TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Guys, everyone really does need to pull it together in this thread.

If you don't like a joke, ignore it.

If you feel a different way than a certain poster, feel free to write back your opinion in a respectful manner.

If you're writing to a director of a park, show some respect.

If you're writing to a park employee, show some respect.

If you're writing to a moderator, show some respect.

If you're writing to any other human being, show some respect.

Why does everyone have to be so full of hate online? It's really sad. You're all arguing over a roller coaster / amusement park / forum!!! Just try and have fun and stop hating on everything.

Definitely worth repeating.

I'm just really baffled why in this thread it's treason to badmouth a rollercoaster? Everyone has different likes and dislikes about coasters. Hell, I think gatekeeper is awesome, but the whole thread doesn't whine and cry about the opinions. Jeez.

It goes both ways. If you go to a message full of sports fans of a certain team, tell the fans how overrated their team is, you should expect to receive some form of backlash.

You have also been all over the place with your posts as well.

First you say this:

Lightning Rod is really good. It may not be the best of the best woodies out there, and I personally think it's glaringly missing at least 1 really good inversion, but is a good solid ride. Keep in mind this is,my very FIRST rmc.

And then you say this:

Here's some new drama: Dollywood is overpriced as hell to get in and Lightning Rod wasnt all that. Discuss.

And then it is backing to being great:

I honestly don't mean to come across so negative. I think lightning rod was great, but yeah I think it would have put it into the stratosphere if it had a signature RMC stall or corked roll.

This one is strange because you don't know what a signature RMC stall or corked roll feels like yet that is what kept it from being "in the stratosphere".

And then finally this:

I mean, the ride isn't all that. Sorry about it. The launch is just a fast elevator lift...

If you want your opinion to be respected, try to be a little more consistent in it.

I reread my posts and I think I remained pretty consistent. Not the best ride ever, but pretty great. And oh yeah, I think it could use an inversion or two.

Nothing really earth shattering here,my man

If you feel a different way than a certain poster, feel free to write back your opinion in a respectful manner.

Why does everyone have to be so full of hate online? It's really sad. You're all arguing over a roller coaster / amusement park / forum!!! Just try and have fun and stop hating on everything.

100% agree. Except in my case. I deserve no respect, cause I can barely be considered a human being. But that should go without saying.

This one is strange because you don't know what a signature RMC stall or corked roll feels like yet that is what kept it from being "in the stratosphere".

This is actually a good point. On other RMCs, the zero g rolls or stalls are fun elements that provide a nice breather from the more intense hills. The rolls themselves are NOT "intense" force wise - by design. They're just fun and floaty.

Lightning Rod is actually MORE intense because it lacks these elements. There is absolutely no chance to catch your breath. There's no moment of "zero G" because it's all negative G - up to -1.0 according to the safety spiel and I believe it.

Perhaps DefeatestNation had unrealistic expectations for his or her first RMC. But I can honestly say that it's the most intense RMC in the country (except for the other two 2016 ones, which I have not yet ridden), and part of that is because it lacks inversions. While fun, they are typically one of the least intense parts of their rides.

Edited by knaiwear

So does that mean we can talk to Guy anyway we want to? J/k

giphy.gif

here's hopes that its on a regular operating schedule by next friday.

This is actually a good point. On other RMCs, the zero g rolls or stalls are fun elements that provide a nice breather from the more intense hills. The rolls themselves are NOT "intense" force wise - by design. They're just fun and floaty.

Lightning Rod is actually MORE intense because it lacks these elements. There is absolutely no chance to catch your breath. There's no moment of "zero G" because it's all negative G - up to -1.0 according to the safety spiel and I believe it.

Perhaps DefeatestNation had unrealistic expectations for his or her first RMC. But I can honestly say that it's the most intense RMC in the country (except for the other two 2016 ones, which I have not yet ridden), and part of that is because it lacks inversions. While fun, they are typically one of the least intense parts of their rides.

I really want to move past this but yeah, maybe my expectations were too high. But see it from my point of view...without the feel of a woodie (shaking around), and the height of a hyper or giga, or without a crazy RMC inversion, I think you are just left with a super smooth steel coaster that isn't that tall. Like I said, great ride, just not that incredible.

Bottom line, lighting rod is a good coaster, but the most anticipated coaster for 2016 is obviously joker. It' s a good ride, so dollywood will not get another coaster for at least 5 years. Let's not make the ride turn into what tpr did to Fu!ll Throttle. Respect my opinion.

Edited by nicman

I really want to move past this but yeah, maybe my expectations were too high. But see it from my point of view...without the feel of a woodie (shaking around), and the height of a hyper or giga, or without a crazy RMC inversion, I think you are just left with a super smooth steel coaster that isn't that tall. Like I said, great ride, just not that incredible.

Sure, having a different opinion is no big deal. Just don't go ride other RMCs expecting more intensity cause I don't think you'll find it.

So does that mean we can talk to Guy anyway we want to? J/k

Come at me bro! I'm fair game.

Besides, I probably deserve it for something I did in the past anyway.

I just put my big boy pants on, so I'm ready!

I've seen moderators on this site say things ten times worse to random non-park affiliated posters and the only thing they got were a hundred people posting that nina whatever likes this image.

67865336.jpg

Having pointed that out, I will say that the following post "wins" the discussion, and is truly the bottom line of the whole matter...

Here's some new drama: Dollywood is overpriced as hell to get in...

Well, it's a pretty small park with attendance so they kinda need the money. Pretty big investment for lightning rod. I think 1 day passes are ok at 60$ but no more. i usually compare them to snowboarding ticket prices.

Why does it say I wrote that? I would never say that about Dollywood. Nicman, you're not using the quotes right and putting words in my mouth.

This was too funny.

I don't understand why people are giving DeafetistNation crap about being let down by Dollywood. I'm sure Dollywood is a great park. I haven't had the chance to visit yet, but I've been to Silver Dollar City plenty of times and I know the parks are similar. I believe Dollywood, like SDC, lacks a large collection of great thrill rides. They have some great coasters, but you can ride everything thrilling within a matter of 3-4 hours. It's not going to stop me from visiting every year and riding the coasters over and over again, but as someone who doesn't go to parks to see shows, visit shops and watch parades, I can see how he was disappointed. SDC and Dollywood have incredible atmospheres which add to the experience, but people call it "Steal Your Dollar City" for a reason and I'm sure Dollywood isn't too far off at $70 per ticket. The price hasn't deterred me from visiting SDC, but I think in 5-10 years, as the parks continue to expand, $70 for a one-day ticket is much more easily a justifiable price.

I'm not a big show guy, especially a show themed to country-western music. That said, I still look forward to my first visit to Dollywood (hopefully in September). Food and atmosphere mixed with the right theming are more than enough to make up for what I don't like. I loved just walking around SDC and I'm sure I'll feel similar about DW.

look on line...see the ride line up...see the other offerings...see the price...make your decision to go or not. Its a simple process. I don't see how in this day and age of internet information exchange anyone could be "surprised" when the pay their price and are "let down" by the limited offerings of a THEME park. For what its worth, Kings Island walk-up gate price (not on line discounted) is 64.00, SFOG walk- up gate price 65.00 - right there with Dollywood. I know from research that Kings Island and SF has lots of thrill rides, limited themed offerings,and limited food offerings. I see form looking on line that Dollywood has more limited thrill rides, more immersive thumbing, and more robust and themed food offerings. I evaluate what I'm looking for for my $$$. Don't blame the park for your disappointment in their offerings. I would be disappointed if I visited KI, paid gate price and only got to ride coasted after coaster and listen to top 40 music blaring throughout the park, but I wouldn't blame the park if I didn't do the research.