TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I think that WHOLE area is about to burst at the seams - interesting that the fountain left and also the planter at the entrance to Craftsman Valley- opening up the flow a bit more. Moving the "Carol of the trees" to TH also looks like a strategic move to "clear the decks" Also looks like they were working on the bridge across the duck pond when we were there a few weeks ago - widening? Removing?

Went to Dollywood yesterday, Sunday December 20, and had a great time as always. Crowds were kind of light when we arrived around noon, but picked up significantly around 5. In fact the entire main parking lot was full.

Temps were cool with daytime highs only making it to about 45, and it was 37 when we left at park close. Crowds were heavy enough to be able to run more trains on the rides, however Firechaser Express only ran 2 trains all day, Mystery Mine only ran 3, and Thunderhead started with 2 trains, but dropped 1 around dark. Was this related to the colder weather? Thunderhead had a full queue after the train was dropped, and the other 2 rides kept 45 plus minute waits all day.

On a side note, we did the drive through Christmas lights at I-40 at exit 407 (The Parkway). Great syncronized light show that's worth a stop!

Had my first DW experience yesterday and just can not say enough good things about the place. My wife and I had an amazing time. Beautiful lights, rides are amazing, great food. Might be my favorite park I've visted besides Universal. Wild Eagle is a gem, my favorite of the three Wings I've ridden. We can't wait to com3 back to this unique place.

^ Glad to hear you had a fun time on your first visit, Chiristmas at Dollywood is always special. You should plan your next visit during the warmer months as to be able to hit up the water rides and get a completely different ( yet just as wonderful experience ) festivity wise. Oh, and don't forget, Lighting Rod will be broke in real nice by then!

It's going to be in the low 70s tomorrow during the day and upper 50s when the sun goes down. It looks like some storms might roll in at night, but all in all with the warm weather and outlook for a nice day tomorrow, it will likely be packed. It would be in your best interest to get there early and get a Q2Q. It is not only good for the rides, but the shows as well. And yes, the lights are up until the close of the season.

Have fun!

Yes, buzz is getting some refurbishment. I remember when he used to actually talk and interact with the kids. Then slowly just repeated phrases about the mine, then the audio quit one day I was at the park and was making a weird noise.

Anyway, I checked Instagram for any new pictures posted from employees of the construction site. While I didn't find any, I did find this. I'm assuming this is the hot rod that will sit outside of the station. I would assume they already have the other one inside of the que house/station being its nearly complete (exterior).

image.thumb.jpeg.b3ce3881f23927a97d7bced0c3ad4605.jpeg

These are some of the longest I have seen this year. Wow.

I just got home from there a little while ago. Those times are way off, most coasters were well over an hour all day. They extened closing to 10:00 instead of 9:00. Firechaser's line was most likely never shorter than 2 hours (that's a low estimate) as we had to wait around 40min with a time saver. Overall it was not a very pleasant day at the park, which is no big deal for my family because we go so often. But it makes me feel sorry for people that it may be their one and only visit. A day like today could actually prevent visitors from ever wanting to go back. While i'm glad to see crowds for the business reasons, Dollywood really needs to excel in their operations to be able to handle these large crowds. Waiting about an hour for a hot dog is just insanity, and around an hour and a half for a time saver really seems to defeat the purpose.

^This is a huge concern of mine as well. It's been a very warm Fall/Winter this year and the park didn't seem prepared for it. It's usually much colder and the crowds generally gravitate toward the shows and inside attractions. I think the park, as far as ride operations are concerned, is more used to kinda a pre shutting down for the winter. So they might start their early off season prep by limiting operations. Like single trains on several rides to get a head start on maintenence, less staff in certain areas like food prep, etc.

It worries me that all those people aren't getting a good Dollywood experience and may be inclined to not return because of the chaos they went through.

We go several times a year so we know how the park usually is, but when we were there at the beginning of the month, the place was a zoo. I had never experienced the claustrophobic feel of just having to go with the flow of traffic because the midways were so packed. If that had been my only Dwood experience, I would not want to go back any time soon.

The opening of the resort has obviously paid off (literally) with bringing the huge crowds this year. As was mentioned, this has been a crazy, warm winter and the park was already not going to be at full-capacity with the water rides closed and other scheduled refurbishments. It be hard to prepare differently next year, winters here are so unpredictable but chances are extremely high it wont be this warm next year.

^^^Resort hotels are truly the big industry trend right now. Parks are realizing what Disney and Universal have known and seen success from for years, that onsite guests generate more revenue than offsite guests and are more likely to spend more than one day at the park as a result. I'm glad the resort has done so well for Dollywood--I'd imagine I will stay there myself during my next visit.

As for Lightning Rod, I keep forgetting this coaster is being built... That sounds sad, but it is a testament to how many other great things the park has that come to mind first when I think about Dollywood. I'm sure this will be a fantastic addition to the park, but as long as the cinnamon bread is still being made and the skillets are still being served, I'll keep Dollywood high on my list of parks to revisit in the near future.