TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Having gotten a chance to sit in (and 'play' with) the new seatbelt mechanism, I like them a lot. Both from a guest perspective and from the ops. The belt is retractable, that goes from the inside of the train to the outer edge of the seat. When you buckle the belt (one side is fixed in the seat itself), it latches, the lap bar locks, and the belt itself will only get smaller. It doesn't ever really pull itself tighter, although it does have a spring to keep the belt snug. At the end of the cycle, the lap bars and buckles unlock, and don't lock again until enabled on the console. (That is, unless they've changed things since I've seen them.) I'm a huge fan of them.

when i posted about the seatbelts ( which shouldn't exist anyway ), i was mostly concerned with a tightening issue that would prevent proper airtime from existing when it should.

They won't tighten during the ride, they just won't be able to loosen while you're riding. And you won't be able to take them off after dispatch, but no one ever does that ...

Airtime is not affected by seat belts. Airtime --> sensation of negative g's/being forced into your lap bar. On these coasters, your lap bar is touching your lap at all times. Seat belts don't change anything. They didn't change anything on the B&M hypers with seat belts, they don't change anything on El Toro. Why would this specific coaster be any different?

Seriously the argument that seat belts "prevent" airtime makes no sense. If you put an accelerometer on a coaster with seat belts would it suddenly stop going below 1g?

I have big thighs as well. So far I have not had to walk of shame from a coaster with lap bars. The closest I have come is Lightning Run, which they had to push down on in order to get the thumbs up. I have been curious how comparable Lightning Runs restraints are to RMC

I have big thighs as well. So far I have not had to walk of shame from a coaster with lap bars. The closest I have come is Lightning Run, which they had to push down on in order to get the thumbs up. I have been curious how comparable Lightning Runs restraints are to RMC

They look similar, but I personally thing that RMC restraints are comfortable for most sizes, because they don't exactly squeeze in on your thighs. The leg restraint might be a bit uncomfortable, but you really keep your feet back during the ride anyway to have the full experience. I have long legs (though I'm around an average height for my age), so I'd rather not keep my feet flat

did anyone ever figure out why PR Pete said that the track was complete, when you could see in the event photos that the final part of the ride isn't even built yet? seems strange to me. still hopeful for an on-time opening, I can't wait to ride!

Yeah, that reminds me: Does anyone know what they plan on doing with the steeple-shaped supports that go over the apex of the launch hill? I would assume that if it was a significant piece of the ride (a la New Texas Giant's tunnels) that they would have done something with it by now.

Yeah, that reminds me: Does anyone know what they plan on doing with the steeple-shaped supports that go over the apex of the launch hill? I would assume that if it was a significant piece of the ride (a la New Texas Giant's tunnels) that they would have done something with it by now.

It's part of the Insect Prevention Program (that's not actually what it's called).

Airtime is not affected by seat belts. Airtime --> sensation of negative g's/being forced into your lap bar. On these coasters, your lap bar is touching your lap at all times. Seat belts don't change anything. They didn't change anything on the B&M hypers with seat belts, they don't change anything on El Toro. Why would this specific coaster be any different?

Seriously the argument that seat belts "prevent" airtime makes no sense. If you put an accelerometer on a coaster with seat belts would it suddenly stop going below 1g?

The issue is, if the seatbelt is too tight or tightens more during the ride, it feels like it is cutting you in half. Where, if the belt is slightly loose and lets move a little, it doesn't hurt as much. I've had some rides on Magnum where I fought to get the buckle done and it provided a very painful ride. Of course, it doesn't help that I usually ride in the ejector-seat!

I am loving the looks of this ride more and more with each update. June can't get here soon enough.

The wife and I are looking for some other things to do outside of Dollywood. We have done many things in the area already. I was hoping to get some of your thoughts on things we were looking at.

How is parrot Mountain? is it worth a trip to?

Which of the alpine coasters is the best and are they worth the $15 per rider price tag?

Is the Wax Museum any fun?

We have done Dixie Stampede in the past, we were wondering how the Hatfields and Mccoys dinner show compared.

There is so much to do in the area. We spent our honeymoon there in 2008. We had a cabin up in hills overlooking Dollywood. After breakfast each day, we would go out and explore the area. Major tourist trap! Parrot Mountain was great. So glad we did it! It is so much fun feeding them. Also in one area, had large macaw get on my shoulders and didn't want to get off.

The mountain coasters were not built when we were there. But have heard from friends that they are all fun. If you like caverns, there is Forbidden Caverns in Sevierville. Also a petting zoo there. Feeding the camels was fun. They will eat cup if you're not careful!

Someone mentioned Lumberjack Feud? Amazing show! BUT, just read an article that was put out yesterday. Dolly has apparently been behind the scenes and taking over the company/show, so she now owns it and is redoing the show and building on. The new name is "Dolly Parton's Lumberjack Adventure". The article said it was scheduled to open in May so I'm not sure if they'll close the current shows for renovations or what, but I knew Dolly couldn't keep her fingers off of The Island area for too long. I'm surprised she hasn't already invested in anything over there. I guess Paula Deen put her buttery restaurant there first haha.

The issue is, if the seatbelt is too tight or tightens more during the ride, it feels like it is cutting you in half. Where, if the belt is slightly loose and lets move a little, it doesn't hurt as much. I've had some rides on Magnum where I fought to get the buckle done and it provided a very painful ride. Of course, it doesn't help that I usually ride in the ejector-seat!

Ditto!

Expedition geforce has the same problem.

The lapbar is actually really open and doesn't crush your thights, however the seatbelt really makes sure that you won't leave your seat for more than an inch, and for the ones that've ridden this coaster the negative g's are f***ng crazy . So if the seatbelt on lighting rod really is 'as secure as possible ' than it would prevent you from coming out of your seat.

Nevertheless this is an Alan Schilke designed ride, so do we really have to worry that it's not going to be awesome?

I was thinking of Dollywood's Splash Country and the DreamMore Resort. I saw the Flying Saucer Water Ride on Proslide's website and was curious if they could have one as a way to "ride" down to the water park from the hotel. It would be an impressive visual sight off season too perhaps? It looks awesome in the beginning of the video on the link below. Just thinking out loud lol.

http://www.proslide.com/rides/flyingsaucer/

Dollywood just emailed their new show selections for the year. They're performing, It's a Wonderful Life for their New Christmas Show. This pleases me greatly! Plus Magicians, Animal Stunt Shows, And an African themed Acrobat Show. It didn't mention which shows would be returning, but these all look to be fun crowd pleasers.

Dollywood just emailed their new show selections for the year. They're performing, It's a Wonderful Life for their New Christmas Show. This pleases me greatly! Plus Magicians, Animal Stunt Shows, And an African themed Acrobat Show. It didn't mention which shows would be returning, but these all look to be fun crowd pleasers.

Those shows sound amazing! I sure hope one of them is replacing Dreamland Drive-In...