TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Front row review:

This may be quick but, I'm finally home and tired. If anyone wants to ask I can elaborate.

Lightning Rod is really good. It may not be the best of the best woodies out there, and I personally think it's glaringly missing at least 1 really good inversion, but is a good solid ride. Keep in mind this is,my very FIRST rmc.

I got randomly partnered up with a stranger for the front row. They had one train running and we're dispatching every 4 minutes or so. I saw no less than 2 RMC employees walking around nervously and talking to the ride ops. (The ride ops wear garage coveralls, and as a mechanic myself, I thought it was a genius touch.)

Also, sidenote. The windshields are (thankfully) gone from the trains. But the damn fake shaker stacks are still there and I found it kind of lame that it obstructed some of the view.

First off, there are sounds of an engine revving as you leave the dtation. The ride begins to launch about 10 feet from the hill, but doesn't really pick up speed till about 1/4th the way up.

The launch is not quick or snappy, think of it as a longer faster maverick lift.

Great airtime over the two humps, but the first drop was dissapointing. Maybe it was being in the front row, but it didn't seem nearly as high on the ride as it did off.

Wave turn was really cool. The ride slows down significantly and you get a few second to really appreciate the absurdity of the element.

Next right hander into the left bend apex thing was great, nice pop of air.

The real airtime star is the next element which I seem to remember being the twist and shout? Elector air city over that one.

Then, onto the finale. The first down was taken strangely slow, no air. Then the ride picks up and pops air for the final 3, then a nice pop of air under the,brake run, and into the huuuuuge way too over banked finale turn.

Pros: airtime city, theming, absolute blistering pace from start to finish.

Cons: too short, missing one really good inversion like a barrel roll or stall.

All in all it is a great ride, just not the end all woodie that I was hoping for.

So for those of you who frequent the park, can some one tell me how busy you can expect the park to be on a Saturday in early September??

Thanks in advance!

shouldnt be horrible, but a saturday is a saturday. sunday would be (much) better tho. danny can probably give a more accurate answer tho

^ I really like the part about her wanting to open another park somewhere someday!

Some off-ride footage from today....

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

That is incredible footage!

I am going to assume that the assigned seating is temporary...

As has been stated, assigned seating for rides at Dollywood is not common,

Pretty sure EVERY train that leaves Mystery Mine is assigned seating. Maybe all Dollywood host don't know what they're talking about as proven again here.

Pretty sure EVERY train that leaves Mystery Mine is assigned seating. Maybe all Dollywood host don't know what they're talking about as proven again here.

Well, Mystery Mine has to be assigned for capacity and practicality, but that is the only major coaster that has constant assigned seating as of now.

He said it is not common. One coaster out of all the rides at Dollywood, does not prove him wrong. And please don't be rude; we welcome park staff to post on here.

Mystery Mine assigns a row, not a seat and Mountain Slidewinder has to assign seating to properly distribute weight in each boat. These have been the only rides to assign placement in the park before LRod. Barnstormer assigns you a side of a swing but not a seat.

THANKS

Mystery Mine assigns a row, not a seat and Mountain Slidewinder has to assign seating to properly distribute weight in each boat. These have been the only rides to assign placement in the park before LRod. Barnstormer assigns you a side of a swing but not a seat.

Weird. When I was there in August I got assigned a seat on Mystery Mine even though the train had empty seats upon dispatch.

Weird. When I was there in August I got assigned a seat on Mystery Mine even though the train had empty seats upon dispatch.

That is strange. I've never been told to sit in a certain seat on any roller coaster at Dollywood.

That is strange. I've never been told to sit in a certain seat on any roller coaster at Dollywood.

Mystery Mine has always assigned a row since I moved out here. Other than that I've never been told where to sit, and of course Barnstormer has always assigned a tower but you got to choose your seat and which direction you faced.

Irvine Ondrey have posted some updates from Lightning Rod on their facebook page.

Interestingly, someone asked about the rumoured overspeed and Brian replied that there's never been an issue with the speed and that they don't know where those rumours have come from!

Wow, way to be completely rude to a park employee that took time out of his day to give us some insight. Unbelievable. Hopefully DRrobbins1993 understands that we're not all a bunch of d-bags and will come back often and join our discussions here. Jesus.

Eta... for what it's worth, I have NEVER been assigned a seat on Mystery Mine. More often than not I am assigned a row, but never a seat. Perhaps not all posters here know what they're talking about as proven again here.

Edited by jjzadero

I'm planning a trip to the park during the first week of August. I will be taking advantage of the free admission the next day when entering the park after 3:00 pm. How are the lines usually like at the park on a weekday during the first week of August? Should I budget for the TimeSaver Pass?

Irvine Ondrey have posted some updates from Lightning Rod on their facebook page.

Interestingly, someone asked about the rumoured overspeed and Brian replied that there's never been an issue with the speed and that they don't know where those rumours have come from!

Thank you so much for linking this. There you have it... NO! Lightning Rod was NOT travelling 90mph, the launch was not "too strong". As an engineer, I thought that rumor sounded fishy, and people here have been repeating it like it's fact... you guys will trust anything posted with a "source". Most stuff on Screamscape is untrue to say the least.

Edited by chickenbowl

I have gone the last two summers in the first week of August and didn't queue more than 10 minutes for a coaster either visit.

Don't know if we just struck lucky on our visits but think the fast pass they sell is fairly cheap anyway if it is busy.

I'm planning a trip to the park during the first week of August. I will be taking advantage of the free admission the next day when entering the park after 3:00 pm. How are the lines usually like at the park on a weekday during the first week of August? Should I budget for the TimeSaver Pass?

weekday in august? itll be great, I can tell you that right now. and the timesaver is like 15 bucks (I think) so even if you feel compelled to get one, you can. but it doesn't let you skip lines, it waits for you. hope this helps

He said it is not common. One coaster out of all the rides at Dollywood, does not prove him wrong. And please don't be rude; we welcome park staff to post on here.

Excuse me? Being rude? Do you actually read all the post on here? If you go back a page or so, Rob is calling people who like floaties "pussies" but you call me rude?

And how do you know that I am not a park employee>?

THANKS

Well if we are going to go this route, your post was still incorrect. LR does not assign "seats" either. They tell you what "row" to go to and you pick your own seat.