TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Currently in the middle of a two-week USA coaster tour and I definitely chose the right day to go to Dollywood!

We told the guy in charge that we were visiting from Scotland and probably wouldn't be able to return for at least a couple of years (which is true) and he very kindly allowed us into the station without tickets. The ride operator then let us queue for the front row.

The ride's awesome!

[attachment=0]01_dollywood.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]02_dollywood.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=2]03_dollywood.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=3]04_dollywood.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=4]05_dollywood.JPG[/attachment]

I'm so glad you got to experience it on your trip! And that is excellent customer service!!

Actually it's a .mov im not sure but I think that might be an apple file.

Touché - I wasn't paying attention this time! But .mov is just a container so depending on the codec it could still be an open standard - and if it was filmed on an iPhone it was almost certainly in H.264 which is open.

Here's my take on the #Itllneveropen movement... It was pretty funny at first, but I do agree, it got a little played out along the line... Having said that, Guy's wit and humor that he added to many of his posts was always very well written, and enjoyable to read (IMO), so calling that "easy", is not really fair!

As for Lightning Rod, it looks like the greatest thing ever made, just from that finish! Can't wait to check it out for Thrills in the Hills - whenever that is!

(Oh, but the "Boat" thing in the CP thread was never really that funny, sorry... )

Here ya go! All credit goes to WildEagle2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Nvn2X8K-g

OMG that looks amazing!

I must admit that thing looks like it doesn't lose any speed until the break run. Makes you wonder if they were trying to slow it down and that was the case of the delay. Looks like LR might make Dollywood a destination park.

^ I've also noticed that the launch looks faster and more intense from this angle as compared to the other angle it has been filmed. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a trend of launched woodies from RMC. I'd love to see one with a straight launch. Also, a wooden launched shuttle wooden coaster would be really cool!

I am going to assume that the assigned seating is temporary...

I hope so. I cant remember Dollywood ever assigning seating on even the busiest of days and I've never seen parks that don't assign seating every have major issues because of it. Now if only a certain 2 parks both 4 hours away from Dollywood would take a lesson and STOP ASSIGNING SEATS ON B&M HYPER AND GIGA COASTERS COUGH COUGH CAROWINDS AND SFOG COUGH COUGH!!!

Ugh. Wondered why I could see posts from Wily, Guy and a few others that I #blocked (see what I did there?) all of a sudden and realized I wasn't logged in.

Anyway. Thanks for the photos, videos and reviews people. I can't wait until I get to ride it myself in a few weeks.

Wow, just wow!!! The coaster FLIES! Thanks for the reviews, photos, and video to those who've posted in the last previous pages. This does look to, respectively, crap all over Storm Chaser. I am REALLY looking forward to a first-time trip to Dollywood this year (after they announce LR is officially open, of course!).

I'm also really glad I missed any drama in here, but it makes me laugh knowing Guy was behind it. You REALLY know how to push the right buttons on people in this website! #StormChasersBrokenLaunch

An actual conversation at my house yesterday:

Me: "Hey hon, looks like I'm going to Tennessee this week."

Wife: "What? Tennessee? Why?"

Me: "Lightning Rod at Dollywood #finallyopened."

Wife: "OH NO YOU'RE NOT."

Edited by coneyislandchris

Me: "Lightning Run at Dollywood #finallyopened."

Wife: "OH NO YOU'RE NOT.you would be in Kentucky!"

fixed

Me: "Lightning Run at Dollywood #finallyopened."

Wife: "OH NO YOU'RE NOT.you would be in Kentucky!"

fixed

How the hell do I still keep mixing those up.

At the park right now. The guy at Lightning Rod's entrance said they're selecting people again today for the ride rehearsal but didn't say when. I'll check back later. It's my first time at the park so I don't want to wait around if they aren't doing it until later. I have new coasters to ride!