TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Was at the park today and yesterday....not even mad about LR even tho it was the point of the trip planned in Dec. But to say it's "due to extensive commissioning" as a consumer really pisses me off. It should say "LR is experiencing problems and is set to open later" because it's a flat out lie to say it isn't because of Dollywood and RMC's bullshit 3rd party hiring that went wrong. I work in a consumer driven market,and if we said "we didn't deliver because of extensive testing and commissioning" we'd flat out lose our clientele. Anyway....very impressed with the park and LOVED the people. The layout was fantastic. Only "suggestion" would be to add a big time expansion ride to the World Fair or carnival area whatever that's called. My wife and I didn't know it even existed till day 2. That area needs some help. Otherwise,loved the compactness of the park and how much fun it was traversing through the hills. Hope to come back after "comissioning" (sarcasm)

Lastly...loved the way they build everything into the mountains. Unless you're going there,you'd never know the place existed by driving by.

Lastly...loved the way they build everything into the mountains. Unless you're going there,you'd never know the place existed by driving by.

This. Same with SDC. I went in April of '13- right after Outlaw Run opened- and had never been before when the trees were bare. It gave a really interesting view of the coasters in particular and how they use the terrain to their advantage. For example, it hadn't occurred to me that the lowest point on Thunderation (that curve before the brakes and lift) runs right next to the entrance road. Driving by it, you can look straight up the mountain and see how dramatic the difference is between the highest and lowest points, even though the track itself is rarely that high off the ground directly below it.

Just came across this screen shot from Lightning Rod's new night time POV!!!

OMG!! The coaster looks amazing!! Can't wait to try it out!!

(Really though... the coaster does look amazing! Can't wait for it to be open!)

HILARIOUS!

Found this on Twitter, can't tell if the actual LSM's have been removed or if they've been replaced. Something looks different though.

The only differences I see are those gray "boxes" or whatever that appeared to have been installed adjacent to the LSM fin. Not sure what they will be used for, maybe something anti-rollback related?

Found this on Twitter, can't tell if the actual LSM's have been removed or if they've been replaced. Something looks different though.

The only differences I see are those gray "boxes" or whatever that appeared to have been installed adjacent to the LSM fin. Not sure what they will be used for, maybe something anti-rollback related?

PCU Cabinets maybe, but that Cable Tray looks awful barren.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The LSM's are gone... it's a sign they are tearing down the ride. Now that the ride is dead, there is nothing to talk about anymore.

Moving on..

^ Probably. I didn't notice them before. When it comes to that cable tray, I agree. It actually looks worse the further away you look at it.

^ Probably. I didn't notice them before. When it comes to that cable tray, I agree. It actually looks worse the further away you look at it.

Once the new Stators are installed, I'm sure the cable tray filled with cables will have a cover put on. Let's also hope they do something to it so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

I really don't understand how you get all the way to the point of being "finished" and realize the most critical element - HOW YOU GET THE THING GOING - isn't working. Wouldn't you think that would have been figured out way before you get to the point we were at when they went "opps - our bad"

Most logical direction at this point is the removal of the current launch system for one from another company. I'd imagine a lot of the hardware and launch mechanics itself had to be ordered which is why we didn't see anything happening for a while. So if this is the case, were now going to witness all elements of the launch be removed, and then replaced. All new wiring and computers to integrate with the ride system, and then testing. Another thing to think about is if they are indeed replacing the entire launch system in favor of one from another company you better believe Dollywood paid out the rear for it. They want LR up and running much more than any of us. Its a biz and they're losing money everyday without it operating.

I think what he is trying to say is that they could have built some smaller scale prototype to see the results.

I would imagine Velocity Magnetics would have had data to back up their product in order for them to have been selected as the LSM Vendor. It sounds to me they didn't have a product that would consistently propel the trains to a proper speed. To my knowledge, every LSM/LIM Launch System collects data from the previous launch, in order to calculate how much energy it will take to get the next vehicle up to speed. That could have also been an issue, but I'm just speculating on the whole thing.

Currently at Dollywood. Workers are all over the lift today installing what looks like either extra mag brakes or LSMs, not sure which. The original LSM system seems to still be all in place. Also there's a single lead car at the base of the lift. Probably there for motor/brake clearance. Still no way to predict how long it'll be, but rest assured Dollywood and RMC are working hard to get this thing open.

image.thumb.jpeg.5805388b29d6e6f853da18a86024205b.jpeg

Workers on lift.

image.thumb.jpeg.f2deea9de2139e46cb4f86d122418705.jpeg

Bad angle but it's the best I could get.

Most logical direction at this point is the removal of the current launch system for one from another company.

So the ride is a few weeks late - weeks, not months - and you think the MOST LOGICAL thing to do is completely scrap an expensive launch system and replace it with one by another vendor?

The photos posted today certainly don't support that theory. They're adding brakes and the existing launch looks like it's still there.

^^Right, as I've pointed out before none of us know exactly what is wrong with the launch system. It could work well enough in the basic sense, but fail to pass some sort of safety check or some other issue. Perhaps additional brakes are all it needs. Perhaps they will still have to rip it out after they try whatever it is they are trying now.

You guys can speculate at what they're doing all you want, but at the end of the day it doesn't make sense to say anything with any remote authority about what is wrong and how this will get fixed.

All I know is that I'm glad the activity has picked back up. Based on that note I will speculate that they know how to fix it and are hauling ass to get it done soon.

I think what he is trying to say is that they could have built some smaller scale prototype to see the results.

EXACTLY - seems very irresponsible on the part of RMC to wait until the entire structure was complete before performing any testing to evaluate the system. I know there will be TEST AND ADJUST but to be "surprised" that the entire system is not working just seems a little weird.

EXACTLY - seems very irresponsible on the part of RMC to wait until the entire structure was complete before performing any testing to evaluate the system. I know there will be TEST AND ADJUST but to be "surprised" that the entire system is not working just seems a little weird.

Velocity Magnetics is the LSM Vendor, so I wouldn't put it on RMC because they have high standards and want to deliver a product that will operate consistently and not break down right after it opens. Shit happens. :\

By the looks of things, there are 3 guys currently working on the lift hill. And that top guy seems to be shooting us some pretty dirty looks. I'm thinking one dude in the crane, and a few more for ground support. Maybe one or two computer guys behind the scenes, and a supervisor. With the lead car positioned where it is, and the current Capricorn moon rising in the house of Mercury. The angle of the dangle is based on the ratio of caloric intake vs cal burned. The sun is West, Southwest which would put the hematoma angiona in a recipricol orbit. Calculating the dohickys response to the thingamajigs bite force, we can obviously deduce based on no pertinent or available information that this thing will never open, and they're just planting explosives and pyro to set the whole thing off in a blaze of glory! Perhaps they'll simulate some sort of lightning strike at the top to keep with the whole lightning theme.

Now, that is only one man's highly educated guess.

I could be wrong.

By the looks of things, there are 3 guys currently working on the lift hill. And that top guy seems to be shooting us some pretty dirty looks. I'm thinking one dude in the crane, and a few more for ground support. Maybe one or two computer guys behind the scenes, and a supervisor. With the lead car positioned where it is, and the current Capricorn moon rising in the house of Mercury. The angle of the dangle is based on the ratio of caloric intake vs cal burned. The sun is West, Southwest which would put the hematoma angiona in a recipricol orbit. Calculating the dohickys response to the thingamajigs bite force, we can obviously deduce based on no pertinent or available information that this thing will never open, and they're just planting explosives and pyro to set the whole thing off in a blaze of glory! Perhaps they'll simulate some sort of lightning strike at the top to keep with the whole lightning theme.

Now, that is only one man's highly educated guess.

I could be wrong.

I'm with Guy on this. lol It's still fun either way.