TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I know the website won't except cc on mobile devices. Log on the website from a computer or laptop.

Since when? When I visited last year the lines at the ticket booths were so long they had employees going around telling people they could buy the tickets on their phones and they could then scan the barcodes from their phones at the gate.

A couple of years ago I tried to order my season passes by my Ipad and it would take my CC due to security issues. I also tried once from my work computer and due to Firewalls it wouldn't let me complete the CC part of my order. It might be fixed by now. Just wanted to help.

And on other good news, the park is busting with decor for Festival of Nations and Mother Africa! Spring has sprung and the flowers are bountiful! The new "good to great" project on Showstreet will add a much needed open feel and much better travel for the thousands of visitors daily. You will notice new paint schemes on buildings throughout the park, new roofs, new signs, new decor and just an overall superior visual imagery of Dollywood!

I for one am super excited for the 2016 season of Dollywood that will begin in only 9 more days! Let's band together, cheer Dollywood on for completion of LR and get ready for this new season to start!

Shew... now time to go get my morning coffee and see if that coaster train has moved any today!

Is this "new good to great project" on Showstreet helping to fill the void of the much-missed (personally) Friendship Fountain, removed last year?

And on other good news, the park is busting with decor for Festival of Nations and Mother Africa! Spring has sprung and the flowers are bountiful! The new "good to great" project on Showstreet will add a much needed open feel and much better travel for the thousands of visitors daily. You will notice new paint schemes on buildings throughout the park, new roofs, new signs, new decor and just an overall superior visual imagery of Dollywood!

I for one am super excited for the 2016 season of Dollywood that will begin in only 9 more days! Let's band together, cheer Dollywood on for completion of LR and get ready for this new season to start!

Shew... now time to go get my morning coffee and see if that coaster train has moved any today!

Is this "new good to great project" on Showstreet helping to fill the void of the much-missed (personally) Friendship Fountain, removed last year?

Unfortunately not. I don't think we will be seeing the fountain come back anytime soon. The new I am talking about goes from the bakery all the way down to where the fountain was. It looks great!

I just wanna say that I am very dissatisfied with Dollywood customer services so far.

I tried to purchase the season pass online and ALL my credit cards (5 of them) were declined. I'm assuming that's because they were issued in Brazil?

So I called their customer service and after 10 minutes on hold (let me remind you, they only have 1800 numbers, so I had to add skype credits to make that call), I was told that they can't process the season pass in 6 easy payments over the phone, only on their website - and their website won't take any of my credit cards!

What is the point in getting a massive new coaster if they can't even process a damn foreign credit card?

There's a chance that your credit card companies in Brazil are stopping the transaction. You should contact them directly and see if there is an issue on their part. Before my friend's trip to Japan, he had a problem trying to buy Tokyo Disney Sea tickets with his USA-issued Credit Card. He called them to let them know the issue and once he explained they let the transaction proceed.

I just wanna say that I am very dissatisfied with Dollywood customer services so far.

I tried to purchase the season pass online and ALL my credit cards (5 of them) were declined. I'm assuming that's because they were issued in Brazil?

So I called their customer service and after 10 minutes on hold (let me remind you, they only have 1800 numbers, so I had to add skype credits to make that call), I was told that they can't process the season pass in 6 easy payments over the phone, only on their website - and their website won't take any of my credit cards!

What is the point in getting a massive new coaster if they can't even process a damn foreign credit card?

There's a chance that your credit card companies in Brazil are stopping the transaction. You should contact them directly and see if there is an issue on their part. Before my friend's trip to Japan, he had a problem trying to buy Tokyo Disney Sea tickets with his USA-issued Credit Card. He called them to let them know the issue and once he explained they let the transaction proceed.

Unfortunately that's not the case. I travel to the US quite often and this only happened at Dollywood's website, at both times I was going to visit the park.

For this upcoming trip I purchased tickets online for WDW, Lowry Zoo, Andretti Thrill Park, Universal, Legoland, Wild Adventures, Carowinds, Fun Spot, ZDT and Sea World San Antonio without any issues with my foreign credit cards.

For me, the whole Dollywood experience is becoming more and more frustrating every day. They don't have the option to message them on Facebook. They don't reply to posts on their wall. The 1-800 number can't be dialed from an international phone, only Skype. They don't have an e-mail where we can contact them, just a web form that takes 8-10 business days for them to reply. I've been to some shitty amusement parks around the world and only a few got me as aggravated as Dollywood did (Spoiler alert, Morey's Piers was another one).

^ I mean, it's Morey's Piers. There's really no explanation necessary. I've never regarded them well in terms of customer service and satisfaction. They're a boardwalk with some decent rides and mediocre coasters but awesome waterparks. Particularly the triple-down mat slides.

^ I mean, it's Morey's Piers. There's really no explanation necessary. I've never regarded them well in terms of customer service and satisfaction. They're a boardwalk with some decent rides and mediocre coasters but awesome waterparks. Particularly the triple-down mat slides.

Yup, their water park is amazing and while I was there I felt like I was in a park with a totally different management team...

The amusement park on the other hand... They didn't let me ride the ferris wheel alone (ok, apparently this is a standard procedure in the US). They also didn't let me ride the fucking Flying Galleon alone!!! Come on, what are they afraid of? That a single rider might get scared and jump off the boat??? It's a freaking family ride!!! Also, they didn't let me ride the Great Nor'Easter with a fanny pack. They had metal detector on the line (way before Universal made it seem cool).

Had to rent a locke , and they only accept credit cards, which I had left on my car, parked over a mile away, no cash.

It amazes me how some major US parks are so unprepared to welcome foreign guests, single riders, etc.

Edited by Mrenata

^^ I've been going to Morey's every summer for my entire life and can't think of a single bad experience I've ever had with service/customer satisfaction. Yeah I get that most of the coasters are mediocre and Morey's generally gets overlooked around these part because of that, but to me its always been about much more than the coasters. Love Wildwood and love Morey's. Always have, always will.

^ Not saying I agree with all of their policies, but all of those things you griped about are well known if you are familiar with Morey's, it even states all of those things right on their website.

^ I grew up in Monmouth County and made it to Morey's every few years. It's not that I've had a particularly bad experience at the park, it's just that the parks aren't noteworthy outside of the waterparks.

Now, in opinions of Wildwood itself, that's where we really skew differently. The town is a toilet. Now, I may be biased since I lived 10 minutes from Point Pleasant for 27 years of my life, but at least I can say with authority that I've never nearly stepped on a hypodermic needle in Point Pleasant.

It's just subjective, really. Living in Philly, Wildwood is nice.

I also visit all year long since I have family there so I get a taste of what its like during the quiet off season without any of the summertime riff raff. Its certainly not the nicest shore town and (like any other Jersey shore town) has some sketchy areas but as a whole the island has come a long way in the last ten years.

Anyways, back to Dollywood.

Planning to do the park with the wife Sunday and Monday 4/10-4/11.....what is best ticket option cost-wise? Like can you buy a day and upgrade to come back next inside park?

They have the After 3 Next Day Free ticket. Normal 1 day tickets are $65.

They also have a 3 day 2 park ticket for $99 which is a very good value, but that doesn't start until May when the water park opens. I don't think they have a spring season version of this..

Season passes are $94, which would be less than 2 single day tickets.

The season pass is the best way to go... If only they would allow me to buy the damn season pass online...

Me and four others are going near the end of June but not around 4th of July weekend. We live in Ohio and plan on getting 3 day 2 park passes for all of us. On the way were also visiting Kentucky Kingdom where we will get season passes. Is it worth getting the tickets that include the water park, and is it usually that hot down there? Or should we just go to the theme park skipping the water park and get $94 season passes for all of us?

Edited by Anoki

The season pass is the best way to go... If only they would allow me to buy the damn season pass online...

Try using a different browser or some kind of internet proxy site to access the Dollywood site. That's my only idea.

If the price is the same at the park and doesn't go up before your visit, you could always buy when visiting maybe...

This is actually closer to what Dolly's touch with Cas Walker was in the first place. Even though it was a grocery store, Dolly's first "gig" was singing on his radio show and singing the theme song which my Grandmother remembers hearing when she lived down in TN. It went something like "pick up the morning paper as it hits the streets, Cas Walkers prices they just can't be beat, get that Blue Band coffee and you'll want some more. Do your grocery shoppin' at the Cas Walker store..." And I guess this store just takes that little Blue Band line straight to heart. I am so so excited about this "new" Jukebox Junction. Probably more than any other area.

image.thumb.png.89f61caa22ef2845360a0cb6521c9ec5.png

Screamscape and other sources are saying Lightning Rod is not going to be open in March. Already booked my hotel for the last weekend in March so I'm still going to the smokies...Not sure if I'll visit Dollywood now, but I might. I realize it's just rumors and nothing official from the park. But hearing it may not be ready is disappointing. I love Dollywood, but walking past Lightning Rod and it not being open will be depressing. I may just make it a alpine coaster trip instead.

Screamscape and other sources are saying Lightning Rod is not going to be open in March. Already booked my hotel for the last weekend in March so I'm still going to the smokies...Not sure if I'll visit Dollywood now, but I might. I realize it's just rumors and nothing official from the park. But hearing it may not be ready is disappointing. I love Dollywood, but walking past Lightning Rod and it not being open will be depressing. I may just make it a alpine coaster trip instead.

So the possibility of not getting to ride one roller coaster is going to be enough for you to not visit the park all together??

IMHO: The park has so many other amazing attractions, that it'd be silly to not visit the park because one coaster isn't up and running yet.

So the possibility of not getting to ride one roller coaster is going to be enough for you to not visit the park all together??

IMHO: The park has so many other amazing attractions, that it'd be silly to not visit the park because one coaster isn't up and running yet.

If you read all his post you'd realize he's visited Dollywood before, so it's his decision if he wants to re-visit a park he's been to before. Not everyone feels the need to visit a park as much as possible if there isn't something new to entice them. A lot of people go to the Smokeys just for the Smokeys, so it's not like he's missing out on a good time anyways.

Believe it or not, there's more to life than just coasters

If you read all his post you'd realize he's visited Dollywood before, so it's his decision if he wants to re-visit a park he's been to before. Not everyone feels the need to visit a park as much as possible if there isn't something new to entice them. A lot of people go to the Smokeys just for the Smokeys, so it's not like he's missing out on a good time anyways.

Believe it or not, there's more to life than just coasters

Yeah, I've been to Dollywood many times. I only live 4 hours away so it's not that far. I can always come later in the year if I want. We were just going to Dollywood for Lightning Rod but may have rode the other coasters too while we were there. It's hard to pass up riding Thunderhead and Wild Eagle, two great coasters...But there is a lot to do in the smokies...Dollywood is just a bonus. So yeah, if Lightning Rod isn't open, I may skip the park this time.

When are we gonna learn it's not a good idea to make plans to go to a not so close park opening weekends and subsequent weekends after for new rides? If attached all possible, at least wait until it's up and running regardless if the park has a good track record.