TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

This is great news. I've never been more hyped for a ride to come out in my life. I certainly need to make my way down to Dollywood. I'm just hoping that if I do go, the ride is reliable enough to the point that I am 90% sure I can ride it.

Also, RMC is up to something special. They are a blessing.

It was only the first rmc I have been on, but it seemed like someone hit the brakes popping over the first "down". It was bizarre.

Just a quick comment on this, since it's come up a couple times - the brakes at the top of the launch hill do not come up or engage with the train during normal operation. They are only there if the control system determines the train needs to stop before cresting the first hill. If you watch closely you can see them popping into place after the train passes.

Since the magnetic launch doesn't go all the way to the top, you'll definitely feel the train slow down before the airtime madness begins. But it's due to gravity, not braking!

Jeff

Irvine Ondrey Engineering

Thanks for clearing up misconceptions on the internet!

This is great news. I've never been more hyped for a ride to come out in my life. I certainly need to make my way down to Dollywood. I'm just hoping that if I do go, the ride is reliable enough to the point that I am 90% sure I can ride it.

Also, RMC is up to something special. They are a blessing.

Calm yourself.

Leaving the park now. It's still in technical rehearsal. I waited over 2 hours to get on it a second time because it kept having minor delays.

Guess not such a good idea to go with a launched coaster, this is why there are not many launch coasters released because they keep breaking down like Top Thrill Dragster.

Leaving the park now. It's still in technical rehearsal. I waited over 2 hours to get on it a second time because it kept having minor delays.

Guess not such a good idea to go with a launched coaster, this is why there are not many launch coasters released because they keep breaking down like Top Thrill Dragster.

Not necessarily technical delays. They delayed one of my rides yesterday because someone threw up in the station apparently. They are also training staff, trading shifts and positions.

Guess not such a good idea to go with a launched coaster, this is why there are not many launch coasters released

So what do you call not many? Holiday World, BGW, Lake Compounce just name a few have recently also put in launched coasters.

Kid, there are LIM/LSM launched coasters out there that have been operating since before you were born, and it is a proven technology. Besides, TTD's launch technology is nothing like Lightning Rod's.

Dragster and Ka attach a hook to the train and then fling it down the launch track, right?

Magnetic propulsion is used by trains all over the world. It really shouldn't be seen as some kind of trippy technology.

Here's some new drama: Dollywood is overpriced as hell to get in...

Well, it's a pretty small park with attendance so they kinda need the money. Pretty big investment for lightning rod. I think 1 day passes are ok at 60$ but no more. i usually compare them to snowboarding ticket prices.

Why does it say I wrote that? I would never say that about Dollywood. Nicman, you're not using the quotes right and putting words in my mouth.

This was too funny.

I don't understand why people are giving DeafetistNation crap about being let down by Dollywood. I'm sure Dollywood is a great park. I haven't had the chance to visit yet, but I've been to Silver Dollar City plenty of times and I know the parks are similar. I believe Dollywood, like SDC, lacks a large collection of great thrill rides. They have some great coasters, but you can ride everything thrilling within a matter of 3-4 hours. It's not going to stop me from visiting every year and riding the coasters over and over again, but as someone who doesn't go to parks to see shows, visit shops and watch parades, I can see how he was disappointed. SDC and Dollywood have incredible atmospheres which add to the experience, but people call it "Steal Your Dollar City" for a reason and I'm sure Dollywood isn't too far off at $70 per ticket. The price hasn't deterred me from visiting SDC, but I think in 5-10 years, as the parks continue to expand, $70 for a one-day ticket is much more easily a justifiable price.

You can count me squarely in the "Dollywood is meh" camp - but I absolutely love SDC, so maybe I'm just weird. None of the rides besides Lightning Rod really do it for me and I certainly am not interested in the content of the shows. Food is pretty good but I don't go to parks for food, I go for rides.

I had the chance to ride Lightning Rod earlier this week and it is absolutely nuts. I've ridden most of the other RMCs and none of them come close to the intensity of LR. Especially since it keeps building and building as the ride goes. The bottom two hills of the quad down are pure insanity, I can't understand why anyone would be underwhelmed by them.

I thought the launch was kinda ghetto. It feels like it goes in several phases and it bounced around a lot. But once you're at the top you forget about all that.

Definitely one of the best coasters I've ever ridden, though it wouldn't likely be one I wanted to marathon on. There were some rough spots that I felt in the wheel seat (especially going up to the top of the quad down) so hopefully those don't get worse over time.

But minor quibbles. Go ride this thing. It's crazy.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Dollywood is trying to become a top-tier thrill park, though? Between adding the first US wing coaster and the first launched and overall fastest wooden coaster, that seems like a pretty good recent history.

I would recommend anyone who thinks Dollywood is meh to try to go during smoky mountain christmas. I'm not a big Christmas kind of guy but that park is magical during that time, it also helps all the rides are walk ons.Also if you go then and buy a season pass it is good the whole next year. My wife and I make 2 trips down a year and only have to get a season pass every other year. It works out nicely. To add to that point Dollywood is only a part of what is available in the area. With the national park and all of the tourist stuff in the area I always leave wishing I had more time to do things.

Glad to see all the thunderhead love! Seems the consensus has been pretty negative about it recently. I rode it in March and it was running the best it has in 3 years! I love that ride!!! Night rides during the Christmas event when it's 40 degrees out is just mind blowing.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Dollywood is trying to become a top-tier thrill park, though? Between adding the first US wing coaster and the first launched and overall fastest wooden coaster, that seems like a pretty good recent history.

I get the feeling they are trying to compete with a top-tier thrill park yes.. while Dollywood overall is a much better well rounded park than others, the majority of the GP go for thrill rides..

I don't believe they are trying to become a top tier thrill destination but I feel the are trying to become something in-between parks like Cedar Point and Disney.. the best of both worlds, kind of like Universal Parks..

That's just my take on it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I totally understand being underwhelmed by Dollywood from a pure rides perspective, I kind of used be in that position when all I cared about was just coasters but it's hard to not at least appreciate how unique and well maintained the place is. Also you have to give them credit before Thunderhead they had basically 1 coaster and a log flume for their major attractions, but 12 years later (including Thunderhead) they've added in 5 major coasters, multiple new attractions to the water park, a screaming swing, a splash battle, a new on property resort, new shows, festivals, etc. They've been pretty aggressive with their growth and I can only imagine the next decade will be similar. I'd love to see a gigantic star flyer there or some other kind of flat, but their coaster collection now is pretty well rounded at this point.

Also, $70 for a day compared to a Cedar Fair or Six Flags park, yeah I can see how that might be considered a tad expensive, but $99 for a three day 2 park ticket is pretty reasonable. Can't imagine someone not getting their money's worth out of that.

dollywood is now advertising LR as OPEN

I saw this as well, but now it's back to saying technical rehearsal. Does anyone think we'll get a POV soon?

as far as im concerned, the notification for technical rehearsal inst there. dunno if its just me but i don't see it.

I totally understand being underwhelmed by Dollywood from a pure rides perspective, I kind of used be in that position when all I cared about was just coasters but it's hard to not at least appreciate how unique and well maintained the place is.

Yes, it's pretty, and I can understand why people love it. But for me, SDC is far prettier and I like the atmosphere there better.

I guess I was responding more to the comments over the past weeks of "even if LR isn't open you'll have an amazing time." I had no interest in going back to DW except to ride LR. Fortunately it worked out this week, but nothing else in the park draws me back. Just personal preference though.

As for Thunderhead, I really don't get the praise for that either. It was really rough this week (like almost Apocalypse rough!) and there's not even that much airtime in the back. A fast and powerful ride for sure but it wasn't comfortable at all. I prefer later GCIs (Prowler is my favorite, and even American Knievel is great though less intense).

But man, LR is something else. Really shocking that something of that intensity and stature was built at DW. I wonder how the guests will handle it over the long term. When I rode the train they did a straw poll of who had ridden Wild Eagle versus who was too scared to ride it, and the scared people won by a landslide. The announcer even commented "they always win!"

dollywood is now advertising LR as OPEN

I saw this as well, but now it's back to saying technical rehearsal. Does anyone think we'll get a POV soon?

We have not advertised the ride as fully open, ever. The tech rehearsal is ongoing. We are working to be fully open soon but we are not at this time.