TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^ But really. I'm sure this will offend someone, but perhaps rather than the trains getting smaller, we're getting bigger.

Bingo.

That why they have test seats at the entrances. But few big people bother to use them. They assume they will fit instead of checking. Sorry if you are 250+ lbs you should check. If heavy for you height, check too.

At DW I see people with problems often on WE and MM. maybe not every train, bit if the queue is full you will see at least one before you ride. Even a few on TT.

It's incredibly ironic that a hobby that bigger people seem to love requires you to be somewhat in shape. Haha

This isn't just an out of shape issue though.

Lots of physically fit people can't ride either. I had drill instructors that wouldn't fit. One had biceps the size of my thighs.

Every train had someone who looked like they would have no problem fitting have an issue fitting. When they got up to walk out, it looked like "beer" bellies/ larger abdominal areas were to blame on otherwise regular looking smaller framed guys that couldn't ride and just larger abdominal areas in general on others preventing the lapbar from sitting properly on thighs.

But really, this didn't hurt wait times materially and isn't a big deal. The ride constantly faulting and going down is what's really hurting wait times

Edited by rollin_n_coastin

I was at 277 in april for the last several years I have floated in the mid 260's. this is changing though as I have started running a minimum of two miles every other day. That will increase as I get better. I never bothered with the test seats as I found out early on that every time I tried one out I wouldn't fit but I would be good to go when it came to the actual ride. The only things I don't fit on are Drop Tower at Kings Island and Wicked Twister at Cedar Point.

TL:DR test seats lie.

I'm 6'5", and pretty muscular. I'm sure he fit fine

I'm not sure. He was ~5-6, probably 250lb, all muscle. His thighs were nearly as big as my waist.

A weightlifter acquaintance of mine would likely have difficulty too for similar reasons.

I've seen more than a few of his build not fit WE or MM.

But yeh, most of the people that don't fit are not bodybuilders/weight lifters.

Where in the park can you buy this magical cinnamon bread everyone talks about?

(My first visit to DW is coming up July 25--29)

The grist mill. It's near the entrance of Craftsman's valley and has a big water wheel on it. You can't miss it. ou can enter on top sort of near the S&S swing too.

Name one time when the test seat was a GO but the ride was a NOGO.

(and not when you had people smash the restraints for you)

They may turn away faster, but if the test said GO then you won't have issues.

It's the NOGOs that try anyway that spend 5 minutes trying to get a GO on the ride and end up with an uncomfortable experience.

If someone want to test the limits, do it when not busy.

But honestly, I've seldom seen big guys use the test seats. Normally it's kids or females.

ou can enter on top sort of near the S&S swing too.

That would be Owens Farm, across from the entrance to Barnstormer and Mountain Slidewinder.

The latter being a nice, unusual ride and great views of Wild Eagle on the walk to the top.

It's also one of the older rides there, and one of the first after Dolly got involved, being added in '87.

Edited by STDog

Name one time when the test seat was a GO but the ride was a NOGO.

(and not when you had people smash the restraints for you)

They may turn away faster, but if the test said GO then you won't have issues.

It's the NOGOs that try anyway that spend 5 minutes trying to get a GO on the ride and end up with an uncomfortable experience.

If someone want to test the limits, do it when not busy.

But honestly, I've seldom seen big guys use the test seats. Normally it's kids or females.

So sorry to slow down your day in your perfect world. What I am saying is I have had the test seat tell me I was too big when I was able to fit so I don't use them anymore.

Where in the park can you buy this magical cinnamon bread everyone talks about?

(My first visit to DW is coming up July 25--29)

The grist mill. It's near the entrance of Craftsman's valley and has a big water wheel on it. You can't miss it. ou can enter on top sort of near the S&S swing too.

Thanks!

So sorry to slow down your day in your perfect world. What I am saying is I have had the test seat tell me I was too big when I was able to fit so I don't use them anymore.

Really sucks on a hot day to sit in the brake run while one guy fights to get in a seat he's too big for. All because he's smarter than the ride ops that put the test seats out there to prevent such issues.

If the test seat doesn't give you a GO comfortably, then you shouldn't be on the ride.

If you ever manage to find seats that you do comfortable sit in (or reduce size so you fit comfortably) I'll bet the ride is more fun.

And the same goes for small people, who while tall enough, end up loose in the restraints. My daughter really doesn't like a few rides because she's really not quite big enough for them. Sure they hold her safely, but the ride is less fun. Thunderhead in particular, with the bar all the way down she slides around in the seat. A few yeas ago this applied to TT and MM too, though less of an issue than TH.

In the sweltering heat of last weekend, sitting on the brake run waiting on the train ahead to dispatch was not fun, especially when a rider was delaying the dispatch by struggling to fit into a seat. First world problem? Yes. But if this is going to be a long-term issue, it wouldn't hurt to throw up a roof over that short stretch of track. It seems to be working for the bees.

While on the subject of heat, the overflow queue, although covered, could really use some of those misting fans from Wilderness Pass.

After watching videos of the two latest RMC creations, I have come to a few conclusions:

1. Both Lightning Rod and Wildfire look fantastic.

2. Both Dollywood and Kolmarden have the most beautiful settings possible for a roller coaster this side of Ocean Park in Hong Kong.

Edited by cfc