TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I think we can all agree that this is a repeat of Son of Beast.

Yeah dude. A month or two delay is totally as bad as a ride that sent people to the ER and was structurally unsound.

I posted this just after seeing responses to the original post. Once I saw who posted it I got it.

^You wouldn't believe how many of those frivolous suits they get. Every now and then the news points one out, but they seem to be pretty constant. Always someone "slipping" on a piece of pavement or tripping over a rock or whatever they can come up with. From the whispers I hear around the industry it sounds like there's been a major uptick over the last year.

Any updates on Lightning Rod? Any workers sighted in the last couple of days to fix the launch?

Got the official answer when emailing to Dollywood ("...The ride manufacturer asked for additional time to commission the ride..."), would have liked to receive an estimated opening time frame like "late summer/August"

We might be in the area during July, 6th until 10th, only visiting if the coaster will be open then.

Any updates on Lightning Rod? Any workers sighted in the last couple of days to fix the launch?

Got the official answer when emailing to Dollywood ("...The ride manufacturer asked for additional time to commission the ride..."), would have liked to receive an estimated opening time frame like "late summer/August"

We might be in the area during July, 6th until 10th, only visiting if the coaster will be open then.

Plot twist: It's actually perfectly fine and they're just doing this to build up hype.

Plot twist: It's actually perfectly fine and they're just doing this to build up hype.

Dolly will be back at the park on May 6, 7. I would guess that could be the next target date.

This is really a PR nightmare for Dollywood and Rocky Mountain Construction...

This has been pegged the unofficial best new roller coaster for 2016 and currently Dollywood looks awful b/c it is not open yet and they had a media day with nothing for the media to ride. They can save face if it is open by Memorial Day b/c that is the unofficial start of summer. Yes in 10 years no one will really care but right now they are losing revenue for this year. I for one will not schedule a trip down there until I know it is running and that may mean I won't go to until next year.

This also is RMC's first botch. They seem to have a reputation of doing good timely work. I know they are saying it is their sub-contractor's fault but their name is on the proverbial building.

This may be the first ,only and last launched wooden roller coaster. It really is not even worth the trouble IMO. Yes a launch is always pretty cool but the launch is essentially just a high tech lift hill.

This may be the first ,only and last launched wooden roller coaster. It really is not even worth the trouble IMO. Yes a launch is always pretty cool but the launch is essentially just a high tech lift hill.

We don't even know that the issue has anything to do with it being a wooden coaster, and my bet says it doesn't. Plus, I think it's a really cool idea to have a launched wooden coaster, so long as it's not a one trick pony.

The delay has nothing to do with the fact that it's a wooden coaster. It has everything to do with the fact they used a prototype launch system from a manufacturer with minimal LSM development experience.

It's a prototype. It's gonna have teething problems. Odds are, the second launched woodie probably won't.

True, I mean Kingda Ka runs perfectly compared to Top Thrill Dragster. . .

Ohhhh... wait, that's right.

It's a prototype. It's gonna have teething problems. Odds are, the second launched woodie probably won't.

I reckon the first few wooden coasters to feature a 120 mph hydraulic launch will see their share of downtime as well.

Death, too.

Well I just officially cancelled my Dollywood trip. It is not because of Lightning Rod though. I will feel slightly less sad that I cancelled if the ride is still down the first week in June when I was supposed to be there.

Disclaimer to avoid butthurt: No I don't hope the ride is still down then.

Yeah, but that's Intamin, You can't expect them to run consistently.

This is really a PR nightmare for Dollywood and Rocky Mountain Construction...

This has been pegged the unofficial best new roller coaster for 2016 and currently Dollywood looks awful b/c it is not open yet and they had a media day with nothing for the media to ride. They can save face if it is open by Memorial Day b/c that is the unofficial start of summer. Yes in 10 years no one will really care but right now they are losing revenue for this year. I for one will not schedule a trip down there until I know it is running and that may mean I won't go to until next year.

This also is RMC's first botch. They seem to have a reputation of doing good timely work. I know they are saying it is their sub-contractor's fault but their name is on the proverbial building.

Calling it a PR nightmare is probably a bit of an overstatement. I also don't think you can make assumptions about the launch until you experience it.

The delay has nothing to do with the fact that it's a wooden coaster. It has everything to do with the fact they used a prototype launch system from a manufacturer with minimal LSM development experience.

Two things.

1. I think the fact that it is a wooden coaster may have everything to do with because I can imagine the technology needs to be retrofitted to accommodate a wooden structure.

For example: A steel LSM coster runs on a steel straight track where the manufacture has to make sure that every part lines up perfectly. With a wooden roller coaster where wood settle, shifts, sways etc that may be something that needs to be accounted for when adding a LSM system.

Also remember this is not a straight horizontal launch like many launched rides. This is is essentially a launched lift hill which may also pose some problem on a wood structure.

2. The fact that it is a wooden coaster might explain why RMC had to resort to using a company whos experienced with LSM launches is limited. No one has experience with an LSM launch on a wooden coaster, and few manufactures have any roller coaster LSM experience; and of those that do some may have decided their tech could not work with this type of ride.

Calling it a PR nightmare is probably a bit of an overstatement. I also don't think you can make assumptions about the launch until you experience it.

I think a media day for an attraction that is not open is probably one of the worst case scenarios for your public relations department who is planning a media event just for the ride in question that is closed. I can't think of many other scenarios that would give a PR team a nightmare. I think it also speaks volumes that RMC put out their own independent press release.

The LSM stators are attached to metal rails that are connected to the running rails, so the launch should hold itself in line and straight. So it being wood is almost definitely irrelevant.