TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Very twisty on the end before the double up! I love it! Also I didn't realize that the non-inverting half loop was going to be that tall. Wow....this thing is going to pack a big punch on all the naysayers.

Naysayers? Where have you found naysayers?

No where on here for sure, but like when I go looking for the construction pictures on Instagram, Facebook, etc. you find people who are like "Best coaster of 2016? Yea right.." Or "Very much over rated", or they're just complaining because the coaster doesn't have an inversion. A naysayer is someone who constantly has something negative to say or complains. I find it a lot with the Six Flags die hards.

Very twisty on the end before the double up! I love it! Also I didn't realize that the non-inverting half loop was going to be that tall. Wow....this thing is going to pack a big punch on all the naysayers.

I honestly think LR is my least favorite new RMC. it has to do with the hot rod theme. Whilst it was a great idea, I don't see how a ride through the wooded mountains fit the theme. I wish they would had designed more theming aspects.

Another factor is the launch and drop, which could have been so much better IMO. Imagine an uninterrupted transition from a launch to an amazing drop. The acceleration effect would be such a rush!

Hate me if you want, but it won't change that I think LR had more potential than was granted.

I honestly think LR is my least favorite new RMC. it has to do with the hot rod theme. Whilst it was a great idea, I don't see how a ride through the wooded mountains fit the theme. I wish they would had designed more theming aspects.

Another factor is the launch and drop, which could have been so much better IMO. Imagine an uninterrupted transition from a launch to an amazing drop. The acceleration effect would be such a rush!

Hate me if you want, but it won't change that I think LR had more potential than was granted.

Or well this for example, hopefully in a few weeks the opening will change his mind. Oh and with the hot rod theme in the mountains, that's really what they done in these hills. They would fix their cars up both body wise and engine wise and race them on the long stretches and on the windy roads. Usually with their girlfriends in the passenger seat. How do I know this? My grandfather has pictures and told me stories. So LR's story and theme fits perfect.

Notice the lack of asphalt in that photo.
I know - I really think its time for Dollywood to begin replacing black asphalt with pavers or stamped concrete throughout. Its SUCH a great detail that can add so much to the theme of the area. Imagine if craftsman valley had natural "earth" concrete with leaves and pebbles stamped in - interspersed with stretched of "wood" porches for the buildings.

Good thing you didn't post this in the Cedar Point thread, because over there they'd consider this "bitching and complaining."

Not particularly the coaster BUT did find some info on what's coming to Jukebox Junction. A food truck? It's themed to the 50's/60's and I had seen it mentioned in an article before I found the video on YouTube. The truck/food stand is called "Frannies". I'm really really starting to like what I'm seeing. This area was lacking the feel of the 50's/60's so much that when you walked into the area it felt dead.

image.jpeg.6fcbf033420c00cb658fc9340ba061e5.jpeg

image.jpeg.629f516ed0e161922f9661315b9c0b45.jpeg

image.jpeg.eb439e034d9073df9245424cd9e0f519.jpeg

I'm wondering how much speed it's going to carry into the final brakes in reality. Both of the existing RMC woodies appear to peter out at the end somewhat, as do the longer conversions like NTG. Although the end here is after a lengthy downhill slope so that should help. The coaster really does have a fantastic-looking design.

I'm wondering how much speed it's going to carry into the final brakes in reality. Both of the existing RMC woodies appear to peter out at the end somewhat, as do the longer conversions like NTAG. Although the end here is after a lengthy downhill slope so that should help. The coaster really does have a fantastic-looking design.

Outlaw Run carries it's speed better than any RMC I've ridden so far (all but Medusa and WC). It's pacing is phenomenal right until the very last second of the ride. The 2 rolls are very much uphill and it only starts feeling slow once you're upside down in the second inversion there, and then you're hanging sideways for a second before entering the brakes. The pacing on Outlaw Run is a huge reason why it catapulted into my #! wood spot last summer. I've heard that Steel Medusa also has insane pacing like this, but I have to wait a month before riding that one.

If Lightning Rod has pacing on the Outlaw Run/Medusa Steel side of the spectrum, I think it will become my favorite wood coaster ever.

Or well this for example, hopefully in a few weeks the opening will change his mind. Oh and with the hot rod theme in the mountains, that's really what they done in these hills. They would fix their cars up both body wise and engine wise and race them on the long stretches and on the windy roads. Usually with their girlfriends in the passenger seat. How do I know this? My grandfather has pictures and told me stories. So LR's story and theme fits perfect.

We will round them up and destroy them or at least ban them from Dollywood.

I've heard that Steel Medusa also has insane pacing like this, but I have to wait a month before riding that one.

If Lightning Rod has pacing on the Outlaw Run/Medusa Steel side of the spectrum, I think it will become my favorite wood coaster ever.

The pacing on Outlaw Run and Medusa is insanely perfect. If this thing lives up to those two, I don't know how I'm ever gonna choose which one I like most!

I'm wondering how much speed it's going to carry into the final brakes in reality. Both of the existing RMC woodies appear to peter out at the end somewhat, as do the longer conversions like NTAG. Although the end here is after a lengthy downhill slope so that should help. The coaster really does have a fantastic-looking design.

Outlaw Run carries it's speed better than any RMC I've ridden so far (all but Medusa and WC). It's pacing is phenomenal right until the very last second of the ride. The 2 rolls are very much uphill and it only starts feeling slow once you're upside down in the second inversion there, and then you're hanging sideways for a second before entering the brakes.

The slow second inversion is what I was referring to with Outlaw Run. Haven't been on it but it doesn't look like it exactly goes screaming into the brakes. Could just be due to the topography of course. I want to ride all the RMCs but it's pretty clear Outlaw Run is THE can't-miss RMC, I wonder if Lightning Rod will match it for intensity or not. Do we know if Lightning Rod is going to have steel wheels?

I wonder if Lightning Rod will match it for intensity or not. Do we know if Lightning Rod is going to have steel wheels?

I'm pretty sure in the revealment video I heard Pete say that the wheels on these trains were Urethane wheels, to make for a more smooth/swift ride experience.

Progress on Lightning Rod is really coming along nicely. I plan to visit the park on opening day, and the day after. This will be my first RMC and I really think of the wooden RMCs Outlaw Run is the only other one that could compete with this (on looks alone, I'll of course have to ride it before I can give a fair opinion)

Progress on Lightning Rod is really coming along nicely. I plan to visit the park on opening day, and the day after. This will be my first RMC and I really think of the wooden RMCs Outlaw Run is the only other one that could compete with this (on looks alone, I'll of course have to ride it before I can give a fair opinion)

This will be my first also! I might be there May or June though.