TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

From Dollywood's homepage:

Lightning Rod will not be open to the general public at this time due to extended ride commissioning. Lightning Rod is an innovative ride featuring new technology never before used on a wooden coaster. The ride manufacturer asked for additional time to commission the ride. Keep watching Dollywood.com for future updates.

Lightning Rod will not be open to the general public at this time due to extended ride commissioning. Lightning Rod is an innovative ride featuring new technology never before used on a wooden coaster. The ride manufacturer asked for additional time to commission the ride. Keep watching Dollywood.com for future updates.

However... it has been announced that Dolly will be the park 3/24. That could be the magic day.

However... it has been announced that Dolly will be the park 3/24. That could be the magic day.

That would be perfect for me!

Who wants to see the first video testing of LR?!?!? Looks like it's running pretty well!

[vimeo]

[/vimeo]

Holy crap, that's amazing. Holy airtime, batman.

^ Holy crap that launch is much faster than I'd anticipated! Going over the first two hills in the front of the train will be airtime heaven!

And in the back of the train will be airtime nirvana. Going down the drop in sustained ejector....

Email I just received from Dollywood PR:

Lightning Rod will not be open for Grand Opening weekend. Lightning Rod is an innovative ride featuring new technology never used on a wooden coaster. The ride manufacturer asked for additional time to commission the ride. Progress is being made daily. Please check dollywood.com for future updates.

FAQ:

1) Why is it not ready, didn’t you start construction last summer?

A) This an innovative ride featuring technology never before used on a wooden coaster. At the ride manufacturer’s request ride commissioning has been extended to ensure the best possible ride experience for our guests this season.

2) Is it safe?

A) Yes! Safety is our number one priority at Dollywood and we work hard every day to keep our guests as safe as possible.

3) When do you expect it to open?

A) We will open when the ride is fully commissioned and we are comfortable the ride is the best it can be. Unfortunately, at this time we cannot provide a date.

4) When is Dolly visiting?

A) Dolly’s schedule is very full this year with a tour, a new album etc. She will, however, be on park March 24. She will also be in Pigeon Forge on Friday, May 6th for the parade on the Parkway.

Is the video not showing up for anyone else because I see nothing?

Edit-watched the video on facebook. Looks great! Shafted that it wont likely be open in time for my first visit but fingers crossed for my april trip. As long as it opens this year I will for sure be riding it so we'll see how soon that is! I will still be enjoying the park for 2 great weekends with my friends and girlfriend so one roller coaster not being open won't soil my spirits so much!

Edited by kickflipbacktail

My life has no meaning.

I am a shell of a man. If you can't believe in Dolly, who can you believe in?

CHER completely abandoned us all after she won her Oscar for Moonstruck.

Likewise Babs after Yentle.

Bette, Divine M. One word. Beaches.

BEACHES!

Celine. What's wrong with your face?

WHO WILL FILL THIS EMPTY VOID IN MY SOUL!?

Just gonna quote this one more time...

When are we gonna learn it's not a good idea to make plans to go to a not so close park opening weekends and subsequent weekends after for new rides? If attached all possible, at least wait until it's up and running regardless if the park has a good track record.

THIS!!! THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS!!!!!!

Agreed on the "even if the park has a good track record" comment. Look, here's a ProTip for you - No one is going to gain any bonus points by being one of the "first" to ride something. So if the park in question requires a flight or significant car ride, taking time off work, etc, etc.... we strongly recommend waiting until the ride is open, has had a chance to break in (it's usually better then anyway) as it will greater guarantee you will get to ride that coaster that is part of your goal going to the park.

I plan on being there in July. I'm assuming the ride would have had plenty of time to warm itself up by then!