TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

We didn't see the SMB but will have to check that place out next time - sounds right up my alley.

And yeah, you're right about OSM not being real moonshine - real straight moonshine tastes like sh%t!

But seriously, most of the stuff we tasted there was a lot like the flavored vodkas in that they were way too sweet and low in alcohol % for me. The actual "moonshine" was a lot like vodka and I'm not a straight vodka fan. Gimme good old fashioned whiskey or a good bourbon any day of the week.

Not if it's done correctly. Problem is the real stuff varies so much, even with the same person from batch to batch. The good stuff has a lot of corn flavor and some sweetness.

OSM is terrible. Try Tim Smith's Climax moonshine. It's goooood!

OSM basically is vodka. It's made from "100% Neutral Grain Spirits", which is almost tasteless and odorless like vodka. Probably made with giant continuous column stills. I'm guessing they blend it with some corn whiskey for flavor, or possibly even use artificial corn flavoring. And if you look at OSM's bottle, it says "Bottled by OSM", meaning it could be made anywhere, and likely isn't distilled in TN (probably by MGP in Indiana). If you try to find a picture of their distillery, you can't. Companies that distill their own product want it to be know and show it off. And if they did distill it themselves, you can bet they'd take advantage of being able to print "Distilled by OSM LLC in Tennessee" on the bottle, but otherwise legally they can't. This sourcing is happening more and more lately. Probably a majority of the whiskey you see on the store shelves now isn't actually made by the company printed on the label.

Anyway SMB's giant 20,000 sq ft bottling facility is offsite somewhere else in Gatlinburg (not on the strip, LOL). So obviously the small copper pot still in each tasting room (there's now one in Pigeon Forge too) is for show and is obviously not a production still, considering the amount they distribute/sell. I even saw OSM sold in Nassau, Bahamas a few months ago. I think OSM is owned or at least started by some lawyers. There are a few other "moonshine" distilleries in the Gatlinburg area now. I had an amusing visit at the Davy Crockett's Tennessee Whiskey place (in the former Legends by Max restaurant) across and just down the street from OSM in Gatlinburg (DCTW & OSM = same owners) once, but I guess I'm already way off topic here. Also, when I went (shortly after it opened), their barrels had the actual distiller's brand name sanded off. Again, likely from MGP in Indiana or possibly Heaven Hill, Barton, Jim Beam, or Four Roses in KY.

Edited by Brent York

BLOWN AWAY by the level that this park is playing at now - The QUE is stunning - you do NOT see that level of story telling many places. These guys are upping their game big time. The great thing is the awesome QUE leads to a ride with a big payoff.

A coaster without a kyew just takes away from the experience. I can't believe they are adding such an in depth experience before a ride that isn't even open. The Q looks like it will tell a picture book style story, but nothing compared to Banshee's que. That's an authentic real IRL experience that will make you get the feels, fam. When you walk into the que and see that eternal burning flame that immortalizes Son of Beast it's so authentic that no one can hold tears back. That has to be the definition of big time game. Men, women, children will put down their Banshee ice cream and pour out some Banshee brew out of respect of the eternal flame of the Son. It is fun to compare this que to that que, but this is really just disrespectful to Son of Beast.

Let's also not forget that Carmen Electra graced the grounds of Kings Island and ensured everything opened on time. Maybe it's time this park gets a Latin singer. I'm more optimistic than that Guy, but let's be realistic here everyone please some things need to be taken serious

That's an authentic real IRL experience that will make you get the feels, fam. When you walk into the que and see that eternal burning flame that immortalizes Son of Beast it's so authentic that no one can hold tears back. That has to be the definition of big time game. Men, women, children will put down their Banshee ice cream and pour out some Banshee brew out of respect of the eternal flame of the Son. It is fun to compare this que to that que, but this is really just disrespectful to Son of Beast.

There really aren't enough of these in the world for this post but...

Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue.Queue. - Line em up!

BLOWN AWAY by the level that this park is playing at now - The QUE is stunning - you do NOT see that level of story telling many places. These guys are upping their game big time. The great thing is the awesome QUE leads to a ride with a big payoff.

A coaster without a kyew just takes away from the experience. I can't believe they are adding such an in depth experience before a ride that isn't even open. The Q looks like it will tell a picture book style story, but nothing compared to Banshee's que. That's an authentic real IRL experience that will make you get the feels, fam. When you walk into the que and see that eternal burning flame that immortalizes Son of Beast it's so authentic that no one can hold tears back. That has to be the definition of big time game. Men, women, children will put down their Banshee ice cream and pour out some Banshee brew out of respect of the eternal flame of the Son. It is fun to compare this que to that que, but this is really just disrespectful to Son of Beast.

Is there a queue for the queue?

So after LR finally opens and all the anger, hatred and misery is put to bed, it shouldn't be long there after that they begin to hint about what will happen in 2017. (they are still in the 300 million dollar expansion) I'm guessing something with Splash Country since it's been a bit for it to receive an upgrade. Thoughts and speculation?

So after LR finally opens and all the anger, hatred and misery is put to bed, it shouldn't be long there after that they begin to hint about what will happen in 2017. (they are still in the 300 million dollar expansion) I'm guessing something with Splash Country since it's been a bit for it to receive an upgrade. Thoughts and speculation?

Fingers crossed for a giga coaster? All jokes aside that probably realistic. Isn't Dollywood sorta running low on real estate? (Unless they're aloud to build back where the Dollywood Express goes but I highly doubt that since that's such a popular ride.

^DW has a ton of land. Much more than most parks. A giga may not be likely for various reasons, but it's not wholly out of the realm of possibility for them. In fact, I was expecting something much taller before LR was announced.

I'll agree that they will probably focus on Splash Country in 2017, especially since it looks like SDC might be getting a coaster that year.

Ok seriously, when is LR going to open? If they have a press day, they usually announce that ahead of time, not the day of (or before)

The comment from Screamscape of 'couple weeks' on April 21 should put the opening right around this weekend.

I'm surprised at the lack of leaks. DW is doing a pretty good job of controlling this.

^DW has a ton of land. Much more than most parks. A giga may not be likely for various reasons, but it's not wholly out of the realm of possibility for them. In fact, I was expecting something much taller before LR was announced.

I'll agree that they will probably focus on Splash Country in 2017, especially since it looks like SDC might be getting a coaster that year.

Looking on google earth I'm just trying to get an idea of where their land ends. They obviously can't build behind Ms Lilian's since the eagle reserve is back there and the ridge behind Firechaser Express is A really out of the way for guests (not a big deal) and B is where the train is and is incredibly hilly with lots of cliffs so hard to build on.

^they don't own the land behind miss lillians, the eagle reserve, or tn tornado. Basically, all the land in between the park and the parking lots is theirs, that's hundreds of acres available for future use. All up beyond the upper train loop is theirs as well. They have several hundred acres to expand when they need to.

There is a map on page 487 that shows most of their property in yellow.

Quoted for your convenience:

Interesting development if it turns out to be true.

I was looking at the property Dollywood owns and sure enough they do own the hillside (and more) that's across the service road from Rockin' Roadway...so I suppose its possible to go across the street and up in to the hillside area for a new coaster...which I circled in red on this map. The yellow highlighting is Dollywood property, or most of it at least.

image.jpeg.c5587b3b1a71ec1b944c897b5d90ae90.jpeg

The Herschends were very long-term thinking folks. They bought up as much land as they could both in Branson and Pigeon Forge. I know at SDC they bought up land along the road in both directions specifically so that they could fend off the crappy developments and keep the area "in the woods".

A lot of it is hard to build on, but they've cut through a couple of hills just recently and they can always do it again. As far as coasters go, there's endless opportunities.