TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

That's definitely tea though.

Nope; 'Old Grandads Rotgut Bourbon'.

He passed out around the 'green shirt guy' comments and the ice melted and changed the color, but it's whiskey.

Trust me; I know these things.

#ItllNeverOpen

Posted earlier today.

hey did you know when they first tested lightning rod one of the test dummys heads fell off? its true my cousin works at the park and he told me the ride was unsafe but they opened it anyway. one time me and my friend were riding and the guy beside us got decapitated and the people working in the station just cleaned it off and moved on and the news didn't say anything because the park payed them off.

This is what she said about it:

Sheer terror as the homeandfamilytv producers put me on "Lighting Rod" the fastest wooden roller coaster in the world...alone, by myself, front seat... Oh and did I mention it just went thru repairs

I wonder what the repairs was all about.

I do think its interesting that they would let a 'civilian' ride the coaster. I say civilian, as opposed to a ride engineer, park employee, etc. To me, this tells me that safety is not a question. Maybe they're just concerned about ride consistency?

Just an uninformed question.

One of the dummies didn't make it back...

Now THAT's some awesome airtime!!!

Adds to the thrill factor too.....will I make it back to the station??

Oh wait, I forgot, need to end with a hashtag or it doesn't count in this thread.....

#ItllOPEN

#SuckItDoubters

#BelieveInDollysMounds

When I search "#itllneveropen" on this site, I get nearly 80 posts about the ride. Clearly, Guy is right and has brought out the truth about Lightning Rod. Now I just need a puppy from Dolly, so I can bring it to the world's largest bonfire.

#itllneveropen

Guests are reporting seeing local news stations at the park this evening around Lightning Rod while testing. Also groups of people (not sure who they were) took some rides with the dummies. Could this weekend be possible? Dolly is going to be in town tomorrow for Lumberjack Adventure. Yes I know that has nothing to do with anything, except for she could do some press interviews who knows.

Also something that might be worth noting in screamscape

Lightning Rod - (5/19/16) According to a reader who visited Dollywood, they were told that Lightning Rod has entered the final testing phase and is set to begin employee training as soon as they finish checking off all the safety and operational procedure documentation. Best guess right now is that it may be ready to open in early to mid June.

I don't know how true this last part is, but hearding an interesting rumor that Lightning Rod is running a lot faster than originally intended. Instead of maxing out at 73mph, Lightning Rod has been clocked blazing through the hillside at over 80mph. Nothing was said about adding trims to the experience, so Lightning Rod may really be a wild experience when it opens.

I'm somewhat skeptical about this, but if it is running faster than expected, we're going to be in for one insane ride when this thing opens.

Just checked into our hotel at Gatlinburg. There was one electronic billboard declaring LR open but I take that with a grain of salt. Either way looking forward to a fun day at the park regardless.

If anyone believes that 80mph stuff then I guess they deserve to be disappointed. This sounds like the classic rumor crap that starts when little info is available on a busted ride.

If you have any knowledge of physics you can quickly calculate that on a 165' drop you need an initial velocity of 20mph to hit 73mph. Which is totally reasonable. To go over 80 you need just shy of 40mph. Launching to the point where the apex is twice as fast as expected just isn't going to happen kids. And as for the rumors of 90mph, you'd have to crest at almost 60. Not. Happening.

Just checked into our hotel at Gatlinburg. There was one electronic billboard declaring LR open but I take that with a grain of salt. Either way looking forward to a fun day at the park regardless.

Actually open? Hmmm. I was down just the other day and just saw the March 2016 or Spring 2016 ones. What did this one say?

Actually open? Hmmm. I was down just the other day and just saw the March 2016 or Spring 2016 ones. What did this one say?

Lightning Rod Now Open or Now Open Lighting Rod can't remember. It was on I-40 EB just off the I-75 interchange in Knoxville. I'm curious on this one because it is electronic so it would be easier to pull or change.