TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

During all the testing last night between 7:30 or so and close I did see a mid launch stall and reverse to station. Not sure if that's the problem or they were trying to "recreate" the problem to test a fix. back to the park in a little bit so who knows. Looks like third times NOT a charm with trips to the park to try to ride so far this season. Maybe the 4th (hint hint)

What do you recommend to eat at Dollywood?

I'll be there in two weeks. I hope to have a chance to ride Lightning Rod at least once.

As a guy that literally has no interest in sweets whatsoever, I vote for Cinnamon Bread as well (as one of the awesome skillet options).

As far as Lightning Rod, can't help you there other than to say...

#Itllneveropen

Maybe they will just change the lift to a regular chain lift. They can't have a season were the coaster is breaking down half the time.

I think they'd probably bring in a new subcontractor to work on the launch before they did that. The launch is the "big deal" about the ride and what their marketing materials center around.

That said I'm starting to think of Timber Tower. Granted that ride was awful and not worth saving, but still...

A 35-40 MPH chain lift would bring quite the attention I don't think they'd be able to get the ride to the right speed with a chain lift. The lift would probably have to be 50 ft or so taller at the first crest. Good idea though.

Ok, but let's say that did happen... Couldn't they just combine the top of the coaster into one tall hill, instead of the double dip it does now? Possibly with an elevator cable lift like el toro, before they slowed it down at the top....

Ok, but let's say that did happen... Couldn't they just combine the top of the coaster into one tall hill, instead of the double dip it does now? Possibly with an elevator cable lift like el toro, before they slowed it down at the top....

What about just a pre-drop?

They started testing last night about 8 or so and firing trains every few minutes. As we were leaving the park at close I heard an employee say to a couple of janitorial employees " you want to ride it go over to the exit stairs" so sounds like they are still testing, and still kimited testing with at least employees riding after hours. Good lord this is getting rediculous!

I've never heard of so much human "testing". Usually the ride is cleared and then it's game on. There is no need for extended staff testing either. The coaster obviously works, so I wonder what exactly are the problems with the launch.

That's the thing. It's working.... Multiple times... In a row so what's the issue? I know as they are running these tests their not loading and unloading but last week it was proven they could even do that.

They started testing last night about 8 or so and firing trains every few minutes. As we were leaving the park at close I heard an employee say to a couple of janitorial employees " you want to ride it go over to the exit stairs" so sounds like they are still testing, and still kimited testing with at least employees riding after hours. Good lord this is getting rediculous!

I've never heard of so much human "testing". Usually the ride is cleared and then it's game on. There is no need for extended staff testing either. The coaster obviously works, so I wonder what exactly are the problems with the launch.

That's the thing. It's working.... Multiple times... In a row so what's the issue? I know as they are running these tests their not loading and unloading but last week it was proven they could even do that.

Exactly. They can load, unload, run humans, they can deal with fairly large quantities. Only thing they haven't done is run two trains.

I have been curious about the two trains thing. It would kind of solve all the questions about the limited testing. Just thinking out loud but could it be a computer system glitch or other issue to where they can only run one train? If that's the case I could see them keeping it closed this weekend as running one train with a Memorial Day crowd would be a nightmare. This would also make sense why one train is in storage off the track.

I have been curious about the two trains thing. It would kind of solve all the questions about the limited testing. Just thinking out loud but could it be a computer system glitch or other issue to where they can only run one train?

Considering they can't get one train to launch reliably, I would say it's more likely that they just don't want to bother putting both trains on at once until they get it sorted.

Well, I know when the ride is hopefully up and running in the future, all the problems will be forgotten, but right now I am not very confident that they can solve the difficulties in a few days. They have seemingly not soft opened in the last three days, the second train sits still, ongoing work on the launch hill, etc....

It's hard to stay positive when you have an upcoming visit in July, eventually missing the coaster. Just wanted to express my mood..

Any other sheeple waking up fron their drug induced cyber sleeps yet? Is the cool aid wearing off? Is reality setting in? Any one wanna come join me on the dark side? We have cookies.

#Itllneveropen

I now firmly believe that the ghostly image in your avatar is saying to all of us: #Itllneveropen.

It's kinda like the Baked Bean Teeth/Cantstandya guy from Seinfeld!