TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

No it's most certainly not a bad thing. Yes I see where you're coming from. You know, I know they have Rockin Roadway, but I could've seen them adding a new flat with this project. (VERY small flat) Then again that area is very very tight and compact. I mean the start to LR practically touches over into RR's "territory". I think RR could use a bit of a touch up though. Some panels redone, etc.

I'm probably looking at this wrong and I shouldn't even bother asking but does it look to anyone else like there are no supports under the valley between the two first drops? Im sure it's just an illusion with the snow and all but it looks bizarre.

Yeah I don't see any supports either. Interesting. Maybe that gap is just temporary if it is there?

I'm pretty sure that's a service road under that part. I think they are waiting for the quad down to get tracked and then close down the service road then finish the supports for that section. If you look closely, you can see the footers waiting to be installed on the just to the right of the gap.

I'm pretty sure that's a service road under that part. I think they are waiting for the quad down to get tracked and then close down the service road then finish the supports for that section. If you look closely, you can see the footers waiting to be installed on the just to the right of the gap.

Ah that makes sense - that gap looked pretty crazy though - was wondering how the engineers could explain/justify the that one!

It sure looks like they have a lot of work to go before opening in 8 weeks: connect the track between the first two turns; finish building the quad down; track all the way from the far end of the valley through the quad down... and from the instagram pic posted a few days ago, the final brake run isn't built yet... and we haven't seen whether the final turnaround element is built yet... and the installation of the magnets... and all that before testing (and this is basically a prototype).

Fingers crossed but I'm not sure I'd be booking travel for March just yet!

When completed, this coaster will be one of the 5 most aesthetically pleasing attractions in the entire world. The animation did not do the coaster/landscape interactions the justice they deserve. Stunning.

One fear of mine is how drawn out the valley of the first drop is, as well as the wave turn. However, after those giant elements, all those other insane maneuvers appear to be sharp and low to the ground, so the pace and intensity should continue to build throughout the layout. After riding WC and it being eye-to-eye with El Toro as my #1 overall, I have zero doubts about how good Lightning Rod wilk be.

It sure looks like they have a lot of work to go before opening in 8 weeks: connect the track between the first two turns; finish building the quad down; track all the way from the far end of the valley through the quad down... and from the instagram pic posted a few days ago, the final brake run isn't built yet... and we haven't seen whether the final turnaround element is built yet... and the installation of the magnets... and all that before testing (and this is basically a prototype).

Fingers crossed but I'm not sure I'd be booking travel for March just yet!

That quad down to the turn around is really low to the ground. They'll have those bents up in no time. Someone posted a pic of them installing the magnets in the last week. I'd be willing to bet that they have the last piece of track installed in four weeks time and they'll start testing with 2-3 weeks to go. After that, it really depends how RMC decides to test it. B&M did what felt like a million test half-launches on Thunderbird before they finally did a full-launch during testing last year. There is no telling what RMC might do or how the testing will go. I'd still say there is a very good chance Lightning Rod will be completed and open on time.

The LSM's are being installed, the quad down just needs to be tracked, and the break run is almost finished. This coaster is actually almost completed. With the pace they're working it'll be up in no time. They have a crew working in the valley and a crew working in the front. So two cranes are now active to get this thing up and running.

image.thumb.jpeg.40b04053912281ef8faa3ea839bd5cd1.jpeg

image.jpeg.d80fbffbc543b95343a56918fd8d7ea1.jpeg

Edited by Dollywoodlover20

Lightning Rod looks great in the snow!

Wow that is downright beautiful. I was chatting to my cousin yesterday and he mentioned that it snowed and they canceled his work! Apparently, he's going to be moving into a house right by the Dollywood entrance so I'm hoping to stay there!

What looks like the better ride, this or Wildfire? True Lightning Rod wins by default because it's in the US and most of us will get to ride it at some point. But I'm curious, all things being equal, what people think. This ride has the launch and the amazing finale, but Wildfire is longer and has a wider variety of elements.

A few questions:

1) Where should I stay? Where should I stay if I'm on a budget?

When I visited in 2012 we stayed here -

http://www.timberslodgepigeonforge.com/

We had an EXCELLENT time! The price was incredible and the staff was wonderful. They screwed up our reservation and gave away one of our standard rooms before we arrived by accident, so rather than giving us a song and dance they immediately upgraded us to their largest suite completely free. It's also situated right next to a small river that's nice to listen to and across the street from one of the many go-kart places.

2) Is there a FastPass system? Is it worth it?

No idea on this. We visited in November on a Saturday for the first day of Christmas In The Smokies and had no problem with lines, if that's any consolation. The park was quite busy but the crowds were very well spread out. Our longest wait was probably 15 minutes for Wild Eagle.

2) Is there a FastPass system? Is it worth it?

3) How should I do these two days?

Wednesday / Thursday in June. Schools in the area will already be out by the time you go, but it is mid-week, so I would guess that it would be at the very least a reasonable visit, especially considering that you're there two days. You can afford to relax! I wouldn't worry about a battle plan, honestly.

If you are really, really, really, really concerned about crowds, Dollywood's TimeSaver Pass, which is a Lo-Q system, is $25 per person. Though, I'd wait until you get there to determine if you need it. Put however many you're thinking of getting in your trip budget, and if you don't buy them, it's money that you can spend later!

Edited by A.J.

What looks like the better ride, this or Wildfire? True Lightning Rod wins by default because it's in the US and most of us will get to ride it at some point. But I'm curious, all things being equal, what people think. This ride has the launch and the amazing finale, but Wildfire is longer and has a wider variety of elements.

Are you sure that you don't mean to compare LR to Outlaw Run being that the two are more similar coasters (RMC)?

Are you sure that you don't mean to compare LR to Outlaw Run being that the two are more similar coasters (RMC)?

Ummm, Wildfire at Kolmarden is also RMC. I mean, all three of them are pretty similar, IMO, but they each have a unique flavor.

And to put my opinion out there, Outlaw Run is my #1 wood right now (Goliath #5). I plan on riding LR this year, and if it has similar pacing to OR, it will definitely become my #1. I think Wildfire looks insane as well, but as of right now (having not ridden either and having no real POVs), I think that Lightning Rod looks like the best, but that's up for discussion for sure.

1. Lightning Rod

2. Wildfire

3. Outlaw Run

4. Goliath

I honestly believe that Lightning Rod and Wildfire could be the best 2 wood coasters in the world! Add Outlaw Run, El Toro, and T-Express, and you have the craziest 5 wood coasters ever. In my personal opinion of course.

I honestly think LR is my least favorite new RMC. it has to do with the hot rod theme. Whilst it was a great idea, I don't see how a ride through the wooded mountains fit the theme. I wish they would had designed more theming aspects.

Another factor is the launch and drop, which could have been so much better IMO. Imagine an uninterrupted transition from a launch to an amazing drop. The acceleration effect would be such a rush!

Hate me if you want, but it won't change that I think LR had more potential than was granted.

I honestly think LR is my least favorite new RMC. it has to do with the hot rod theme. Whilst it was a great idea, I don't see how a ride through the wooded mountains fit the theme.

I think it is suppose to be something along the lines of simulating hot rods racing around the random back streets in the wooded mountains, which when you think about it, really isn't that insane. I can see how the theme fits.

Another factor is the launch and drop, which could have been so much better IMO. Imagine an uninterrupted transition from a launch to an amazing drop. The acceleration effect would be such a rush!

Sure, this coaster could have had a 120mph launch straight into a crazy ejector filled drop... But keep in mind they needed to keep the coaster mostly family friendly.

I honestly think LR is my least favorite new RMC. it has to do with the hot rod theme. Whilst it was a great idea, I don't see how a ride through the wooded mountains fit the theme. I wish they would had designed more theming aspects.

Hate me if you want, but it won't change that I think LR had more potential than was granted.

Even if you dislike the theme, LR will have far better theming than 3/4 of the RMC's in existence, so I don't see why that should sway your opinion so sharply in the negative direction.

As far as the launch/drop transition goes, I think they added the smaller drop for two reasons...first, it takes some intensity off the experience so it won't overly jarring to the average guest. However, enthusiasts still get a peppy launch, 2 moments of ejector airtime, and a huge/steep drop. Secondly, this coaster navigates a very unique terrain closely, so it's possible the final product was the only realistic way they could incorperate the launched lift and big drop.