TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

i dont no about u guys but i am getting sick and tired of all of them delays my wife and i bought tickets for dollywood and i expected to be able to go onthis ride like i was told i wood be able 2..... .. i told dollywood that i wanted my money back and they refunded my tickets but i said thats not enuff the representative said they could not refund me for the cabin i rented and i said that bs because i rented that cabin so that my seven kids and i could ride this ride and i cant even afford it anyway so now my credit card company is calling and telling me that i need to pay before i go to the cabin and honestly none of this wood have happnd if DW wouldnt have sent my wife an email SIX MONTHS AGO SAYING THAT THE RIDE WOLD BE OPEN!!!!! were so frustrated and now my 4 year old is crying to my 5 year old who keeps telin my 3 year old that he will never be able to ride this ride ever because RMC is not the company they were two years ago. i cant help butt agree with all of them because when we were at mcdonalds last nite i was even talking to the guy at the cash register that even said that he went to great american six flags last year in gurnee chicago and he didnt even get any money back when goliath wasnt open. they need to do something like let everyone ride this ride for free wants they open it since they r screweing over all of their hard working customers i work 3 jobs and my wife and kids and i can barely afford cigarettes let alone tickets to dollywould that i completely wasted

also dose anyone think that the muscle car is dumb for litning rod? why couldnt they make it so ur ridin in a kick a$$ yellow camaro or something actually realistic to this century? LOL!!

But are people saying it's rough compared to a RMC hybrid though?

Because it's a completely different kind of ride and that's just a silly comparison. As much as I love the RMC coasters and the pre fab intamins before them. There is still something crazy fun about the 'rougher style' traditional woodies that give you that 'we might die' feeling IMO.

Wood is wood to the GP. Don't think for one minute that they care about who made it.

They will likely think that Dollywood made it (we know this as in house production).

I think you missed his point, though. Lightning Rod will be far smoother than a traditional woodie, and the GP is not so stupid as to think: "Ow! This is rougher than the new one!"

Oh yes they will. There will be talks of "they're tearing out Thunderhead because it's so rough". You're giving the GP waaaaaaay too much credit

I love how enthusiasts refer to non enthusiasts as "the GP" in a condescending way and mock their lack of knowledge about coasters the day after this page happened.

What's worse? People who ride coasters occasionally because they're fun and don't know much about them because they just want to have fun and they don't care or people who obsess about them yet still post dumber things than "the GP" could ever dream of and do it with incredible confidence and authority?

What's worse? People who ride coasters occasionally because they're fun and don't know much about them because they just want to have fun and they don't care or people who obsess about them yet still post dumber things than "the GP" could ever dream of and do it with incredible confidence and authority?

I've honestly leaned more toward the "ride coasters because they're fun" mentality more and more as I've grown older. It's why Phoenix is my favorite, honestly, and it's why I enjoy riding coasters like Firechaser Express and Freedom Flyer over and over.

^People chastise me for not thinking Boulder Dash is the end all be all OMFG MOST AMAZING COASTER EVER. I think it's a fine ride, but it's certainly not one I could sit on for hours on end and no where near better than sex as some may suggest. A coaster than can keep my interest, is re-rideable, and comes with cheers, laughter, and fear from those riding will hit my favorites list long before anything with massive air, -7g's, 160mph aquatrax anyday.

I share Bill's thoughts on the 'GP' Label, someone who has never been to another park before in their life, but visits faithfully their local park 20+ times a year might be labeled 'GP' by the hardcore coaster club card toting enthusiasts, but they are far from 'GP' and likely know waaaaay more about that park than one who holds 12 season passes, drops in for 6 hours, and then becomes an 'expert' on the park.

But I suppose theme park geeks are no different than NFL/NBA/(insert pro sport) geeks who know everything about a team, the stadium, the VIP offerings etc and then make fun of the casual fan.

I actually like to consider myself more in this category than the 'cool kid' (yeah right lol) click that scrutinizes people who don't know the ins-and-outs of coasters, and their standards are too high to admit that anything but Intamin or RMC ejector air is garbage. Keeping up with the news of coming attractions, finding attractions that I want to ride, and learning just a little bit about the technological side of things are why I come back to the boards.

You're always going to have the hobbyists who ruin it for everyone... Which is why I don't talk to most people, especially those who are over the top about anything. Unfortunately with my interests, Ice Hockey, nutrition, fitness, cars, and even roller coasters, these people are hard to avoid. I do however find it interesting that people sling more ego and get more butt hurt in this hobby than any of my others. It's ironic, since it's a hobby almost completely about having a good time. However, one differing opinion on who is better between Donald Duck and Micky Mouse, or which roller coaster provides a better experience and people go absolutely nuts! I can't lie... it's pretty entertaining, when it's not striking a nerve. I have been known to poke the bear a time or two.

Of note, I've actually found some of the most humble, down to earth, and laid back personalities in something as competitive as ice hockey, with exceptions of course. It's the only thing I've ever done where you intensely race, push, and shove for a little black piece of rubber and when you accidentally get elbowed in the face you're not even mad... Especially once the blood dries and the apology is rendered.

i dont no about u guys but i am getting sick and tired of all of them delays my wife and i bought tickets for dollywood and i expected to be able to go onthis ride like i was told i wood be able 2..... .. i told dollywood that i wanted my money back and they refunded my tickets but i said thats not enuff the representative said they could not refund me for the cabin i rented and i said that bs because i rented that cabin so that my seven kids and i could ride this ride and i cant even afford it anyway so now my credit card company is calling and telling me that i need to pay before i go to the cabin and honestly none of this wood have happnd if DW wouldnt have sent my wife an email SIX MONTHS AGO SAYING THAT THE RIDE WOLD BE OPEN!!!!! were so frustrated and now my 4 year old is crying to my 5 year old who keeps telin my 3 year old that he will never be able to ride this ride ever because RMC is not the company they were two years ago. i cant help butt agree with all of them because when we were at mcdonalds last nite i was even talking to the guy at the cash register that even said that he went to great american six flags last year in gurnee chicago and he didnt even get any money back when goliath wasnt open. they need to do something like let everyone ride this ride for free wants they open it since they r screweing over all of their hard working customers i work 3 jobs and my wife and kids and i can barely afford cigarettes let alone tickets to dollywould that i completely wasted

also dose anyone think that the muscle car is dumb for litning rod? why couldnt they make it so ur ridin in a kick a$$ yellow camaro or something actually realistic to this century? LOL!!

Hey now...no direct copy/pastes from someone's Facebook page.

This made my day. I'm actually shocked someone here hasn't taken it seriously yet. Which would make it that much more awesome!

I get it now!

As someone who works in the industry and deals with complaints like these from time to time, well done.

Of note, I've actually found some of the most humble, down to earth, and laid back personalities in something as competitive as ice hockey, with exceptions of course. It's the only thing I've ever done where you intensely race, push, and shove for a little black piece of rubber and when you accidentally get elbowed in the face you're not even mad... Especially once the blood dries and the apology is rendered.

Who calls it "ice hockey"?

That's like saying "the" before every coaster you list.

Who calls it "ice hockey"?

That's like saying "the" before every coaster you list.

Not really at all. There are several different types of hockey, being floor hockey, field hockey, roller hockey, and ICE hockey. Roller hockey is very popular in the STL area where I am from. The sport I play is called Ice Hockey. Way to get the point, though.

...now back on topic.

Edited by prozach626

So according to the sign posted outside of Lightning Rod, it states that the coasters launch will reach 4gs. 0-45 mph in (I think 2 seconds) and reaching 4gs, this coaster is sure to impress. Also, I've never paid attention to any other coasters signs but do all RMC's require you to not have "excessive clothing". Because Lightning Rod doesn't allow excessive clothing such as thick jackets.

This seriously made my night!!!

Not really at all. There are several different types of hockey, being floor hockey, field hockey, roller hockey, and ICE hockey. Roller hockey is very popular in the STL area where I am from. The sport I play is called Ice Hockey. Way to get the point, though.

...now back on topic.

I did a field test by asking people I know, and at least in Minnesota, it's just called hockey UNLESS you are playing some other variation of it (floor, field, roller). To me, it's exactly the same. Unnecessarily adding a word.

I got the point, I'd rather discuss hockey than complain about Dollywood, or complain about the people upset that this epic coaster isn't open yet. Especially now that my Minnesota Wild look like they will be making the post season. Remember, you're the one that brought 'ice' hockey up repeatedly in your post. I was just continuing the discussion.

That being said, glad I didn't plan a trip yet. This looks like it could catapult right to the top of my ride-list, and I'd hate to miss it.

^You are aware language varies by region right? Just last week someone from another area was complaining at me because I called it a "food store" instead of a "grocery store".

Absolutely. I was just having a little fun, and wanted to talk about some COLD FROZEN WATER hockey for a moment.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming... Edit - did you seriously call it FOOD STORE?!?