TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

So, in these types of situations, what are usually the causes of delayed testing? Does it suggest that there is a problem with the ride? I'm pretty close to the park, so I don't mind a delay.. I'll be there several times this year, but I would be a bit upset about a lack of communication if I was traveling from afar to ride LR on opening weekend.

I don't think there is a problem with the ride. Nothing indicates or points toward this. What I/we do know, is with Dollywood being in the middle of the Smoky Mountains, and the ride construction going on right in the middle of our winter months, weather is very unpredictable! With many, many weeks of rain, snow and ice, I have watched the construction crews push forward through weather that most of us would not go out in just to walk to our cars to go out to eat. Taking into account all of this, the size of the ride, the new components, I think we have to say hands down that Dollywood has done a great job in pulling off this feat! The coaster track looks awesome, the station is amazing and the over all queue and decor will be breathtaking for this ride.

I do understand that if you come from the remote corners of a far away place to ride LR and it does not open with opening weekend you may be disappointed. It happens, its "life in the fast lane". BUT we have to remember that Dollywood is pushing these crews every day (yes they have been working 7 days a week, from sun up to sun down) to get this ride completed for opening weekend. This week and all of next week, we have 70+ degree weather and it is really helping to get things done. So please understand that while many people want Dollywood to just go ahead and blow the whistle and say, "sorry LR will not be ready for opening weekend", that is not what Dollywood wants or will do. Their goal IS to be open on opening weekend with LR and if for some very, very bad reason LR does not make the red carpet that weekend, no of us will probably know until that weekend. So keep those positive thoughts, keep those positive vibes coming in and lets start saying things like, "when I ride LR on opening weekend......". It makes these boards much more fun!

And on other good news, the park is busting with decor for Festival of Nations and Mother Africa! Spring has sprung and the flowers are bountiful! The new "good to great" project on Showstreet will add a much needed open feel and much better travel for the thousands of visitors daily. You will notice new paint schemes on buildings throughout the park, new roofs, new signs, new decor and just an overall superior visual imagery of Dollywood!

I for one am super excited for the 2016 season of Dollywood that will begin in only 9 more days! Let's band together, cheer Dollywood on for completion of LR and get ready for this new season to start!

Shew... now time to go get my morning coffee and see if that coaster train has moved any today!

^They're just running a little behind schedule, it's not a huge deal. At least the ride is complete and ready to start testing now. I expect it will be open in April.

You have to appreciate HFEC's efforts at getting new rides open at the beginning of the season, but sometimes things don't work out as planned.

Well said, well said!

^ Thanks for the reply. This is the first time I've followed a coaster from concept to completion... every stage of it has been super interesting. I have realized I would be the worst operations/ride technician. LR completes first circuit... "Open 'er up! She's ready to roll!"

That makes me happy.

Just finished buying our season passes for our trip at the end of the month (we're going for two days so it made more sense this way). If LR isn't open by the 28th/29th, I'll be disappointed, but c'est la guerre. I'll still have fun and who knows, with the season pass, maybe I'll make a impromptu run down later in the year to get on it.

That makes me happy.

Just finished buying our season passes for our trip at the end of the month (we're going for two days so it made more sense this way). If LR isn't open by the 28th/29th, I'll be disappointed, but c'est la guerre. I'll still have fun and who knows, with the season pass, maybe I'll make a impromptu run down later in the year to get on it.

I will also be there on the 28th

This still have that tent structure at the top of the launch... are they keeping that or something? It's for wasp protection, but I just don't get how it works, or if they will build a roof on top or something like that

That makes me happy.

I still haven't decided if I want to do a season pass and visit on 2 (or more) non-consecutive days or just do the after 3pm thing to come back the next day. I guess I'd have to decide soon with the season pass price going up after March 13.

^If they're into chicks who are almost dead and half plastic...

I guess at 14 anything gets you 'excited.'

You should be forever banned from Dollywood for your hateful remark of our beloved Dolly! (I am assuming you were just joking) However, (If not), You should be banned from using plastic to put fake parts on your fake little car you use as your avatar.

It was just a joke. My wife has plastic parts on her and I'm fine with it.

And I put real parts on my real car, which is identical in form, save added parts, to the all wheel drive turbo charged really icon in my avatar. Thank you.

I just wanna say that I am very dissatisfied with Dollywood customer services so far.

I tried to purchase the season pass online and ALL my credit cards (5 of them) were declined. I'm assuming that's because they were issued in Brazil?

So I called their customer service and after 10 minutes on hold (let me remind you, they only have 1800 numbers, so I had to add skype credits to make that call), I was told that they can't process the season pass in 6 easy payments over the phone, only on their website - and their website won't take any of my credit cards!

What is the point in getting a massive new coaster if they can't even process a damn foreign credit card?

I just wanna say that I am very dissatisfied with Dollywood customer services so far.

I tried to purchase the season pass online and ALL my credit cards (5 of them) were declined. I'm assuming that's because they were issued in Brazil?

So I called their customer service and after 10 minutes on hold (let me remind you, they only have 1800 numbers, so I had to add skype credits to make that call), I was told that they can't process the season pass in 6 easy payments over the phone, only on their website - and their website won't take any of my credit cards!

What is the point in getting a massive new coaster if they can't even process a damn foreign credit card?

I know the website won't except cc on mobile devices. Log on the website from a computer or laptop.

This still have that tent structure at the top of the launch... are they keeping that or something? It's for wasp protection, but I just don't get how it works, or if they will build a roof on top or something like that

Yes, exactly! The pesky wasp that continue to vacation at Dollywood year after year and perch on top of Wild Eagle and Thunder Head and the other coasters, like the high altitudes. So with that being said, the thought is if you have a structure element that is taller than the actual coaster, well the wasp will see this and go to it instead of the coaster track. I'm sure we will be seeing the large triangle peaks being covered with something to theme it to an old road tunnel of the sort. After all, who wants a new coaster like LR to be shut down every day during the summer because of wasp?!

Hate the Wasp problem,but i guess that's just something the park cant control.Visited the park seven times last year and Wild Eagle was closed down two of them for the Wasp problem.Just hope Lightning Rod is open by my first planned visit in a couple of weeks!

Ha. "Jolene" is playing on the radio right now. Right on, Dolly!

I bet if this new structure with/for the wasps works out, they'll be poppin'

up all over the park. And maybe a few other parks who have a similar problem?