TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Imagine if it never reopens, those people that got to ride on it the last few weeks will have bragging rights for decades.

"I was one of the only people to ride Lightning Rod, the best roller coaster in history!"

(You could call it the best roller coaster in history at that point, because honestly who could say you were wrong?)

Just a quick observation, and it is quite annoying. (and I know there are others who feel the same) Why must people post something and then tell us all it was sent from their piddly pitty patty tappy yappy talkie phone ? Are you getting some kind of commission from your phone company? Turn that stupid message off people.

Tapatalk adds this automatically unless you turn it off.. most of us are probably just to lazy to turn it off

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Imagine if it never reopens, those people that got to ride on it the last few weeks will have bragging rights for decades.

"I was one of the only people to ride Lightning Rod, the best roller coaster in history!"

(You could call it the best roller coaster in history at that point, because honestly who could say you were wrong?)

I feel pretty lucky to have squeezed a ride in

Do we have any word that Guy Koepp was at Dollywood today? He did threaten to burn down the coaster after all... #itllneveropen

There have been unconfirmed reports of an enraged man trying to set the coaster ablaze due to the fact it opened. Also around the area has been lots of graffiti that seems to spell out "#ItllNeveropen."

^^^^Whew! Thank god the most anticipated coaster for 2016 (The Joker) is not having all these problems. If Joker did close and never re-open, they would have bragging rights for the next 50 years.

^^^^Whew! Thank god the most anticipated coaster for 2016 (The Joker) is not having all these problems. If Joker did close and never re-open, they would have bragging rights for the next 50 years.

Actually, Taron isn't opened yet, so no one can have any bragging rights about riding it.

What do you guys think the best Alpine coaster in the area is? Haven't done any of them and I hope to hit one up this evening.

This comparison may help: http://www.coaster101.com/2016/01/29/smoky-mountain-alpine-coasters-comparison/

I really hate this for Dollywood and RMC. I do recall seeing the LSM fins steaming as I approached the launch the first time I rode it (but that may be normal, I've never seen them that up close before).

Edited by coasterdude5

Dollywood, literally wth.... Yes that's the train on the pre-launch there and that's smoke. Just now posted on IG

Could it possibly be that they are just incorporating more effects to the launch? Peeling out hot rods can create quite a bit of smoke, and that would be the exact spot on the coaster where an effect like that would take place. Just a thought.

Dollywood, literally wth.... Yes that's the train on the pre-launch there and that's smoke. Just now posted on IG

Could it possibly be that they are just incorporating more effects to the launch? Peeling out hot rods can create quite a bit of smoke, and that would be the exact spot on the coaster where an effect like that would take place. Just a thought.

Not 100% sure whether or not you're being serious, but I don't think they would add anything that might be construed to the general public as a legitimate malfunction, especially after a well publicized recall.

To be honest I did first think this just for the fact that it would a REALLY cool effect to have on the coaster! I hope it's just that rather than a malfunction.

^^^^^ I am serious, it's a still frame pic, the person that took it could have just witnessed the testing of a fog machine and took a photo of it. I myself have absolutely no idea what's going on with the coaster. I just would like to think the damn thing i've been trying to get a ride on since i attended the announcement of it's existence last August didn't set it's self on fire. I could be wrong and maybe the problems are very extensive which i hope is not the case. I was just making an observation from the pic, that maybe during the down time they knew they had to have, that they might use that time to work on some bells and whistles that were planned for the ride all along. It makes since to me. Just an opinion.

^^^^^ I am serious, it's a still frame pic, the person that took it could have just witnessed the testing of a fog machine and took a photo of it. I myself have absolutely no idea what's going on with the coaster. I just would like to think the damn thing i've been trying to get a ride on since i attended the announcement of it's existence last August didn't set it's self on fire. I could be wrong and maybe the problems are very extensive which i hope is not the case. I was just making an observation from the pic, that maybe during the down time they knew they had to have, that they might use that time to work on some bells and whistles that were planned for the ride all along. It makes since to me. Just an opinion.

So at the spot of the launch, where it's been known to overheat, they snuck in a fog effect?

I remember back in 2003 on thrill network (rip) someone defended batman, the stand up at astroworlds rusting out as theming

So at the spot of the launch, where it's been known to overheat, they snuck in a fog effect?

Known to overheat? Known by who?

The same sources that claimed it was doing 90MPH and had to be slowed down?

I suspect this is a person hunched over with a metal grinder or blade saw working on the track. He's bent over at the point where the smoke starts.

If you look at this screenshot from a POV video, it looks like there is something slightly out of alignment simply because of the wear pattern. A wooden coaster will always settle in some and they are probably taking time to fix potential future issues now.

I suspect this is a person hunched over with a metal grinder or blade saw working on the track. He's bent over at the point where the smoke starts.

Maybe right. The image quality is crap. Couldn't seen that on my phone. I do see a bit more on the tablet

Odd there's only the one picture. You'd think it might get more attention.

Maybe right. The image quality is crap. Couldn't seen that on my phone. I do see a bit more on the tablet

Odd there's only the one picture. You'd think it might get more attention.

That's another reason to suspect this is just maintenance. It's grainy, but the worker walking away doesn't seem to be in any hurry.