TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I'm excited to hear everyone's thoughts on the coaster! Also, I have my fingers crossed for the final part of that documentary series about Lightning Rod. Does anyone think Dollywood might be releasing an official POV soon?

Considering how quiet they have been in an attempt to avoid public outcry, I wouldn't count on it until we get an official hard open. However, I'm sure they've already filmed it as well as some of their local news filming has already been done.

^See? This wouldn't have happened if the useless posts from the last page didn't bump the thread to this page. Sure, he could have read back a page, but he probably figured there was nothing important there.

Or, he could have clicked on the link on TPR's homepage, and it would have taken him straight to the post about the technical rehearsal. No need to even try to sift through the "useless post". . . It would have taken him straight to where he wanted to be.

^See? This wouldn't have happened if the useless posts from the last page didn't bump the thread to this page. Sure, he could have read back a page, but he probably figured there was nothing important there.

I have avoided this thread except for once or twice a week because the jokes got old pretty quickly. I want to hear more about Lightning Rod's ride expierence without having to dig through useless "Dollywood hoax" posts.

It's a valid point though. Look, I love a good running joke as much as the next guy, but the hashtag thing is just not that funny.

#SorryItsTheTruth

#LameAssJoke

We're heading there this weekend, and even if they're just doing these technical rehearsals, that'd be awesome! If I could snag 1 ride on this awesome looking creation, I'd be elated!! Anything beyond that would just be icing on the cinnamon bread, so to speak!

Were's ernierocker when you need him for all this spamming. Anyway, I think that this coaster is probably just a prototype to see if a launched wooden coaster would actually work. Probably won't see another for a while. Unless intamin and rmc decide to team up. I have not commented on the layout yet, but I think that first little drop is really cool and the rest of the ride has a very creative layout. Seems to be the most hyped ride for 2016 after the joker. jk

0:25-0:35

Just got off! Was on the first tech rehearsal train out! The ride is stunning!

Very cool! I'm going to the park in a few hours for the very first time and will be there tomorrow and Wednesday.

Did someone approach you by the ride and give you that Lightning Rod pass?

So this was asked several pages back but probably lost due to all the hash tags.. like this user asked, are they asking guest to ride? Is it open with a long line? Do you request to ride?

For those that rode it, how did you get on it. I'm sure several of us would like to know

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So they have a representive around to the right side of the main entrance. (The time saver line I believe)They had an A frame sign talking about the tech rehearsals, and the rep had a stack of cards, prob 1 trains worth, and people were in a unofficial line, so he distributed them. They opened the chain, we got the cards taken from us in the station, and got one lap.

Monorailorange- Any details on specific elements?

So this was my first RMC, and we were assigned row 7. As I'm sure everyone is aware the train picks up speed before the hill. The launch was incredible, but really not as forceful as I thought it'd be, but still an absolute blast! The air time on "Dolly's humps" was great and the first drop just seems to go on forever! I was out of my seat all the way down! The overbanked turns carry terrific speed, but the outter bank hill for me was a OMFG moment! I loved it! The quad down was just plain fun, ejecting out of my seat by the 2nd, 3rd and 4th hill, and the large turnaround back to the brakes at the station was quick and snappy! Overall a fantastic coaster with quick transitions and blistering speed throughout!

OMG! I CAN'T WAIT TO EXPERIENCE "DOLLY'S HUMPS"!

I have avoided this thread except for once or twice a week because the jokes got old pretty quickly. I want to hear more about Lightning Rod's ride expierence without having to dig through useless "Dollywood hoax" posts.

It's a valid point though. Look, I love a good running joke as much as the next guy, but the hashtag thing is just not that funny.

#SorryItsTheTruth

#LameAssJoke

We're heading there this weekend, and even if they're just doing these technical rehearsals, that'd be awesome! If I could snag 1 ride on this awesome looking creation, I'd be elated!! Anything beyond that would just be icing on the cinnamon bread, so to speak!

I agree that the joke, while initially amusing, has run its course with folks--much as Lightning Rod has done today.

Edited by cfc

Were's ernierocker when you need him for all this spamming. Anyway, I think that this coaster is probably just a prototype to see if a launched wooden coaster would actually work. Probably won't see another for a while. Unless intamin and rmc decide to team up. I have not commented on the layout yet, but I think that first little drop is really cool and the rest of the ride has a very creative layout. Seems to be the most hyped ride for 2016 after the joker. jk

I honestly am stilly hyped for Joker. I think it looks wild. It's the second weakest looking RMC this year (which being the worst of the best is still amazing) but to me it looks better than some of the other RMCs and I think it will be an intense thrilling ride.

Just got off! Was on the first tech rehearsal train out! The ride is stunning!

Very cool! I'm going to the park in a few hours for the very first time and will be there tomorrow and Wednesday.

Did someone approach you by the ride and give you that Lightning Rod pass?

So this was asked several pages back but probably lost due to all the hash tags.. like this user asked, are they asking guest to ride? Is it open with a long line? Do you request to ride?

For those that rode it, how did you get on it. I'm sure several of us would like to know

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So they have a representive around to the right side of the main entrance. (The time saver line I believe)They had an A frame sign talking about the tech rehearsals, and the rep had a stack of cards, prob 1 trains worth, and people were in a unofficial line, so he distributed them. They opened the chain, we got the cards taken from us in the station, and got one lap.

Are they still handing them out? Also, how late can you enter the park? I might not be in Pigeon Forge until 4:30 today.

I honestly am stilly hyped for Joker. I think it looks wild. It's the third best looking RMC this year (which being the worst of the best is still amazing) but to me it looks better than some of the other RMCs and I think it will be an intense thrilling ride.

Fixed

Seriously, that made me laugh though. Would have been funny if someone actually answered aloud that way

Are they still handing them out? Also, how late can you enter the park? I might not be in Pigeon Forge until 4:30 today.

I'll be honest I have no idea how long tech rehearsals will run today. They rep told us it could be just and hour session to an all day thing. We had to leave the park to head home.:/ Already looking forward to my next visit! I also highly recommend the DreamMore resort! The perks alone pay for itself! Buy one day at Dollywood, get a day free if you buy through the hotel. Complementary time saver passes, and free parking and transportation with a private entrance!

Surely the list goes Wildfire, Lightning Rod, Storm Chaser, The Joker.

I'd have to disagree (if we're going on looks alone, Lightning Rod will be my first RMC so I really havent even earned an opinion yet) and say the list goes Wildfire, Lightning Rod, Joker, Storm Chaser.

Unfortunately I won't be riding Joker this year but I will be riding all the other 2016 RMCs in the upcoming weeks.

I'm so glad to see that the general public is able to experience LR and that it is so close to officially opening. Maybe some day I'll get to experience it (and the 4 other coasters at DW I've yet to ride)!

This is really a PR nightmare for Dollywood and Rocky Mountain Construction...

This has been pegged the unofficial best new roller coaster for 2016 and currently Dollywood looks awful b/c it is not open yet and they had a media day with nothing for the media to ride. They can save face if it is open by Memorial Day b/c that is the unofficial start of summer...This may be the first ,only and last launched wooden roller coaster. It really is not even worth the trouble IMO. Yes a launch is always pretty cool but the launch is essentially just a high tech lift hill.

I called it! I also stand by my opinion from early April!

Surely the list goes Wildfire, Lightning Rod, Storm Chaser, The Joker.

It would be close between Storm Chaser and Joker if SC didn't have that unfortunate ending.

That is my exact reason why I think the Joker looks like a stronger ride. It just carries its momentum much better.