TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

All jokes aside if they're still having these launch issues at what point do they just give up and go to a new subcontractor? Velocity Magnetics clearly wasn't up to the task and this world class ride is now 2 months delayed and if the main issue still persists its looking like it could be several more weeks before it opens up. I'm gutted for Dollywood and RMC at this point, this must be agony for PR. Magnetic launches are not new technology. Should have bought a MACK? Still just as excited to ride as when the ride was first announced, and I will for sure be there as soon as we get an official opening date, but I feel extra bad for people who live super far from the park.

If RMC turned it over to Dollywood, almost sounds as if they have given up lol.. One of those it is what it is things ha-ha some launches at 90 some at the correct speed..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by dstephe9

Ride builders don't just give up on rides. It's not like RMC said, "F it, it's good enough. It's Dollywoods problem now." RMC and the management probably came to an agreement that RMC had fulfilled their contract. Now Dollywood is tweaking the ride to their liking. Or, as is more likely the case, getting ready to burn it to the ground.

Either that, or their changing the name to America's Orphan Rocker.

#Itllneveropen

Unless RMC has determined it is operating within an acceptable range and Dollywood doesn't want it to run that fast (even if it is safe to do so) because of the cost (wheels, brakes, additional labor).

I'd say that's more the issue.. It's safe at 90 but Dollywood doesn't want to replace the parts as often as they would at 90 lol

I say run the bad boy at 90 if it's safe!! Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If its supposed to run at 70 then it should run at 70. If that was what the original design that DW signed off on called for then thats what they should be getting. Again the whole "new technology" thing is wearing thin - as many have said, the concept isn't new - just the application on a wood coaster. I am amazed that this was this bad that we are now at a two month delay when the opening was "called off" only three days before it was "supposed" to open. How was this SO bad that we have worked on it for this long yet we didn't know it was that bad until that close to opening. This whole thing sounds like a poorly managed project that should have had a delay announced LONG before March 15. I don't think anyone would be this annoyed if Memorial Day was the proposed opening and they missed it by a week or two and hit mid June. Im just surprised that they ever thought it would come CLOSE to hitting that March date. Thats why I think they knew long ago that this was not going to hit that date or come close, but have played it close to the vest and sat on info.

So I'm no coaster expert. If a coaster is running at 90 MPH and it's supposed to be at 70, how do you get it down 20mph?

I am also wondering how they could tweak it down occasionally? Can somebody explain that?

They should run it at 90, even with the added costs. It will be awesome at that speed!

"Will someone please think of the airtime."

#illneverbeawesome

The ride will not be better at a higher speed.You're running a 180 ft. coaster at giga coaster speeds. Not only will that tear itself apart, but the riders as well. There's a difference between some nice ejector and painful, testicle-crushing airtime. Plus some of the hills are so compact that you might be just falling to your seat at the time you were supposed to hit another one.

Overall, bad idea to go that fast. I would never ask for any coaster to go 20 mph faster than it should.

Plus think of the whiplash, this coaster goes into a breaking wave into a outward 90 degree banked turn into some more outward banked airtime hills BUT at a speed of 100ish that outward bank would more than likely kill people where it's so abrupt and fast. The quad down would have enough power to possibly break bones or do some serious bruising? Yea going 90 up the hill isn't a good idea I myself don't think.

What amazes me is how the past two pages have been people arguing over a speed that most likely is a complete lie.

I will say, I was told by one of the LR ride ops this weekend that after the coaster was turned over to Dollywood and they began their training, the trains were still running upwards to 90 MPH on some testing and Dollywood wasn't happy with this, because it is burning out wheels and brakes.

Am I the only one that read this? Or did everyone else just focus on the "90 mph" and forget everything else? Good god, people, don't you all know the only legit information comes from the Dippin Dots dude?

Plus think of the whiplash, this coaster goes into a breaking wave into a outward 90 degree banked turn into some more outward banked airtime hills BUT at a speed of 100ish that outward bank would more than likely kill people where it's so abrupt and fast. The quad down would have enough power to possibly break bones or do some serious bruising? Yea going 90 up the hill isn't a good idea I myself don't think.

I don't believe it's going 90 up the hill, just hitting 90 at the bottom of the first drop.

Is anyone else going to be maybe just a tad bit sad when the ride does open and we lose the amazingness that this thread has become!?!?!

Looking forward to our visit this summer!

The amazingness of this thread will never end because. . . #Itllneveropen!

Edited by Wily J

What amazes me is how the past two pages have been people arguing over a speed that most likely is a complete lie.

I will say, I was told by one of the LR ride ops this weekend that after the coaster was turned over to Dollywood and they began their training, the trains were still running upwards to 90 MPH on some testing and Dollywood wasn't happy with this, because it is burning out wheels and brakes.

Am I the only one that read this? Or did everyone else just focus on the "90 mph" and forget everything else? Good god, people, don't you all know the only legit information comes from the Dippin Dots dude?

#Itllneveropen

I started reading this thread when I realized it still wasn't open and it should have been, and I'm finally ready to join in and say....

#itllneveropen !!

WOO, glad to have finally got that off my chest. Carry on discussion now about how a wooden coaster that goes 90 mph should and will open after all....

Is anyone else going to be maybe just a tad bit sad when the ride does open and we lose the amazingness that this thread has become!?!?!

Looking forward to our visit this summer!

They will just find something else to complain about!

Huh, so da wheels be smokin' goin' up dat dere liftem up hill, jus like my 1970 GMC pickem' up truck wit da flame out da tailpipes. Cept I blewed up da moter when I hits 90mph and dun fudged it rights on up. Maybe Dolly helps me rebuilt it to only ger 70mph. Den I gives ya'll rides to Dollywoods to looks at dat marvel coazter cause it'll never open. Onlys for lookin'

Dippin Dots is no longer trustworthy, didn't you see where we've moved on to TGIFridays patrons as trusted sources?

"Mr. Haney, that's no launch system for a wooden coaster; that's a chicken!"

"Au Contare, Mr. Douglas. I sold one to Dollywood just a few months ago and that coaster runs so fast they won't let anyone ride it."

#itllneveropen

"We asked for world's first launch but we're giving you world's fastest. Take it or leave it."

But seriously, if the launch isn't working just build a lift hill and the ride will be just as amazing. I wasn't a fan of the launch because personally I'd rather have a slow climb to the top to take in the views.

#It'sPossibleIt'llOpenButNotProbable

Lots of extrapolation based on vague rumors again. I'll believe there could be a kernel of truth that DW is still working on adjustments.

I still feel like they could have a target of opening by Memorial Day if at all possible. If they can't open by then, the delay will really start to be a bit unfortunate for them.

Something off topic from Lightning Rod.

I will be at the park next weekend. Which day should I do to Splash Country and which day should I go to Dollywood?

Sunday, May 22, and Monday, May 23, are the choices. Not used to dealing with potential school trips so wanted some insight.

Thanks, everyone.