much but a gimmick

You know when you see a totally asinine post on Facebook and then you lose all faith in humanity... but then you see people liking the post and feel even worse because you realize that more than one person actually agrees with that idiotic thinking and it's not isolated to one idiot? That's how I feel right now. Anyone else?

Bonus Points if nicman agrees with this post because he has no self awareness.

At the park right now and the train hasn't moved from where it is in that IG photo.

That certainly does not bode well...

Parts that have a tendency to overheat really don't have a place near wood (if that is indeed what is happening here).

^^Except at Dollywood they invite you to ride the 3 great coasters instead of 15.

I count 4: WE, TH, TT, MM. And FCE is fun, especially is you have young one that don't like inversions.

Why don't they just remove the launch and add a chain lift instead?

Hard to crest the first hill at 40MPH with a chain.

Why don't they just remove the launch and add a chain lift instead? Pick either a coaster that breaks down a lot and is a tad bit "funner" or a coaster that is reliable.

Dollywood also has an amazing experience without the roller coasters. Name one thing Cedar Point has that can match the amazingness of Dollywood's cinnamon bread.

Dollywood also has an amazing experience without the roller coasters. Name one thing Cedar Point has that can match the amazingness of Dollywood's cinnamon bread.

Roller coasters that work.

You're comparing apples and oranges here. Dollywood is all about the non-coaster stuff (and honestly it didn't do it that well imo) and CP is all about the world-class coaster lineup and massive collection of flat rides.

Although Dollywood was fun but definitely a weaker link in terms of how long I really wanted to stay. The shows I saw were average, food was good but not as good as SDC, and it was the only park on my trip to not end up putting any coasters in my top ten (though WE and Thunderhead did end up at the lower end of the top 20)

Also, to answer your question, the beach. Cinnamon bread was not nearly as good as SDC's imo

and yes this is pretty much all opinion anyway

Roller coasters that work.

I'd mention Dragster but pretty much every other coaster at CP begs to differ so yeah that too lol

There is not a park currently in the US that I want to visit more than Dollywood, and that includes CP. And there is not a coaster currently in the US I want to ride more than Lightning Rod, and that includes ANY of CP's coasters.

I of course say that in jest. I love Dollywood, but this has begun to spiral out of hand. I feel bad for them I know they are probably livid at all of these issues. I still eagerly await the all clear so I can finally ride an RMC haha.

There is not a park currently in the US that I want to visit more than Dollywood, and that includes CP. And there is not a coaster currently in the US I want to ride more than Lightning Rod, and that includes ANY of CP's coasters.

Not a single park in the USA that tops Dollywood? That's bold. You have to REALLY like park food and shows to put it that high on the list. I can understand wanting to ride Lightning Rod though. I still would choose to ride Twisted Colossus givin the choice between the two. I guess that's just me though.