TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I feel like I paid 70 bucks to go to a park that put more emphasis on food and shows.

The only coasters worth a re-ride in my opinion were the two woodies. Which isn't worth 35 bucks a piece.

Well, that's what it is. Heaven forbid a park try to be more than just cookie cutter rides plopped on a corn field and surrounded by asphalt.

No really though, I get it. It's good to see a different perspective once in awhile, but as others have said, maybe you should just stick to Six Flags and Cedar Fair. I know I'd be just fine if DW got rid of all the coasters and went back to just shows, music and crafts. I'm a coaster nut myself, but for me the finer aspects of DW outweigh them. You'll notice DW gets a lot more guests per year than most parks with it's relative slate of rides, so obviously many agree. I'm actually surprised there aren't more parks that focus on more than just rides, given the success of most parks that tie into music and movies.

But you didn't find Mystery Mine, Blazing Fury, and Tennessee Tornado worth re-rides? That just seems purposefully shallow to me. It would be hard to stay a coaster enthusiasts if I had such narrow tastes. I was underwhelmed by some of the coasters on my first visit, but I'd still probably ride them all day if given the chance.

You know, I just came from a holiday world/kings island/ cedar point trip 2 weeks ago so maybe my opinion is a bit skewed? But I'm telling you, I thought Thunderhead was absolutely mental. Up there with voyage! But yeah, the other coasters you mentioned I thought were just okay and wouldn't reride personally.

I get where he is coming from. Dollywood while fun my first visit has VICIOUSLY grown on me with each visit since. I had only been to Sox Flags and Cedar Fair parks up to that point excluding BGW amd IOA so I am much more used to heavy thrill centered parks as opposed to atmosphere and theme focussed parks. I now think Dollywood is my favorite park to visit. I love all the coasters for their charm (and for Thunderhead being truly intense and kickass) and while I always love wild hyper and giga coasters, I still pick Dollywood any day of the week for the atmosphere food and shows alone. Coming from a 20 year old this park packs some SERIOUS charm.

I've not been to Dollywood, but I plan to visit this summer.

With what I know of the park so far, it strikes me as a family park that's trying to grow into a top-tier thrill park by adding Wild Eagle and especially Lightning Rod.

I've not been to Dollywood, but I plan to visit this summer.

With what I know of the park so far, it strikes me as a family park that's trying to grow into a top-tier thrill park by adding Wild Eagle and especially Lightning Rod.

It for sure appeals to familes but I've gone alone as a teenager and its incredibly fun. You just cant help but get a stupid grin from ear to ear. Everything is just viciously positive and upbeat. Especially the themeing. I feel like I'm teleported into a different world at Dollywood. It's not like a six flags park where I feel like everything is trying to scare me in some way. Even the names. Dollywoods rides are all named positive and interesting names. I feel like Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks like to name their rides in a manor to strike fear into the GP. Names like Fury and Nitro ect ect.

I feel like I paid 70 bucks to go to a park that put more emphasis on food and shows. I know everyone is different but I was hoping for more rides.

So, it's the park's fault for you poorly researching the park? I feel like you're complaint stems from the fact that you have an inability to understand what theme parks are, and are blinded by parks like SFMM, Cedar Point, SFGAdv, etc. Not every park is there entirely for the thrill seeker. Do your research and make a decision based on your personality. At the end of the day, you made a bad choice.

I went to Dollywood for the first time the October before last, and even prior to Lightning Rod, I realized a full day was not enough to take in all of what Dollywood is and excels at. I can't wait for my next trip.

It was only the first rmc I have been on, but it seemed like someone hit the brakes popping over the first "down". It was bizarre. All in all a great solid ride but I just feel like it was missing a huge standout element to make it incredible.

That's because you rode in the front seat. The backend of the train was catching up. Once the middle/centerpoint of the train crested, then the speed did, which is how physics work. You should ride in other seats before calling the ride "overrated" because of your not-up-to-par view of the front row.

To be honest I don't prefer the front seat because I usually don't find it that intense. Usually the middle to back are your sweet spots of a coaster, especially the back because I mean you are getting pulled. It's like pulling a wagon, do you want to be the one pulling it, or the one in the wagon? (I hope my metaphor makes sense)

For airtime machines like Nitro and Phoenix I like the front row. For twister layouts like Batman the Ride and Talon I like the back row.

Hmm--I'm the reverse.

That will definitely apply with elements like the quadruple down or a first drop. When there's symmetry like with a parabolic B&M hill, the front has a slight advantage in speed.

Lightning Rod should get better the further back you sit.

Here's some new drama: Dollywood is overpriced as hell to get in...

I just don't understand how somebody could say a theme park is overpriced. You get a whole day's worth of entertainment for $70. Most concerts or sporting events cost more than that and it's like 3 hours long. To me that's overpriced (But I still pay it). Getting 12 hours of fun is a bargain. I'd hate to hear what this person thinks of the Magic Kingdom's prices.

You don't wait in line to hear each song or watch each inning, though. If you get rocked by long lines, I can see feeling ripped off.

Wrong...You wait to get in. You wait at the concessions to get beer. You wait for the stupid band to start playing...Then they take a break. Then you wait to get out of the building by slow moving people. You wait wherever you go.

If you don't like waiting, then just spend $35 for the Qbot and don't wait. $100 is still cheaper than most events.

Well, it's a pretty small park with attendance so they kinda need the money. Pretty big investment for lightning rod. I think 1 day passes are ok at 60$ but no more. i usually compare them to snowboarding ticket prices.

Edited by nicman

Well, it's a pretty small park with attendance so they kinda need the money. Pretty big investment for lightning rod. I think 1 day passes are ok at 60$ but no more. i usually compare them to snowboarding ticket prices.

Why does it say I wrote that? I would never say that about Dollywood. Nicman, you're not using the quotes right and putting words in my mouth.

It was only the first rmc I have been on, but it seemed like someone hit the brakes popping over the first "down". It was bizarre.

Just a quick comment on this, since it's come up a couple times - the brakes at the top of the launch hill do not come up or engage with the train during normal operation. They are only there if the control system determines the train needs to stop before cresting the first hill. If you watch closely you can see them popping into place after the train passes.

Since the magnetic launch doesn't go all the way to the top, you'll definitely feel the train slow down before the airtime madness begins. But it's due to gravity, not braking!

Jeff

Irvine Ondrey Engineering

I feel like I paid 70 bucks to go to a park that put more emphasis on food and shows. I know everyone is different but I was hoping for more rides. And the collection of coasters include 3 family coasters, a short arrow looper and the tamest b@m I can remember being on. It was nice theming and scenery and what have you but after 4 hours at the park I really struggled to come up with more to do that didn't involve eating overpriced food or watching shows.

The only coasters worth a re-ride in my opinion were the two woodies. Which isn't worth 35 bucks a piece.

Sounds like you didn't do enough research before going to the park. I made the same mistake a couple years ago. I feel like I'll have a lot more fun this year knowing what to expect. However, I don't think I'll ever be a 'show' guy. The only park show that involved acting that I remember partially watching was the KI Haunt last year where it was pretty much a bunch of half dressed women dancing on a stage. I can't recall the plot.

I'm about to lose all my cool points but 50 parks, 268 coasters (269 if you count mountain coasters). Of those, Dollywood is my 3rd favorite park, right behind Knoebels and Cedar Point, beating out both Busch Parks, Magic Kingdom, Universal Orlando and a bunch of other awesome parks.

Damnit Bill... Never let your inner-nerd out. Go hit the gym, drink a beer, and insult a woman in order to get your man card back.

^ Thunderhead was by far the most pleasant surprise for me when I visited the park back in March. IMO one of the best GCIs I've been on, right up with Lightning Racer.

I rode backrow, and held on for dear life the whole time. It takes a lot for me to put my arms down. And the thing was a walkon!!!

Back row Thunderhead is an amazing ride! Love all of the airtime and turns!

its kinda sad how unpopular it to be honest. i mean, its almost always a walkon (but im not complaining), i really think it needs to be more popular, and LR wont help that any.

Chiming in from the park again today to say that THUNDERHEAD is absolutely incredible and out of control and I don't know why more people don't talk about it. Holy cow.

Thunderhead for me at the moment is my #1 wooden coaster beating El Toro and Lightning Racer for me. Incredible intense ride.

agreed agreed agreed. i'll have to see about lightning racer this summer

Chiming in from the park again today to say that THUNDERHEAD is absolutely incredible and out of control and I don't know why more people don't talk about it. Holy cow.

Thunderhead for me at the moment is my #1 wooden coaster beating El Toro and Lightning Racer for me. Incredible intense ride.

agreed agreed agreed. i'll have to see about lightning racer this summer

I feel like Thunderhead is significantly more intense than Lightning Racer (which is still a solid ride but I don't find it to be in the top tier GCIs personally). Thunderhead, American Thunder, and White Lightning are my favorite GCIs. They never let up!