TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

at least Guy is still alive...

seriously I feel for anyone who could only plan a trip in the coming weeks and will miss out...as posted before, I have never quite recovered from my one and only trip to Dollywood in Dec '14 when the temps were so low that not a single coaster opened...not a one...I had to simply admire then all day long...and the pretty lights...and wonder, what if...?!

I rest easy knowing that Guy will get in his rides long before many of us will ever make it there...

seriously I feel for anyone who could only plan a trip in the coming weeks and will miss out...as posted before, I have never quite recovered from my one and only trip to Dollywood in Dec '14 when the temps were so low that not a single coaster opened...not a one...I had to simply admire then all day long...and the pretty lights...and wonder, what if...?!

I rest easy knowing that Guy will get in his rides long before many of us will ever make it there...

Considering it is supposed to snow Sunday, I'm not sure many coasters will be open then either.

Try not to let this end too many of your lives. These things happen and in the grand scheme of things your life could be much, much worse than missing a roller coaster that will be at the park for 20+ more years. This is affecting Dollywood much more than you personally and think about those poor people in PR and GR dealing with this.

We've all been there. We've missed credits, we've been at a park before a coaster opened or seen it testing or seen it right after it closed to the public. It's okay to be bummed out, but don't let it ruin you. You'll get on the ride at some point and it will be great.

Maggiekat and I will still be going on the 23rd. We planed this trip because we had never been to Dollywood and always wanted to go. We can't wait. We love theme parks and this place looks like a lot of fun. If anyone plans on being there on the 23rd. Look us up!!!! We will be the ones having a blast

It for sure looks bad for publicity but if RMC themselves have requested the ride be tested furthur we should trust their judgement. It's much better for a ride to open a few weeks late and be safe than for it to open too early and safety or reliability be 'iffy.' This is the first RMC to not make the opening day right? It's also the first and only launched RMC and the only launched wooden coaster in the world. This is reasonable.

We've all been there. We've missed credits, we've been at a park before a coaster opened or seen it testing or seen it right after it closed to the public.

It's OK, you can say it. Expedition GeForce.

Luckily I scored one backseat ride before it died.

I hope they confirm if the new opening day is Thursday, March 24th, the same day as Dolly's visit.

I need to reschedule my time off work and if it will be open that day along with Dolly being there, I will definitely go! I just need confirmation on that new date.

I think it is a pretty bold move of RMC to take the blame on themselves. I highly respect them for that.

Seeing my home park open an Intamin Log Flume a year after what was promoted I can understand how travelers and locals feel. Still, this is a really honest press release and no "due to conditions we could not control", blabla. Delays happen and even from a distance, I think the way Dollywood deals with that is perfect.I hope I can make it there soon

Edited by DaveDowning

If you call the cold, empty, cavernous black pit that is my tortured heart, alive. Then yes! I MAY still be alive.

But forever changed!

(recesses into the shadows)

Hisssssssssssssssssssssssss!

My precious! MY PRECIOUS!

You are too funny, Guy!!!

. Delays happen and even from a distance, I think the way Dollywood deals with that is perfect.

You think it's "perfect" to wait until three days before opening to announce something that's been pretty apparent to anyone watching for a couple weeks?

While we all conceded that there was a *possibility* that the ride might make it, all signs pointed toward a slight delay. No testing videos, no reports of endless cycling, not even a second train on the track until yesterday. I have no doubt that they all wanted, hoped and wished that this thing could be up by Friday but that was always the long shot and they should never have planned media days on Thursday, a "grand opening" countdown to the ride on the weekend and even a coaster club event with Lightning Rod ERT on Saturday. That's just crazy for any new ride let alone a prototype trying to open in mid March! (And yes this is a prototype. It's velocity magnets first launch)

There's been almost no sign of serious testing. Meanwhile Dollywood got on the news YESTERDAY trying to drum up opening day business by talking about the new ride. Pretty convenient to cancel with under 72 hours to go before pass holder day. I'm sure it's not just a coincidence that the cancellation refund policy at their fancy new resort is 72 hours in advance.

No, the "perfect" thing to do would be to set a Grand Opening and media day in mid April and allow for a little bit of buffer. If the ride soft opens, great! That's a bonus perk. Say "lightning rod, coming later this spring" on the news instead of getting the GP excited. They don't follow the construction like us and they wouldn't have any reason to expect it to be closed based on what the park put forth.

Pretty shameful. I can't think of a time when a park was so sloppy about handling the delay of a major attraction.

She's complete and she's beautiful!!!!! Testing should happen any day now.

EDIT: Sory I meant to merge the two posts together but somehow I double posted. Ugh

Let´s hope Dollywood can pull a miracle. It was supposed to be testing almost a month ago, so they are far behind schedule. And with it being technology RMC has never encountered before, I suspect it will open late. But who knows...

I told you guys weeks ago. BUT NOW MY PROPHETIC WORDS OF WISDOM REIGN TRUE IN THE LAND OF DOLLY!

Just kidding. But for real, this sucks. Honestly this is a marketing disaster from Dollywood. I'd expect better from them. It's not the end of the world to open a ride late, but to tell guests only 3 days before opening that it won't be running is downright apocalypse. Especially since their on-side hotel will be giving you a $90 cancellation fee for deciding that the mere sight of Lightning Rod isn't worth $100's of dollars to you. Maybe I missed the part where they would refund those who booked early, but if not, this is kinda upsetting. You're just telling guests that trusting the park=losing money. That's a bad stance to make from a PR perspective.

Jeez, just skimmed the Dollywood Facebook page, I feel so sorry for those in PR and Guest Relations, as well as all their front line people over this weekend... Not a fun scenario for the park and staff

Positive side, it's still a great park and there will be Cinnamon bread to enjoy

I'd rather have them take the time to get it right vs trying to open it early to please the same people who would sue if something were to go wrong.

Exactly. Yes, the delay is unfortunate, but a launched coaster of this type is, indeed, unique, and it's not shocking that RMC and the park want to get it running properly. Which is worse--delaying the opening or dealing with the fallout of opening a ride prematurely and seeing it break down constantly?

Positive side, it's still a great park and there will be Cinnamon bread to enjoy

This is also true.

. Delays happen and even from a distance, I think the way Dollywood deals with that is perfect.

You think it's "perfect" to wait until three days before opening to announce something that's been pretty apparent to anyone watching for a couple weeks?

While we all conceded that there was a *possibility* that the ride might make it, all signs pointed toward a slight delay. No testing videos, no reports of endless cycling, not even a second train on the track until yesterday. I have no doubt that they all wanted, hoped and wished that this thing could be up by Friday but that was always the long shot and they should never have planned media days on Thursday, a "grand opening" countdown to the ride on the weekend and even a coaster club event with Lightning Rod ERT on Saturday. That's just crazy for any new ride let alone a prototype trying to open in mid March! (And yes this is a prototype. It's velocity magnets first launch)

There's been almost no sign of serious testing. Meanwhile Dollywood got on the news YESTERDAY trying to drum up opening day business by talking about the new ride. Pretty convenient to cancel with under 72 hours to go before pass holder day. I'm sure it's not just a coincidence that the cancellation refund policy at their fancy new resort is 72 hours in advance.

No, the "perfect" thing to do would be to set a Grand Opening and media day in mid April and allow for a little bit of buffer. If the ride soft opens, great! That's a bonus perk. Say "lightning rod, coming later this spring" on the news instead of getting the GP excited. They don't follow the construction like us and they wouldn't have any reason to expect it to be closed based on what the park put forth.

Pretty shameful. I can't think of a time when a park was so sloppy about handling the delay of a major attraction.

Shameful? Sloppy??? Words I would never have imagine being used to describe dollywood! As much as you and others may want to deny it. This is a prototype coaster. New technology being used. Forget the fact that this is a unique situation that has never happen at dollywood I feel that you are really taking your criticism to an all time low whenn the park has one of the best track record of opening day debuts for new attractions

To the people who say that the opening (or not opening) of a coaster is not something that should impact our lives deeply, let me remind you why we all ride coasters: We ride coasters and travel to amusement parks to take a break from our shitty daily lives.

I'm upset not only because I'll be flying from Brazil just to -apparently- ride only kiddie coasters in Pigeon Forge, but also due to all the season pass/foreign credit card drama and everything that followed. Lately I've been having so many bad experiences with US parks (and some coaster people, from park employees to coaster fans) that traveling to the US is no longer fun.