TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Went up tonight rode about 7:30pm. Used my phone GPS tracker and it said my top speed was 50.9 mph. Not sure how accurate it is on a roller coaster, but in my car it is spot on. Also went back for a night ride at 9:15pm broke down for 10 minutes and then opened it back. After 2 more trains dispatched it broke again and they evached the folks in the train waiting to come in to the station. Finally closed it for the night at that point. No night ride for me.

Where are you getting 50.9, just the launch?

That was the max speed during the ride according to the app. In no way am i claiming the app to be accurate for roller-coasters, just sharing what it said. Feel free to agree or disagree on the accuracy of it. also the airtime was amazing. I rode it on 5-30 and then again today and both rides were great!!!!

It probably doesn't check your location often enough to give an accurate number.

I'm no speed or GPS expert and that could be it. It would be neat to do it on a few other coasters and see if it any closer to the speed they post. This was my first time trying it. When I went back for my next ride I was going to try a different speed app via GPS, but it broke down.

In line for the fifth ride of the weekend before heading home. LR unofficially opened on Saturday morning with no restrictions on lines and hours, other than some downtime here and there, which engineers solved relatively quickly. They kept the line open right until 10pm on Saturday night. It also opened with the park on Saturday. Night rides on LR are insane. Once you're whipped over the hill, it's pitch black the rest of the way. Just incredible.

Sunday the park was relatively quiet and the evening was basically park ERT, which was a blast. Five minute wait for everything except Lighting Rod, with the line starting near the last set of stairs on the second floor. Sunday night the ride closed at 9:30pm or so since there was an issue that engineers couldn't get to before park closing at 10pm.

I would plan for LR to be down anywhere between 15 minutes to 45 minutes, up to three times while in line, while they fully work everything out. This has been the experience this weekend and again this morning.

Overall, the crew is fantastic. The ride is fantastic. It was awesome seeing other TPR friends around this weekend. What a great second visit to Dollywood, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Can't wait to come back soon.

Absolutely great news that it's now fully open!

Still problems, did not open with the park:

Quote from Facebook https://www.facebook.com/dollywood

"More problems with lighting rod! In line now at front and the ride jut closed with issues. Would expect issues on a new ride but this ride has had more than enough time to get the issues resolved with the late opening!

Been in the park three hours. Not been in a ride yet and $1000 spent on passes and fast pass!"

^Yeah, it appears to be having issues today but I was just pointing out that it did open with the park. Plus, the amount of drama in that Facebook rant.

Ah, I misread your original post, my apologies. Pretty heartbreaking to see it have issues on opening day but glad to see the park is getting more and more confident in the ride. +

Awesome that they have finally gotten it officially open! Now, I look forward to an announcement of Thrill in the Hills reschedule date, as I've already paid for my tickets, and want to finally be able to finish planning my Summer out! Can't wait to get on this beauty!

This has certainly been an unconventional/rushed grand opening announcement/media blitz, but you can't fault the park in a situation like this.

It will be interesting to see if they have a formal media day or instead opt to promote the opening directly to targeted media outlets. I'm sure they don't want to unnecessarily close the ride for any type of media event during park hours.

Hopefully they'll get some professional behind-the-hill shots of trains in action with riders. And while they're at it, a higher quality POV would be great — I think the video released today is almost a disservice to an amazing ride.

At the end of the day, Lightning Rod needs little publicity or fanfare. Word of mouth from those who have ridden it will be plenty.