TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

It's all over the place. . .

Use to when saw a new post in this thread I would think it was an update on lighting rod. . . But nope, just more of these stupid pictures.

Disclaimer! You need a sense of humor to view our site,

if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!

I'm all for updates with testing and stuff, but this is hilarious.

new news is that testing has come to end.

WATE tv update 4/26/16

PIGEON FORGE (WATE) – Rollercoaster lovers can rejoice.

Pete Owens with Dollywood says the Lightning Rod will open in the next few weeks. According to Owens, crews finished testing of the roller coaster on Friday.

The innovative ride uses new technology never used on a wooden coaster and the manufacturer asked for additional time to finish up. It is the first launched wooden coaster in the world. It will also be the fastest wooden coaster in the world. The coaster’s hot rod themed trains will race down a 165-foot drop reaching a top speed of 73 miles per hour.

Looks like they miss quoted him. The other 2 news station say testing started back up last Friday.

Otherwise I'll be there sometime after I see pictures of people riding it.

This would probably be my plan of attack if I'm ever making a trip for a new coaster. It would have saved a lot of people a lot of grief.

I'm 3 hours away with a season pass and love going to ride grand openings (even if it is basically soft open) so no huge risk and I'll be back a few more times before the end of the year anyways.

new news is that testing has come to end.

WATE tv update 4/26/16

PIGEON FORGE (WATE) – Rollercoaster lovers can rejoice.

Pete Owens with Dollywood says the Lightning Rod will open in the next few weeks. According to Owens, crews finished testing of the roller coaster on Friday.

The innovative ride uses new technology never used on a wooden coaster and the manufacturer asked for additional time to finish up. It is the first launched wooden coaster in the world. It will also be the fastest wooden coaster in the world. The coaster’s hot rod themed trains will race down a 165-foot drop reaching a top speed of 73 miles per hour.

Looks like they miss quoted him. The other 2 news station say testing started back up last Friday.

yeah, they either miss quoted or misunderstood what he said. Bottom line is that this is encouraging news.

edit - they revised the story to fix that sentence.

Pete Owens with Dollywood says the Lightning Rod will open in the next few weeks. According to Owens, crews resumed commissioning of the roller coaster on Friday.
Edited by coasterfreaky

I'm thinking the media totally misquoted PR. What they said is that they gave up on it last Friday and that demolition will start in the next few weeks.

Sent from the puss filled zit on the wart on my big toe using a home remedy of ginger weed, cabbage juice, and juicy rabbit sharts.

This would probably be my plan of attack if I'm ever making a trip for a new coaster. It would have saved a lot of people a lot of grief.

I'm 3 hours away with a season pass and love going to ride grand openings (even if it is basically soft open) so no huge risk and I'll be back a few more times before the end of the year anyways.

3 hours is reasonable- I was thinking along the lines of those needing more than a day trip to accommodate a visit.

3 hours is reasonable- I was thinking along the lines of those needing more than a day trip to accommodate a visit.

I usually go for the weekend just because I never want to leave. Dollywood, Gatlinburg, and the Smoky Mountains are so wonderful I would stay for much longer if I could! I do agree if I was further from the park I would be much more cautious about my visit.

A little late, but my Dollywood trip report is up on my blog. You can check it out here.

DOLLYWOOD VIDEO: April 2016 Trip Report / Park Review

Very glad you enjoyed Dollywood, and yes a lot of people don't care for Mystery Mine due to the OTSR, and Pete was asked if they were going to convert Mystery Mine to lapbar, and his response was they've thought about it but just not at this time.

A little late, but my Dollywood trip report is up on my blog. You can check it out here.

Very glad you enjoyed Dollywood, and yes a lot of people don't care for Mystery Mine due to the OTSR, and Pete was asked if they were going to convert Mystery Mine to lapbar, and his response was they've thought about it but just not at this time.

God I hope they don't. The OTSR are what make me enjoy it a lot more than the other Euro Fighters I've been on. I hate how unsupported I feel when I ride Dare Devil Dive especially laterally.

I feel like he may just be letting us down easy and that they aren't seriously considering this, but I'd be happy if it does come to fruition. I can't help but really like Mystery Mine because of the theming, but Eurofighters are one ride where OTSRs can be brutal (and lap bars can noticeably enhance the fun).

God I hope they don't. The OTSR are what make me enjoy it a lot more than the other Euro Fighters I've been on. I hate how unsupported I feel when I ride Dare Devil Dive especially laterally.

Not a Euro Fighter but I think you'd have a total blast on Cannibal.

Not a Euro Fighter but I think you'd have a total blast on Cannibal.

Cannibal seems like its in a class all its own as far as intensity goes. A drop that steep and big must be something one of a kind. Hope to ride it soon.

In other news. Thoughts on Pete Owens saying they expect a May opening? DAY TRIP ANYONE?