TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

aww poor you having to sit on a brake run for an extra 30 seconds.

Easier said then done. Just like when you wish you were very cold when you are hot and when your cold, you wish it was 40 degrees. (Celsius) So when it's actually 40 degrees on a regular day, you ask yourself why did I wish it was 40 degrees when it was cold.

It would be hell just waiting to get off because the sun is beaming on you. While someone is arguing.

Easier said then done. Just like when you wish you were very cold when you are hot and when your cold, you wish it was 40 degrees. (Celsius) So when it's actually 40 degrees on a regular day, you ask yourself why did I wish it was 40 degrees when it was cold

14e50ab352749195f0cb2cc0cebfb4c3.jpg

In my whole life I had never had a problem fitting a RMC coaster. I've ridden Outlaw, New Texas Giant, Goliath, Iron Ratler and never even needed that extra push. However last year I was at SFNE and rode Wicked Cyclone both in the front and last row (and I fit just fine) and before leaving the park that day I decided I wanted to ride it one more time. Since I had already ridden in both front and back, I decided I was gonna seat at whatever seat it was originally assigned to me. So I got to my seat (row 3 or 4 maybe?), pulled down the lapbar and the operator told me it didn't fit. I told her that was odd, cause I had ridden that coaster twice that day. Assuming that seat had a much less foriginvg sensor than the others, I asked her if I could exit the train and wait for the next one to ride at either the front or back, where I had previously ridden before and fit with room to spare. She told me that every seat was the same and that if I don't fit one, I won't fit any of them (which we all know it's a lie regarding RMC). In the end they pushed a bit harder and I was ok to go, but this proves that sometimes it's not the riders fault and that operators should be more prepared to deal with that kind of situation.

Edited by Mrenata

Easier said then done. Just like when you wish you were very cold when you are hot and when your cold, you wish it was 40 degrees. (Celsius) So when it's actually 40 degrees on a regular day, you ask yourself why did I wish it was 40 degrees when it was cold

14e50ab352749195f0cb2cc0cebfb4c3.jpg

If only we could Survivor-style vote someone off TPR each month. Month might not be often enough, so weekly could work too.

I think the fluffier users on TPR do a pretty good job informing each other on which rides require extra attention. Let's let the experts give each other advice, okay?

If only we could Survivor-style vote someone off TPR each month. Month might not be often enough, so weekly could work too.

You know that would also affect yourself. So you want to deactivate your account next month?

You know that would also affect yourself. So you want to deactivate your account next month?

Who said he'd be voted off?

Ahhhh, so here's the definition of irony. Poster posts this lovely pile o' crap.....

Easier said then done. Just like when you wish you were very cold when you are hot and when your cold, you wish it was 40 degrees. (Celsius) So when it's actually 40 degrees on a regular day, you ask yourself why did I wish it was 40 degrees when it was cold.

Then follows up one post later with this.....

Perhaps you should take your own advice then??

The forum has spoken.....*snuffs out torch*

Getting that out of the way, I have to say the POV's for LR look even more AMAZING than I imagined!! What a beauty of a coaster!! Just wow! That airtime on the quad down just looks

As for those complaining about the "extra time" spent while others are taking too long to board the ride or whatever, methinks you're being a smidge dramatic. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal, and I would certainly hope that wouldn't ruin your day at a fine park like Dollywood!

Who said he'd be voted off?

Who said he wouldn't?

After watching videos of the two latest RMC creations, I have come to a few conclusions:

1. Both Lightning Rod and Wildfire look fantastic.

2. Both Dollywood and Kolmarden have the most beautiful settings possible for a roller coaster this side of Ocean Park in Hong Kong.

Agreed. I hope more parks give RMC the freedom, space and budget to make longer custom wood coasters. Wildfire looks like the "best of" compilation of what RMC can do.

I've never seen more whining about a park in my entire life. I hope I never have to be stuck in a ride queue with any of yall.

That is why they have the Q-Bots........

To force a segue into a question I had:

I'm planning a trip in July with 3 friends. I assume the TimeSaver Q-Bot works the same as at Six Flags, aka buy it online for a certain day, go to a building and pick it up, and reserve your ride times throughout the day?

Also, it seems like the cheapest bet for the actual tickets and parking is to buy them discounted from a participating grocery store, and take the tram into and out of the park?

It's incredibly ironic that a hobby that bigger people seem to love requires you to be somewhat in shape. Haha

This isn't just an out of shape issue though.

Lots of physically fit people can't ride either. I had drill instructors that wouldn't fit. One had biceps the size of my thighs.

Our definition of physically fit has changed drastically over the past several decades, with over 2/3rds of Americans being technically overweight and 1/3 of those people being morbidly obese. I always see on facebook these people saying "my boyfriend didn't fit this ride and he's not fat, he just has big shoulders." Out of curiosity I facebook creep and confirm that said person is indeed clearly overweight. However, it's typical of the American mentality to blame the seats instead of the person. Meanwhile, being actually considered physically fit as opposed to the American norm, I'm left swimming in widening car seats, furniture, etc. Even if a person had shredded massive legs and 3% body fat, to the point where they wouldn't fit into a RMC coaster car (virtually impossible scenario), that still doesn't mean it's healthy.

I could go on and on about why America is getting fatter and why we are constantly developing new diseases due to our high carbohydrate/low fat diets, but I'll save that for another forum.

I'm 6'5", and pretty muscular. I'm sure he fit fine

I'm not sure. He was ~5-6, probably 250lb, all muscle. His thighs were nearly as big as my waist.

A weightlifter acquaintance of mine would likely have difficulty too for similar reasons.

I've seen more than a few of his build not fit WE or MM.

But yeh, most of the people that don't fit are not bodybuilders/weight lifters.

Even if the above people really are shredded and massive, you're talking about a VERY VERY VERY small percentage of people, as opposed to the people who are clearly overweight. Again, there's still a difference between being healthy and being a body builder.

I'm sorry if my points came across harsh, but it's fact. The great thing is that weight can be managed.

If it's that much of a big deal they should put a host by the test seat that pulls people out of the queue and makes them try the test seat like they did to me on Silver Star before barking "Reihe funf!" (the one with the fat boy seats)

Sure you'll get some hurt feelings but surely it's better to do it before getting on the ride?

However, it's typical of the American mentality to blame the seats instead of the person.

This.

I've never seen more whining about a park in my entire life. I hope I never have to be stuck in a ride queue with any of yall.

My apologies, I didn't realize I was in the presence of someone immune to the effects of oppressive heat and humidity that the region faced over the weekend. I'll take hot weather over cold any day of the week, but I was done with it by Sunday afternoon.

And suggesting that a park add mist fans to an outdoor switchback queue does not qualify as whining. If a Six Flags park can do it, so can Dollywood. The park already has them covering half of the Wilderness Pass area, so it's not a huge ask for them to add one or two to Lightning Rod's outdoor queue. We know they've had plenty of time to do so.

If it's that much of a big deal they should put a host by the test seat that pulls people out of the queue and makes them try the test seat

I wish they would. Not just Dollywood, but all parks with similar restraints.

Sure you'll get some hurt feelings but surely it's better to do it before getting on the ride?

That seams to be a big no at Dollywood, even to point of putting people in danger.

I've seen people allowed to ride with stuff they should not have and would be a danger to other if lost during the ride. Never seen them pull someone off a ride that refused to hand stuff over.

Granted most at DW aren't going to do that either. The geniality works both ways.

Much like this year is the first time they've had bag checks of any kind. And even then I still see plenty of outside food and drink in the park.

^^ I agree, that as long as the restraints on any ride or coaster are getting more streamlined or just made

differently, so who sits in the seat, has to fit. Period.

I found that out with The Beast here at Playland. And a test seat in front for it's first year, would have helped me

find out sooner, than after standing in line so long. And now that they do have one this season, I know I am still

not able to get that green light on.

And how much more $ would it add (to the total cost) for one of those with brand new (sensitive) coasters?

I barely fit into Premier trains, mostly because of my legs. Who would have guessed that 190lbs is overweight for someone that is 6ft tall?

Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 140.2 lbs - 189.5 lbs

http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html

You'd be surprised what qualified as overweight, man. It's all relative to our surroundings and what the eye sees everyday. The 'average' American is overweight and our bodies aren't meant to carry around all of this extra baggage. The new "normal" is not normal to our genetic roots. The FDA food recommendations have set us all up for failure, but people are catching on. High carb/low fat is a detriment to our physical health and a recipe for obesity, diabetes, and the growing number of neurological disorders.

However, it's typical of the American mentality to blame the seats instead of the person.

This.

My apologies, I didn't realize I was in the presence of someone immune to the effects of oppressive heat and humidity that the region faced over the weekend. I'll take hot weather over cold any day of the week, but I was done with it by Sunday afternoon.

And suggesting that a park add mist fans to an outdoor switchback queue does not qualify as whining. If a Six Flags park can do it, so can Dollywood. The park already has them covering half of the Wilderness Pass area, so it's not a huge ask for them to add one or two to Lightning Rod's outdoor queue. We know they've had plenty of time to do so.

I live, and have always lived in georgia. Oppressive heat?! Dude, if you can't stand in sunlight for 20 minutes...I'm not really sure what to tell ya. Hit the gym and chug some gatorades.