TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I was a little bummed that Lightning Rod wasn't open today but I did keep my expectations for it being open pretty low. Safety first I suppose.

^LR is closed all day today. I highly doubt it was hacked, many times the sites will say things that aren't totally true to make people feel better.

Pretty bold statement by DW considering the number of RMC coasters that are operating today, eh? NTAG, iRat, WC, OR, Goliath, Medusa, and so on. If ALL RMC coasters were ordered shut down, why is their very chain operating Outlaw Run today?

"All" to me means "everything" as in, "no one left behind"

"All" doesn't mean "some" or "a few"

The statement and information both given to Dollywood and Kolmarden were very recent and are just recalls. Recalls on a certain part and request to close RMCs are made by the company and it is the parks duty to follow through with said request. If anything happens at a park that has an RMC present does not follow through with the recall, it falls on the park and not the ride manufacturer. Same goes for a vehicle recall. Once the recall and request has been issued it is the responsibility of the owner to follow the suggestions of the manufacturer and get it fixed. Otherwise the fault does not fall on the manufacturer. The request was given out within the last 48 hours so it is up to all RMC owners to follow through. Yes the recall was for all coasters from the manufacturer and it is the responsibility of the park or parks to follow through with said request. If the park(s) decide it isn't worth worrying over and closing a ride over a possible defect that may or may not exist then they won't, if they are extremely careful sans Dollywood and Kolmarden, then they will close or delay a ride. The recall is not an order to close all rides but a request put out by the manufacturer (RMC). Better safe than sorry.

Pretty bold statement by DW considering the number of RMC coasters that are operating today, eh? NTAG, iRat, WC, OR, Goliath, Medusa, and so on. If ALL RMC coasters were ordered shut down, why is their very chain operating Outlaw Run today?

"All" to me means "everything" as in, "no one left behind"

"All" doesn't mean "some" or "a few"

The statement and information both given to Dollywood and Kolmarden were very recent and are just recalls. Recalls on a certain part and request to close RMCs are made by the company and it is the parks duty to follow through with said request. If anything happens at a park that has an RMC present does not follow through with the recall, it falls on the park and not the ride manufacturer. Same goes for a vehicle recall. Once the recall and request has been issued it is the responsibility of the owner to follow the suggestions of the manufacturer and get it fixed. Otherwise the fault does not fall on the manufacturer. The request was given out within the last 48 hours so it is up to all RMC owners to follow through. Yes the recall was for all coasters from the manufacturer and it is the responsibility of the park or parks to follow through with said request. If the park(s) decide it isn't worth worrying over and closing a ride over a possible defect that may or may not exist then they won't, if they are extremely careful sans Dollywood and Kolmarden, then they will close or delay a ride. The recall is not an order to close all rides but a request put out by the manufacturer (RMC). Better safe than sorry.

I'm sorry, who are you?

Once again, DW statement says "The ride manufacturer ordered all of its roller coasters closed until further notice as a recalled mechanical part is replaced." No where does it say 'request' or 'suggests' Kentucky Kingdom has already said their ride is not affected, thus my original statement still holds. Very bold statement to say 'ALL' when in fact that isn't the case.

Additionally, I know what a recall is, but thank you for explaining that out.

After all of that drama, it looks like the only two RMCs affected are Lightning Rod and Wildfire. Not sure how that equals "ordered all of its roller coasters closed" but whatever, it's not like DW has done a top-notch job with PR over the last three months...

Anyways, I'm currently driving away from Pigoen Forge, Tennessee after an absolutely AMAZING visit to Dollywood. As we can tell lightning rod was closed and obviously it was dissapointing, but that didn't stop me from having one of the most amazing park experiences In my life so far! Every coaster is top notch and very reridable. Thunderhead has to be one of the best roller coasters I've ever ridden let alone one of the best wooden coasters. It's just hands up fun the entire ride and we much as I love crazy ejector air, the fun pops of air on every hill are very fun, I could ride thunderhead for hours and not get tired of it. All of the other coasters were amazing as well my second favorite being Wild Eagle. I even got my mom to ride and like Mystery Mine and she hates eurofighters! Not to mention the food was wonderful, and the cinnamon bread was just as good as everyone said it was. Also the overall friendliness and hospitality of Dollywood just made everything so much better! All in all I had an absolutely amazing time and I'd like to thank Dollywood for such a great time. Can't wait to come back and finally ride lightning rod in the future! Thank you Dollywood!

^ It's nice to see someone on here (especially someone in their teens) that can overlook the disappointment of LR being down and still have a really awesome time at a great theme park with their family.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - your parents should be proud!

Yeah LR was closed when we went yesterday too. Was a little disappointing but expected. The park was fun. Operations were really slow but that might just be because we had just gone to CP which has fantastic ops. Thunderhead and Wild Eagle are awesome, Mystery Mine is weird and fun, Tennessee Tornado is overrated but not terrible, FCE is a great family coaster. Food is good, staff is friendly even if slow.

Deleted post...

Speculation for any circumstances as to why or what a park's information is false or not is strictly uncalled for. No one knows what was said and Dollywood is doing the best they can to be open without breaking confidentiality for the company whom they contracted out to build the ride. Only those closest to the source will know what the order to cease operation said.

Deleted post...

Speculation for any circumstances as to why or what a park's information is false or not is strictly uncalled for. No one knows what was said and Dollywood is doing the best they can to be open without breaking confidentiality for the company whom they contracted out to build the ride. Only those closest to the source will know what the order to cease operation said.

Yeah but Dollywood could of done a better job with what they were telling guests. I don't know why it was necessary for the woman when I was there saying the ride manufacturer shut down 11 of their rides and naming other parks some of which don't even have RMCs. I was at Dollywood to ride LR. I don't care what was going on at other parks or with other rides. I also felt like she was talking down to me like I didn't know anything when in fact she obviously knew nothing. Assuming what she said about them closing @ 2PM on Thursday after RMC made the call about the recalled part is true then the park could of done a much better job letting us know as guests. I rode the tram into the park well after 2PM on Thursday and the driver told the whole tram to "Make sure you go ride Lightning Rod" before we got off. When A. the ride was closed and B. they apparently already knew it had no chance of opening for a few days.

In the end I went to guest services and they gave me a rain check ticket to return although since I live on the west coast it is not that easy for me to come back. It's just really disappointing. I get that stuff happens and obviously every park puts safety first. But it's June and parks are getting busy with schools out, etc. If they need to change a part I think RMC should be working 24/7 in their factory getting the new one's out and the respective parks, Dollywood in this case should be working 24/7 installing the new ones and doing whatever testing they need to so the ride is open during park hours.

Deleted post...

Yeah but Dollywood could of done a better job with what they were telling guests. I don't know why it was necessary for the woman when I was there saying the ride manufacturer shut down 11 of their rides and naming other parks some of which don't even have RMCs. I was at Dollywood to ride LR. I don't care what was going on at other parks or with other rides. I also felt like she was talking down to me like I didn't know anything when in fact she obviously knew nothing. Assuming what she said about them closing @ 2PM on Thursday after RMC made the call about the recalled part is true then the park could of done a much better job letting us know as guests. I rode the tram into the park well after 2PM on Thursday and the driver told the whole tram to "Make sure you go ride Lightning Rod" before we got off. When A. the ride was closed and B. they apparently already knew it had no chance of opening for a few days.

In the end I went to guest services and they gave me a rain check ticket to return although since I live on the west coast it is not that easy for me to come back. It's just really disappointing. I get that stuff happens and obviously every park puts safety first. But it's June and parks are getting busy with schools out, etc. If they need to change a part I think RMC should be working 24/7 in their factory getting the new one's out and the respective parks, Dollywood in this case should be working 24/7 installing the new ones and doing whatever testing they need to so the ride is open during park hours.

I'm not one to complain about complainers, but you have got to be kidding. Nobody, not even RMC, could have seen this recall coming. Yes, it sucks that you live far away, yes it sucks that it is taking forever to open this thing, but it is what it is. I may be going to Dollywood at the end of next month, but I'm not going to write two paragraphs of how I deserve to ride it just because it's closed for a safety reason if it ends up being closed.

^ It's nice to see someone on here (especially someone in their teens) that can overlook the disappointment of LR being down and still have a really awesome time at a great theme park with their family.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - your parents should be proud!

Agreed! Lightning Rod was closed when I was there last year, and I still had a great time!

I forgot to screenshot it, but the part recall in regards to Lightning Rod is currently a trending topic on Facebook's ticker.

Is it? I see plenty of stuff that I couldn't care less about on the ticker. In fact, that's the first time I've ever seen a theme park thing show up there. I don't even follow Dollywood!

In-ter-est-ing. Well, keep an eye out, it may show up there.

Those who say it's overheating, I feel that's not the issue and here's why..last Saturday I was in line, it closed.. when it closed they continued and continued to launch trains, and they launched more frequently... this wouldn't allow it to cool down.. after a few hours, it opened back up

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Excellent information. The sensors/computer rumours seem to be more likely then. I wonder what the sensors are picking up though. Could this all be related to the latest recall? I know we should all be patient and ride it when ready, but I find the subject interesting, oh and I got to ride it! HA!!

Those who say it's overheating, I feel that's not the issue and here's why..last Saturday I was in line, it closed.. when it closed they continued and continued to launch trains, and they launched more frequently... this wouldn't allow it to cool down.. after a few hours, it opened back up

Excellent information. The sensors/computer rumours seem to be more likely then. I wonder what the sensors are picking up though. Could this all be related to the latest recall? I know we should all be patient and ride it when ready, but I find the subject interesting, oh and I got to ride it! HA!!

Thanks, I have only been there twice now that it has been running but both times it was like this when it went down.. they continued to launch trains so I wouldn't think this would allow them to cool off.. I know the sensor issue is still only a rumor but they could be the issue..

I bet the recall is for the same part that is recalled on wildfire.. for wildfire they said it is a cylinder on the restraints and each restraint has two of them.. one is a backup.. this was what the park said on their Facebook about wildfire

Just a quick observation, and it is quite annoying. (and I know there are others who feel the same) Why must people post something and then tell us all it was sent from their piddly pitty patty tappy yappy talkie phone ? Are you getting some kind of commission from your phone company? Turn that stupid message off people.

Just a quick observation, and it is quite annoying. (and I know there are others who feel the same) Why must people post something and then tell us all it was sent from their piddly pitty patty tappy yappy talkie phone ? Are you getting some kind of commission from your phone company? Turn that stupid message off people.

Tapatalk default signature. Checks for device info.

Most probably don't realize it's configurable.

Edited by STDog