TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Hell, late last year I had issues with the B&M invert restraints. Talon in the fall and Batman during HITP was an issue for me. I got in, but just barely. Batman I had to open my layers of jackets in 30 degree weather and have multiple ops/friends "assist" me just to get the belt to buckle. Horrible.

I made it a point to drop some pounds - down almost 15lbs since the holidays/Xmas - and so far so good this year (also wearing less clothes than I was for the Talon/Batman rides I'm sure is helping).

Hell, late last year I had issues with the B&M invert restraints. Talon in the fall and Batman during HITP was an issue for me. I got in, but just barely. Batman I had to open my layers of jackets in 30 degree weather and have multiple ops/friends "assist" me just to get the belt to buckle. Horrible.

I made it a point to drop some pounds - down almost 15lbs since the holidays/Xmas - and so far so good this year (also wearing less clothes than I was for the Talon/Batman rides I'm sure is helping).

Don't blame yourself. We all had approximately 17 jackets on at once during Holiday in the Park.

Wow, I came here to get some updates on DW for my trip next week but all this thread seems to be is a random 'off topic' thread?

Lightning Rod is open. all you need to know, have fun.

We arrived at Dollywood around 8pm Thursday to buy Friday's tickets and take in the included after 3pm admission. As we got off the shuttle, my heart sunk as I read Lightning Rod listed under rides not running. We bought anyway and decide to walk over and check the ride structure out. As we approached an empty train launched! I was so excited, my wife made fun of me and said I looked like a kid. The line was open and we rushed in. I asked for a back seat ride, got it and then re-entered the line for a front seat, in the dark, 9:30pm ride. Amazing, the coaster instantly shot into my top five. I prefer the back seat as the air was a little more aggressive. The lateral air is the best I have ever experienced. I can't wait for today to go back, but last night made my vacation! Come to Dollywood, you won't be disappointed!

For anyone how has visited Dollywood the last few days: how was the reliability of Lightning Rod?

Was it down often? 1-train-operation? Seems like it's hit and miss to get the credit?

It's been two trains from what I can tell this week.. not sure about down time.. I have a friend who works there and he checked and said today it is two trains when he walked by

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

For anyone how has visited Dollywood the last few days: how was the reliability of Lightning Rod?

Was it down often? 1-train-operation? Seems like it's hit and miss to get the credit?

As I mentioned earlier, my family arrived Thursday to find the ride closed until 8:30pm, where it opened for the night. Today it was running at least until we left at 2pm, however when we returned around 6pm, signs were up claiming "extended commissioning" and it will be closed for the rest of the day. The coaster is not reliable enough to count on riding on only one day attendance, however if you were in the area for a few days, you will probably ride it. They are running two trains. Dispatch times are very slow though. It's hard to tell if it's on purpose, but I got a hunch it is. I noticed a ride mechanic crew always on hand.

Frustating for everyone involved, especially because it's such an awesome ride. I am really curious what is causing all the sudden down time. Overheating and the subsequent damage sounds like the most logical theory. I feel very lucky we got to ride twice and at night, but coasters should not be this hit or miss, hopefully they figure it out. No night rides for me tonight.

Perhaps they should just close it again until it's 100% perfect 'entitled winger proof' because it seems to poor park can't catch a break.

Is closed people complain

It's opened for testing so they can get people on it where possible people complain

It opens properly but isn't perfect and people complain.

I can't wait to get a 'chance' to ride next week after traveling so far and am so greatful the park is busting ass so hard to get as many people as they realistically can get on a ride that still probably has some kinks to work out.

Perhaps if people were more concerned with the fun of riding one of the world's great rides and less about 'getting a credit' they would be less but hurt about it having issues.

When I was there Wednesday it opened late (between 11-11:30). I Rode it about 1 after a 45 minute wait. Both trains were running. When I came back by that way a little after 3 it was down, and from what I heard it was pretty much down the rest of the day. I was planning on staying until closing, but by 8pm they were telling people it would not be back up again that day.

Perhaps if people were more concerned with the fun of riding one of the world's great rides and less about 'getting a credit' they would be less but hurt about it having issues.

This doesn't even make sense. In this case, it's pretty clear people are "but hurt" because they want to ride one of the world's greatest rides, not because of getting a credit.

Really? Doubtful. It's because people want to know they can get in and get out and ride the coaster.

If they aren't credit obsessed then sticking around for a day or two to find a time to ride wouldn't be a problem.

Take it with a grain of salt but the coaster might be closed again until next week, perhaps because of sensor and computer issues.

http://www.kicentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/31862-dollywood-2016/page-3

Eventually the same reason why Wildfire's opening is postponed to replace the restraint cyclinders?

Edited by appel

Those who say it's overheating, I feel that's not the issue and here's why..last Saturday I was in line, it closed.. when it closed they continued and continued to launch trains, and they launched more frequently... this wouldn't allow it to cool down.. after a few hours, it opened back up

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Take it with a grain of salt but the coaster might be closed again until next week, perhaps because of sensor and computer issues.

http://www.kicentral.com/forums/index.php/topic/31862-dollywood-2016/page-3

Eventually the same reason why Wildfire's opening is postponed to replace the restraint cyclinders?

From time to time, new coasters will requires sensor adjusting as the ride breaks in. Minor issue, they have not called us for help, but we're here of course if they need us!

BP

Irvine-Ondrey Engineering

^^ I love his documentaries

+1. That guy does a great job. So good that I can even ignore the at least one incredibly cheesy song or feature of each video!

Really? Doubtful. It's because people want to know they can get in and get out and ride the coaster.

If they aren't credit obsessed then sticking around for a day or two to find a time to ride wouldn't be a problem.

I was going to point out the flaws in your logic, but I think you're pretty well worth ignoring all together.

Forgive me because I might have missed it but I'm not seeing where in that linked thread it says closed till next week?

If they aren't going to the manufacturer for adjustment to sensors I can't see it being much, probably just minor alignment.

I don't know if any park anywhere altering control systems without consultation with the manufacturer.

I was going to point out the flaws in your logic, but I think you're pretty well worth ignoring all together.

This is pretty much where I ended up in regard to it as well!