TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I`m all for humor and the more (good) jokes, the better...but that "Illneveropen" stuff is the most annoying thing I ever experienced on this forum...

Hush hush, it's an original, unique joke that transcends forums and even time itself. It's a magnificent work of comedic genius. Oh wait...

This and the boat thing from the Cedar Point thread (plus its spillover) has been some of the worst, most forced stuff I've seen on this forum. We've reached new highs of shitposting in 2016, that's for sure.

Glad the trend is dying down before this site becomes memeparkreview.

I don't know what the boat thing is, but if it's anything even half as bad as #Itllneveropen, I don't think I want to know.

etc. etc. etc. etc.

I don't know what the boat thing is, but if it's anything even half as bad as #Itllneveropen, I don't think I want to know.

People obsessively checked the Valravn construction cam. Once there was a single boat in the marina in like December. People lost their damn minds, for some reason.

Also,

memeparkreview

beautiful.

Guys - There comes a point when a joke is funny, then not funny, then funny again...

But this has now gotten to the point where it hasn't been funny for a while and it's making this thread impossible to read. I realize this is just my opinion, but it's also my forum. I really would like to see this thread get back to actually discussing the park instead of becoming a parody of itself. If there is no news or anything to report, that's fine, let's wait until there is something to talk about.

You guys had your fun, but let's turn things around back to being on topic again.

Thank you.

So it's got to be down to the control system, right? The launch is working, clearly it's safe and reliable enough for human riders... the only thing missing is running both trains.

I'm still just scratching my head at how a coaster can be in "technical rehearsal", but be unable to open fully. The control system being an issue is the only thing that makes sense to me.

So it's got to be down to the control system, right? The launch is working, clearly it's safe and reliable enough for human riders... the only thing missing is running both trains.

I'm still just scratching my head at how a coaster can be in "technical rehearsal", but be unable to open fully. The control system being an issue is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Brian and the team at Irvine Ondrey Engineering (who did the controls) have already publicly stated that they have completed their commissioning of the ride, therefore their duties are complete. If there were ongoing issues with the control systems, they would not have been released from the job site (nor would they be publicly stating their job is finished).

Considering the issues they had with the launch initially, the reduced "soft opening" ride capacity, and the single train operation, my educated guess is they're still having teething problems with the launch system in the form of overheating. LSM launch systems generate an enormous amount of heat and their power output + efficiency becomes drastically reduced when subject to excessive operating temperatures from insufficient cooling.

Edited by Snovi

Our side of the commissioning is complete, and all went well. It is finished to satisfaction for all clients. You may see IOE on site but as support staff only as our side of the project is complete and working as expected; this is an all hands on deck project.

Thank you.

BP

Irvine-Ondrey Engineering

Went to the park yesturday and got to ride LR!!! It was around 5:45pm and they were only letting in groups of 35 or 40 at a time. So the line was very deceiving. Thinking it could be a 2.5hr wait when it's not at all. This damn ride is freaking amazing the launch is not aggressive at all but still hauls ass up the hill and Dolly's boob section is life especially the plummet into the valley. There's no part of this ride that you remain in your seat. This thing hauls ass and maintains speed throughout the entire course. That quadruple down is my favorite part. I did feel bad for those who were waiting still, we were the last riders for the day it was 6:05pm the park closed st 7pm but the decided to close the ride. It was open for only 3 or 4 hours.

Our side of the commissioning is complete, and all went well. It is finished to satisfaction for all clients. You may see IOE on site but as support staff only as our side of the project is complete and working as expected; this is an all hands on deck project.

Thank you.

BP

Irvine-Ondrey Engineering

Ah, I see. Thanks for the insight. I was just throwing something out there since the answers to a lot of these questions have been buried in this thread.

Snovi, the LSM issue seems like a good guess. That could also explain why they are seemingly only able to operate it for limited times and why they don't want to let a proper line form.

I'm sure they should be able to get something in place this month to take care of the issue.

I rode LR a week ago today. The rumor then among folks waiting in line was a 'sensor' issue. Computers and sensors weren't aligned.

I'm not passing along as fact, and have no idea if that even makes sense - but just providing some color on all of the speculation. This is what happens when the park remains quiet. Everyone starts throwing out theories and rumors.

If its not running this weekend I think Dollywood has to come out and make a statement.

Edited by bachir

Brian and the team at Irvine Ondrey Engineering (who did the controls) have already publicly stated that they have completed their commissioning of the ride, therefore their duties are complete. If there were ongoing issues with the control systems, they would not have been released from the job site (nor would they be publicly stating their job is finished).

Considering the issues they had with the launch initially, the reduced "soft opening" ride capacity, and the single train operation, my educated guess is they're still having teething problems with the launch system in the form of overheating. LSM launch systems generate an enormous amount of heat and their power output + efficiency becomes drastically reduced when subject to excessive operating temperatures from insufficient cooling.

How do they cool it? Liquid cooling?

There are two primary ways LSM stators can be cooled: convection (air) and water cooling. Convection cooling can either be natural convection (i.e. no fans, just natural ambient air... think of a fanless computer) or forced convection (i.e. a fan blowing air over the stator's heatsink, just like a fan in a computer).

More often then not in launched amusement rides, the stators are cooled via convection. Obviously a fanless or natural convection setup is preferable due to fewer components (and no moving parts), but much greater operating temperature requirements are needed to maintain their efficiency. As for what type of setup Lightning Rod uses, I haven't seen a close enough photo of the launch to make an educated assessment.

On a WHOLE other side of the park - River Battle's getting bad and needs a complete off season refurb. 90% of the targets don't work, few of the water effects work. The ride is a great people eater and really could be more fun than it is with the interactivity restored. The set pieces should probably be covered or moved inside storage if they aren't fully attached instead of letting them sit out all winter - would probably keep them looking brighter and better for longer. I wouldn't see this being a huge expense, just seems like they have let this slide into a "meh" raft ride that goes in a little curvy path instead of the fun and visual dynamics it could be - If they aren't going to fix the targets Id say just remove them and see if they can reactivate some of the effects/animation without them. OK - back to the other side of the park!

^They half-assed it from the get-go. Compare SDC's version to it, and its obvious they went with the cheapest props available. It needs to be completely redone. Heck, a lot of that area needs some help to feel as special as the rest of the park. The "outdoor adventure" theme shouldn't be an excuse to be as plain and unoriginal as possible. They did a good job on Firechaser at least.

If we're talking about the future already, I have a feeling DW will get something similar to Fireman's Landing at SDC soon. Something involving a big indoor play area with some rides around it. Maybe they'll use the fireworks factory theme they keep trying to find a place for at SDC.

Ugh. This weekday technical rehearsal routine is frustrating to say the least. Fingers crossed for this weekend, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't understand why you NEED to rush out and try to ride it ASAP. You live a few hours away by car so you can go anytime, why not just go down and ride it when you hear it's up and running and reliable rather than waste that time to go when it might not be open?

We are waiting until late July!

Edited by robbalvey

all that i ask from dollywood... drop tower where timber tower was... please.... PLEASE

Be careful what you ask for . . .

How did Dueling Lightning Rods work out?

Hey . . . One aspect was wrong! Lol.