TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

That wave turn is so exaggerated it looks like it's about to fall over! Every time RMC builds something, an element or two just look fake or physically wrong (in the best possible way). It's probably going to give the weirdest sideways airtime feeling ever. Thanks to those that are digging up these pictures.

I'm so excited for this that I'll be there the first week of operation. I thought Dollywood would've done weekend only operation at the the beginning of the season, but they're going with daily operation straight away. If anyone who's been to the park during the first weekdays of operation could tell me how crowds are, that would be great. My guess is the spring break crowd might be a little heavy considering Lightning Rod.

I went during the opening of Wild Eagle and it was a bit hectic. For one it was a first of its kind in the USA, so crowds obviously swarmed the park, but they held the crowds from the coaster a bit because something wasn't going right for the first 10-15 mins, until we heard the roar of the B&M track as the train rushed down the hill. Crowds? They didn't get bad really until mid day, and everybody was generally around the coaster. Not everyone is going to wake up and be at Dollywood at 9am for a coaster except for the junkies. Most of your crowd is there for Ms. Parton.

I'm having a hard time predicting what this wave turn is going to feel like. I've been on Outlaw Run, and the wave turn there is maybe the only floaty element on the last half of that ride. I couldn't really feel the pull backwards of the track curving the "wrong" way much, it mostly felt like you're just floating sideways for a bit, but not quite ejected sideways. Lightning Rod's element is obviously much larger, and enters/exits with 90 degree turns. The backwards pull also seems a bit more exaggerated with the size - Could there be airtime caused from this pull (sideways - out of the train from the rider's perspective) that's stronger than Outlaw Run?

If the forces are what I propose, there will be floater laterally with ejector negatively (essentially pulling the rider straight out of the train). If not, it would still be just a giant sideways floater hill (a bigger version of Outlaw Run's) which is still awesome, but not very intense.

That wave turn is friggin' HUGE!!! Holy crap. Being that the ride hugs some unique terrain the views of the first drop and wave turn from different angles are shockingly different. Definitely my most anticipated POV if 2016...really hope I can squeek out the $ necessary to make the trip this year.

I'm having a hard time predicting what this wave turn is going to feel like. I've been on Outlaw Run, and the wave turn there is maybe the only floaty element on the last half of that ride. I couldn't really feel the pull backwards of the track curving the "wrong" way much, it mostly felt like you're just floating sideways for a bit, but not quite ejected sideways. Lightning Rod's element is obviously much larger, and enters/exits with 90 degree turns. The backwards pull also seems a bit more exaggerated with the size - Could there be airtime caused from this pull (sideways - out of the train from the rider's perspective) that's stronger than Outlaw Run?

If the forces are what I propose, there will be floater laterally with ejector negatively (essentially pulling the rider straight out of the train). If not, it would still be just a giant sideways floater hill (a bigger version of Outlaw Run's) which is still awesome, but not very intense.

Agreed, I think we're gonna see a weird combo of forces. From the POV it looks like there is enough speed to give strong floater airtime (sideways to the right side of the train), and the cresting of the wave turn might have enough exaggeration to also push the rider up into their lapbar. Even if this is a slower element it will probably give a really weird falling sideways and getting pulled into nothingness effect. We have the quad down later for the crazy ejector.

Agreed, I think we're gonna see a weird combo of forces. From the POV it looks like there is enough speed to give strong floater airtime (sideways to the right side of the train), and the cresting of the wave turn might have enough exaggeration to also push the rider up into their lapbar. Even if this is a slower element it will probably give a really weird falling sideways and getting pulled into nothingness effect. We have the quad down later for the crazy ejector.

I realize that my post may have sounded negative, and I want to correct that. You're absolutely right that we will not be in short supply of ejector airtime on this coaster! I am just unsure about what this element really is! If it's as you describe, it will be very unique and amazing. It will surely be strange to be completely sideways for that long!

Found another one on Instagram just now. This one was posted from one of the construction workers I'm just guessing being it's taken from the wave turn. Just look at how the coaster just perfectly pops up the hill and then back down to the quad down, which by the way is completed structure wise as well. Just needs to have track put on it. I think the last picture I seen, they were all the way at the non-inverting half loop. There's a picture on there taken from the Dollywood Cabins and you can see the launch hill, wave turn, quad down, and other front area elements.

image.thumb.jpeg.ff641bcc9ff22c14d676af0b9148c9b1.jpeg

I am wondering how fluffy friendly RMC is? for comparison and the closest i could think of is I fit on Lightning Run.

From what I've noticed at SDC with Outlaw Run.... RMC isn't that fluffy friendly. I've seen a lot of people have to take the walk of shame when they didn't look all that fluffy. . . I think a lot of it depends on your build as well. Some people fit while appearing to be more fluffy than others who don't fit simply because of where their fluffyness is located. . . I hope that made sense.

Found another one on Instagram just now. This one was posted from one of the construction workers I'm just guessing being it's taken from the wave turn. Just look at how the coaster just perfectly pops up the hill and then back down to the quad down, which by the way is completed structure wise as well. Just needs to have track put on it. I think the last picture I seen, they were all the way at the non-inverting half loop. There's a picture on there taken from the Dollywood Cabins and you can see the launch hill, wave turn, quad down, and other front area elements.

I guess you could say that's some pretty big morning wood.

I'm sorry, I'll leave now.