TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

News Flash! I just heard it on the radio.

DOLLY IS TOURING!

Her first tour in over 20 years.

60 cities in the USA and Canada!

(They're playing Coat of Many Colors right now )

Who wants to see the first video testing of LR?!?!? Looks like it's running pretty well!

[vimeo]

[/vimeo]

I think I just drooled on myself. This thing flies up that first hill. Much faster than I thought it would, and the drop looks amazing. I can't wait to ride this coaster this summer!!!

Believe in Dolly. Dolly loves us. My precious! Guylum! Guylum! Tricksy Appalachian! Deceives us she did with her backsy woods charm! No! No! Dolly would never tricks us? Dolly's always been good to us. Sings us to sleep when Thunderhead claps she does. Not Dolly! Dolly means us no harm. Who then? Who wants to hurts us? Guylum! Guylum! Ahhhhhh, I knows who. Must be the fats mountain men from the Rockies. Never likes us they have. Always looking at us. Yes. Yessssss! The mountain men. What to do abouts the mountain men? Guylum! Guylum! I knows. We boils them up, and eats them we will!

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

My precious. MY PRECIOUS! My preciousssssssssssssssssssssssss.

2113326311_EvilGuy.jpeg.b1bee8cde5b454602232e5a6cdcd64aa.jpeg

I live locally and am on Spring Break this week, so I too am sad that Lightning Rod won't open this weekend, but I trust in Dollywood and RMC to make the ride safe and the best experience possible! I'll be there Friday regardless to enjoy Wild Eagle, Mystery Mine, and the thrill of riding coasters again!

Separate question: Will TPR have an event for Thrills in the Hills? As a brand new member of course I've never been to a TPR event, nor have I been to Thrills in the Hills, but I think it would be fun to go with a group! Most of my friends aren't really into coasters that much, and my mom (my usual theme-park buddy even though I'm an adult) is working and can't attend.

Sadly, they've known a long time now it would not be opening this weekend. In her press conference last week, Dolly stated it would open "later in the month." Then the show schedule was published a few days later and it was not a normal schedule for when Dolly is there. I know things happen but to wait until this close to opening to announce it when they knew at least two weeks ago just doesn't sit well with me. This has caused a lot of headache for many people with travel plans, hotel reservations (too late to get a refund now), days off work, etc. when it could of been avoided.

Just gonna quote this one more time...

When are we gonna learn it's not a good idea to make plans to go to a not so close park opening weekends and subsequent weekends after for new rides? If attached all possible, at least wait until it's up and running regardless if the park has a good track record.

THIS!!! THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS!!!!!!

Agreed on the "even if the park has a good track record" comment. Look, here's a ProTip for you - No one is going to gain any bonus points by being one of the "first" to ride something. So if the park in question requires a flight or significant car ride, taking time off work, etc, etc.... we strongly recommend waiting until the ride is open, has had a chance to break in (it's usually better then anyway) as it will greater guarantee you will get to ride that coaster that is part of your goal going to the park.

I plan on being there in July. I'm assuming the ride would have had plenty of time to warm itself up by then!

I don't think this post can be quoted enough. (Okay, maybe it can.) I'm going at the end of May. Will it be open? Hopefully. If not, I will still go. It looks like an amazing place to visit, LR or not.

Separate question: Will TPR have an event for Thrills in the Hills? As a brand new member of course I've never been to a TPR event, nor have I been to Thrills in the Hills, but I think it would be fun to go with a group! Most of my friends aren't really into coasters that much, and my mom (my usual theme-park buddy even though I'm an adult) is working and can't attend.

I don't think there's an official TPR event like West Coast Bash but I can guarantee that members will be there. There's a Thrills In The Hills thread somewhere so between that and this thread you should have no problem organizing a get-together at the event itself.

This has caused a lot of headache for many people with travel plans, hotel reservations (too late to get a refund now), days off work, etc. when it could of been avoided.

Oh, well. They should have had the foresight to know that nothing is a guarantee. I won't be getting to Phantasialand until June but if I get there and Taron is still not open, I'll just go and have a hell of a time in the rest of that incredible park. Kinda like I'd do at Dollywood. Just because one ride, anticipated it may be, is closed doesn't mean you're completely shafted. Had people made big travel plans and Dollywood announced today that they've sold to Six Flags and they've taken the liberty of one-training every coaster and putting skeleton crew ops into play, there'd be cause for headaches. As it stands, quit being such babies.

The good news is that even though the ride is not it is at least running, that drone footage of the ride makes the ride look massive and amazing. I think they may just be tweaking and getting their final inspections completed or else they would not be running a train.

Oh, well. They should have had the foresight to know that nothing is a guarantee. I won't be getting to Phantasialand until June but if I get there and Taron is still not open, I'll just go and have a hell of a time in the rest of that incredible park. Kinda like I'd do at Dollywood. Just because one ride, anticipated it may be, is closed doesn't mean you're completely shafted. Had people made big travel plans and Dollywood announced today that they've sold to Six Flags and they've taken the liberty of one-training every coaster and putting skeleton crew ops into play, there'd be cause for headaches. As it stands, quit being such babies.

You're missing the point here. If they had announced when they actually knew two weeks ago, that would of given guests ample time to cancel hotel reservations and even sell plane tickets for those that live farther away. Some of us attend on very special days such as when Dolly comes, not just to be the first to ride a new ride. You must make plenty of money at your job and have a flexible unlimited vacation times since you apparently see no wrong here.

^ I didn't plan a cross-country trip to ride a rollercoaster on opening day.

I'm going to SDC next month, Holiday World in May. Planned on a whim thanks to cheap airfare over my work weekends (Thursdays and Fridays). Never been to either but if I get there and some rides are closed, I'll live. First and only time I've been to Dollywood we saw Tennessee Tornado was closed all day. I didn't stomp my feet and whine about it. I just rode Thunderhead more because Thunderhead is incredible.

Also, like I mentioned but you seem to have not read, I'm going on a very large trip this summer to Europe that's going to cost me some good money, but like I said if things are closed I'll figure out a way to survive, like riding other attractions.

Everyone please just calm down and just be thankful that Dollywood provided the world with this beautiful ride that will be enjoyed by all who ride it for many decades to come. (It's not like they had to or anything)

Edited by mordecai-75

Even without Lightening Rod, Dollywood is still an amazing park.

Let's not forget about Thunderhead and Wild Eagle. Both great coasters. Tennessee Tornado, the Arrow coaster that rides like a B&M. So smooth. My favorite Arrow. Mystery Mine is awesome depending on where you sit.

Barnstormer is a fantastic S&S swing.

Don't forget the amazing food, and of course you can not visit without getting your "Chicken Blessins". from Miss Lillian.

If you already have plans to go, by all means, GO. Enjoy the park. Lightening Rod will be there on your next visit.

I'm curious as to if they'll keep Jukebox Junction closed off until the coaster opens as well? I mean what's the point in having a newly renovated area open based around your coaster when the coaster isn't open? Plus I think it would be better to unveil the new things along with the opening of the coaster. Of course you can't block of Reds and Rockin Roadway so they'll fix something up if they were to go that route.

Completely agree, things happen. Hey look at the ACE UK trip last summer, booked far in advance and then boom Smiler accident happened. I'm planning a trip to UK myself this summer and I'm still facing the fallout of the Smiler accident at Alton Towers with Hex and a few other rides being closed. Who cares? I'm still crazy excited that I get to finally visit Alton Towers and I'll still have a blast, plus there's the incentive to go back when said ride opens or re opens. The same applies to any park out there.