TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I know Lightning Rod was delayed a bit this season, which has been covered at length here, but isn't it kind of an odd coincidence that almost all the new major coasters opening this season won't be "officillay" opening until later into the season into early June? I mean Phobia and Storm Chaser are the only new coasters that opened with the park, but both Joker's, Lightning Rod, Monster, Mako, Cobras's Curse are all opening after memorial day weekend. Kind of an odd year, but whatever this month long delay has almost built up an additional level of excitement for LR. Can't wait to get on this thing.

Well Valravn opened on time too. And the Joker's and Cobra's Curse are all opening this weekend. That really only leaves Mako and Monster to open after Memorial Day weekend.

I forgot about Valrvn (I'm sure I'm not the only one if ya know what I mean....), but yeah seems like in the past most major new attractions are usually up and ready before Memorial Day weekend not on or after it. I thought Cobra's Curse was delayed and the opening date was still unannounced. We'll see, point was more rides this year were not ready on opening day than were which seems more like the exception than the norm and in the grand scheme of things doesn't really matter.

This is the most exciting news of this coaster season I think. I gave in and booked a trip down in June. After not being at Dollywood since the 2010 TPR trip, this is the best reason possible to go back.

I find places where seats are assigned fairly flexible and reasonable. I wouldn't lump Disney into the group since they go out of their way to accommodate if you ask. Carowinds didn't mind letting us wait for a back or front seat on Fury, based on crowd levels. Every other place where preferred seat choices aren't guaranteed also depends on the day/ crowds. I'm sure every seat on LR will be fantastic, but I definitely don't mind waiting longer for a seat of choice.

Oh, the #itllneveropen thing is nothing compared to the Wildfire thread's doom and gloom scenarios.

WildFire ran into bigger issues than just not using Vekoma to make the launch mechanism, right? I thought there were real questions about the town allowing that large of a structure to be built.

Lightning Rod ran into issues from not using Intrasys to make the launch mechanism (according to speculation).

WildFire had questions about the town allowing the structure. Vekoma is the European dealer for RMC.

Loving the reviews on LR. Appreciate everyone that has ridden it giving us all that has not a little insight. I've been to the Smokies twice this year with intent to ride, but the ride has never opened. But no worries...I'll ride it soon. Looks like it may open this weekend...Hopefully. I wish Dollywood would give it a proper media day though before opening it and also for godsakes give us a darn POV already...Please!

WildFire ran into bigger issues than just not using Vekoma to make the launch mechanism, right? I thought there were real questions about the town allowing that large of a structure to be built.

Yes, that was a concern. However, even when the park owners were adamant that the ride would be built, posters were explaining how that would be, in all likelihood, impossible. The owners were right after all. I'm looking forward to hearing bout how WildFire is. Two amazing RMCs in one year is something incredible.

It's really great to see everyone posting and sharing thoughts about the ride. The excitement comes right through. Really looking forward to heading back.

Just rode it. Incredible. Waited about an hour in line but worth the wait.

The ride looks open to me. They are only running one train, and only letting one trains worth of people in at a time. So everyone else is waiting outside the building. Makes for a long line outside in the heat.

Btw, someone tried to sneak a camera on. They stopped the train and brought it back.

The ride looks open to me. They are only running one train, and only letting one trains worth of people in at a time. So everyone else is waiting outside the building. Makes for a long line outside in the heat.

Btw, someone tried to sneak a camera on. They stopped the train and brought it back.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA Coaster is even officially open and they're already sneaking cameras on. Was it on the launch yet?

I think Dollywood would stop a coaster in action if they caught a GoPro on one of their rides.. Six Flags encourages them (at least GA) where as Dollywood yells over loudspeakers "You in seat 4 row 6 put the GoPro up or else"

So I don't expect a POV anytime soon until Dollywood does an official one [emoji14] ha-ha

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just saw this post exactly! They didn't stop the train on wild eagle when they saw mine attached to my arm but they did tell me on the loud speaker to put it up mid ride and then told me I was breaking Kodak copyright laws blah blah blah lol.. I wasn't even filming, just had it attached with a wrist mount.. had lens cap on and everything.. oh well

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA Coaster is even officially open and they're already sneaking cameras on. Was it on the launch yet?

No it just left the station.

People are cheering at the end of each ride. Funny. RMC folks still hanging out in the loading area.

I can safely say that Lightning Rod is the best coaster I've been on outside of the Northeast/East Coast. It is a fantastic, perfectly paced ride. I've only been on it once and it was the first ride of the day with a full train of riders, so it is a little too early to compare it in intensity and airtime to my other favorites, but it was quite the first experience.

The launch was fun, not intense and I actually felt the brakes hit at the top. Going over the crest of the lift was incredible seeing the entire hidden portion of the ride for the first time. I rode in the 2nd row and was out of my seat almost as soon as we started down the first drop. The first half of the wave turn really didn't make much an impression, but the 2nd half really whips you down to the next elements. I loved the twist and shout and the other element (can't remember the name that comes after the wave turn). Really reminded me of some of the elements of Outlaw Run. The quad down was amazing. You could hear the passengers behind me gasp as they realized what was about to happen. The airtime was close to ejector. I'm sure different rides will vary, but for being the first fully-loaded train, I anticipate some amazing airtime in the future here. The half loop at the end was the perfect way to end the ride. You get all of the constant speed elements and then the one "stall" element right at the end. This is what I think ultimately will put this one ahead of Outlaw Run for me. The pacing is perfect on Lightning Rod.

I'll probably be heading back at some point this weekend. Need to ride again and again.