TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Can someone post this "now-infamous" commercial?

I Googled it and can't find it posted anywhere. It would be nice to watch it for myself versus reading all of the complaints about it.

No. We'd rather just get pissed off and yell about false advertising without actually watching it. It's more fun that way.

All they have to do is change 2 seconds of audio from "Now open at Dollywood" to "Opening soon at Dollywood". I could do that in a minute on my PC. Perhaps in the TV world, it's difficult to get changed?

I used to do this all the time way back in 91 when I worked at the local NBC affiliate in Alberquerque. And we didn't have non linear editing back then. We were doing it using 3/4" tape stock and a Sony RM450. And serioulsy, with just an overdub it would take 5 minutes. We could even use our on camera graphics designer to create a slide that we could edit in within 15 minutes. For the station, this could easily be done and inserted into rotation within a half hour. Worse case scenario, they can pull the ad with only a few minutes notice.

I couldn't care less how DW handles the issue, just sayin' these things are even easier to do in this day and age on my laptop. So if they wanted the commercial changed or taken out of rotation, it isn't that difficult. Barring any kind of legal issues, or contracts, it's usually a phone call or 2.

Read a comment on an IG picture of Lightning Rods trains in the station saying that no one has been seen around the site during the day, but activity does go on at night. (Including testing) Now whether this is true or not, I have no idea. It does seem like something Dollywood would do though, as secretive and special as they want that first launch to be to the public, testing at night would work perfectly. Though if anyone wants a clear view of any movement just go to those Condo's on the ridge and look over. It literally takes up the entire space down in there and hugs every single bump and curve of the hills.

I was at Dollywood today, mainly went for pizza as both my Girlfriend and I where off.. Park was dead but pizza was good.. Got a few walk-on rides on mystery mine and fire chaser.. It was fun for the two or three hours I was there.. It actually ended up being very nice from 5 - 6 and I believe I even got sunburned ha-ha..

Read a comment on an IG picture of Lightning Rods trains in the station saying that no one has been seen around the site during the day, but activity does go on at night. (Including testing) Now whether this is true or not, I have no idea. It does seem like something Dollywood would do though, as secretive and special as they want that first launch to be to the public, testing at night would work perfectly.

The company that is doing the ride controls posted and said they weren't even at the site anymore and have been over at Storm Chaser. I'm pretty sure Dollywood can't just test a ride on their own without the controls people there. It has to be totally done, like turning over the keys to the park, before they can run it themselves...

Plus if they really want to get this thing open, they're not going to limit testing to just overnight hours. They'll run it round the clock so we can ride!

Plus if they really want to get this thing open, they're not going to limit testing to just overnight hours. They'll run it round the clock so we can ride!

Not necessarily, they likely wouldn't want day guests seeing testing because that would give off the false assumption that the coaster is open.

I Googled it and can't find it posted anywhere. It would be nice to watch it for myself versus reading all of the complaints about it.

I actually planned to this morning but didn't see it. Either they pulled it, or it aired at a different time than the last two days. But I only watch for about 30 mins while getting ready for work.

I thought they said "their job was done and they where dismissed and not the reason for the delay"

So maybe they have turned over the keys

Yeah, this seems odd to be testing at all period. Maybe the Velocity LSM's are being given another opportunity?? By the sounds of RMC's announcement it made it seem as though the Velocity LSM's were not up to par. To me, that means they need to be replaced altogether. So...wondering if DW is giving it some more time to work out before making the call to replace them, or keep them if they work??

edit: this makes financial sense...no doubt LSM's are expensive, as well as uninstall and replace and install new ones...might as well test & adjust the heck out of them before making a final decision.

Dolly's plans for Dollywood

WBIR & Tennessean story about Dolly's 2016 plans

The 31st season of Dollywood is already underway in Pigeon Forge, Tenn. Parton’s hometown theme park opened for the year in mid-March, but it’s most anticipated expansion of the year is still waiting to be unveiled.

Lightning Rod, billed as both the world’s fastest and the world’s first launching wooden roller coaster, will open later this year.

At its fastest point, the coaster travels at 73 miles per hour, includes a 165-foot drop and gives guests nearly 20 seconds of airtime. The ride is in Dollywood’s Jukebox Junction.

"Later this year'' is open for interpretation, but it sounds like they are planning for this to take awhile. It is what it is.

edit: this makes financial sense...no doubt LSM's are expensive, as well as uninstall and replace and install new ones...might as well test & adjust the heck out of them before making a final decision.

That could also end up being a bigger time risk only to pay more in the end anyway. At least by switching brands (to a more established one like they should have in the first place) they have a bit more security in their investment on an already risky tech.

No. We'd rather just get pissed off and yell about false advertising without actually watching it. It's more fun that way.

That's kinda what I figured, but thought it would be worth it to ask.

I was just listening to our local news station outside of Atlanta, GA. They were interviewing with a Dollywood publicist and discussing stuff about the park and also Lightning Rod. She said they are "going to open the coaster in a couple of weeks". She wasn't specific, however. I'm not totally buying this YET. Thank goodness my family has season passes, we can return anytime this year and will try to make it to the park as soon as it opens.

I was just listening to our local news station outside of Atlanta, GA. They were interviewing with a Dollywood publicist and discussing stuff about the park and also Lightning Rod. She said they are "going to open the coaster in a couple of weeks". She wasn't specific, however. I'm not totally buying this YET. Thank goodness my family has season passes, we can return anytime this year and will try to make it to the park as soon as it opens.

Good to hear. My trip to Dollywood isn't until late May, so if "going to open the coaster in a couple of weeks" is true, then I should be fine.

It's a shame that all of these of delays have happened, but I guess it's better than opening it as is and having it be another Top Thrill Dragster (closed half of the time).

^That's deceiving and definitely would do more harm than good.

I would assume there is a way to change a TV ad even once it is sent out...

Or maybe Lightning Rod is open!

The advertising schedule is usually non-cancellable too close to the air date. When events like this happen, there are four possible outcomes.

One - the ad agency contacts the station and says don't run the ad, but still pays the station. The station runs makegoods for another advertisers or a public service announcement. The station still sometimes runs the wrong ad

Two - the ad agency contacts the station and sends a contingency ad with instructions to run the contingency ad until further notice (with directions to destroy the old commercial) The station still sometimes runs the wrong ad.

Three - The programmer at the station isn't notified of a change and continues running the wrong ad

Four - The ad agency forgets to contact one station who continues to run the wrong ad

In my experience, scenario number three occurs most frequently.

All they have to do is change 2 seconds of audio from "Now open at Dollywood" to "Opening soon at Dollywood". I could do that in a minute on my PC. Perhaps in the TV world, it's difficult to get changed?

I used to do this all the time way back in 91 when I worked at the local NBC affiliate in Alberquerque. And we didn't have non linear editing back then. We were doing it using 3/4" tape stock and a Sony RM450. And serioulsy, with just an overdub it would take 5 minutes. We could even use our on camera graphics designer to create a slide that we could edit in within 15 minutes. For the station, this could easily be done and inserted into rotation within a half hour. Worse case scenario, they can pull the ad with only a few minutes notice.

I couldn't care less how DW handles the issue, just sayin' these things are even easier to do in this day and age on my laptop. So if they wanted the commercial changed or taken out of rotation, it isn't that difficult. Barring any kind of legal issues, or contracts, it's usually a phone call or 2.

Legal issues certainly come into play. My ad agency would never let a station change an ad under any circumstances, because of all the approvals needed. It's a CYA industry. And so true that automation should in theory make everything easier, but when the new ads arrive and a senior person accepting materials is not physically at the station the materials can end up anywhere. We have had RUSH material sent from the ad agency sit in a mail room for days. Even if materials are sent digitally, it can be logged improperly or lost at the station.

I'm not saying it is not the ad agnecy's fault but if any stations are running correct ads, there is a very strong likelihood that Dollywood and the ad agency did their job.

Edited by larrygator

Good to hear. My trip to Dollywood isn't until late May, so if "going to open the coaster in a couple of weeks" is true, then I should be fine.

It's a shame that all of these of delays have happened, but I guess it's better than opening it as is and having it be another Top Thrill Dragster (closed half of the time).

It's sad to say that may still be a gamble, but be optimistic.

^Perhaps it's something in the wood that causes the LIMs to not work properly? Perhaps LIMs were never meant to be made out of wood in the first place. Come to think of it, wood isn't a good conductor at all. In fact, if high enough current is applied to wood, it catches fire. That's not good. In fact, being a wood coaster, I'm leaning toward bad. You'd think they would make them out of some sort of conductive material. Or better yet, magnets. That way they could use them to push or stop the train just by adding current in succession. If I was designing it, that's what I would use. But I'm no engineer.