TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^ You can't get ejector airtime (-1g) without upstop wheels, because at most your car will follow a zero-g curve.

Did you just attempt to define a subjective and very personal sensation with an objective number? I bet you anything I could design a curve that gives more than -1G and you would call it "floater" and not "ejector" airtime. I could also design a curve that barely gives more than 0G and it would be called "ejector" by those same standards. Jerk*

Also, the pitch of the vehicle as it descends will have an effect on the force felt by the rider. While you would be hard pressed to get as much as -1G in an automobile, it is not completely impossible to give the riders a negative force.

Jerk: The rate of change in acceleration over a period of time.

^In theory you cannot have less than 0 g without upstop wheels unless the trains have the aerodynamics of a sports car (which make the air flow press it against the road)

Also, it is a relatively subjective thing but I doubt we would ever call -1G floater air (while the sensation of ejector air can be achieved with less)

Although people subjectively use the terms "Floater" and "Ejector" when describing their own experiences, I find that the two distinctions of airtime are objective: Floater is 0-1 g's and Ejector is anywhere less than 0 g's. You may be able to go from 1 to 0 g's very quickly with a nice pop (Like Thunderhead and many GCI's do), but it is still floater airtime.

If the passenger is wearing a seat belt, they cannot experience less than 0 g's without the whole car being off the ground. That's the theory of relativity, my friend.

Although people subjectively use the terms "Floater" and "Ejector" when describing their own experiences, I find that the two distinctions of airtime are objective: Floater is 0-1 g's and Ejector is anywhere less than 0 g's. You may be able to go from 1 to 0 g's very quickly with a nice pop (Like Thunderhead and many GCI's do), but it is still floater airtime.

If the passenger is wearing a seat belt, they cannot experience less than 0 g's without the whole car being off the ground. That's the theory of relativity, my friend.

Actually, our bodies measure weight as the normal force (or force exerted by surface on which you stand/sit on your body) At 0G, there isn't actually zero gravity, but it feels that way because the normal force of your seat pushing on your butt is equal to 0. That's why a pure freefall feels "weightless". If you're wearing a seatbelt, you can most definitely feel negative G forces, you're essentially falling upwards. The only thing is that you'll feel pressure on your thighs from the seatbelt (normal force of the seatbelt) as if you were being hung upside down and being held by said seatbelt.

Actually, our bodies measure weight as the normal force (or force exerted by surface on which you stand/sit on your body) At 0G, there isn't actually zero gravity, but it feels that way because the normal force of your seat pushing on your butt is equal to 0. That's why a pure freefall feels "weightless". If you're wearing a seatbelt, you can most definitely feel negative G forces, you're essentially falling upwards. The only thing is that you'll feel pressure on your thighs from the seatbelt (normal force of the seatbelt) as if you were being hung upside down and being held by said seatbelt.

Obviously I know how airtime works, but I'm talking about this specific example here. You can't feel negative forces (Only 0 and above) in a automobile cresting a hill, that was my whole point. The car needs to be forced downward for your body to be pulled up to feel ejector airtime, and the car cannot be forced downward without being physically attached to the road (under normal circumstances). It is impossible to have negative forces (Ejector airtime) in a normal automobile.

Edited by chickenbowl

The center of mass of the vehicle will not have less than 0G without aerodynamic help, but the passengers in the vehicle can have a different sensation based on their seating position and the pitch of the vehicle.

Oh yeah, this is definitely a good point, haven't thought of that.

Obviously, but I'm talking about this specific example here. You can't feel negative forces (Only 0 and above) in a automobile cresting a hill, that was my whole point. The car needs to be forced downward for your body to be pulled up to feel ejector airtime, and the car cannot be forced downward without being physically attached to the road.

Ah, then I must have misinterpreted your original post about the seatbelt. I thought you were referring to a coaster with seatbelts not being able to achieve ejector and was pretty befuddled

Obviously I know how airtime works, but I'm talking about this specific example here. You can't feel negative forces (Only 0 and above) in a automobile cresting a hill, that was my whole point. The car needs to be forced downward for your body to be pulled up to feel ejector airtime, and the car cannot be forced downward without being physically attached to the road (under normal circumstances). It is impossible to have negative forces (Ejector airtime) in a normal automobile.

If the vehicle rotates forward about the center of mass faster than gravity pulls the vehicle downward, and you are seated in front of the center of mass, you will most certainly be "pulled" downward by negative force.

If the vehicle rotates forward about the center of mass faster than gravity pulls the vehicle downward, and you are seated in front of the center of mass, you will most certainly be "pulled" downward by negative force.

Sure, hypothetically. But this is an extremely specific example (the truck is travelling the speed in which to perfectly crest a parabolic hill where the truck is experiencing little-to-no positive forces). Also, you are assuming the driver is somewhere in front of the center of mass (Which he is not unless he is simultaneously carrying a load in his truck bed). But even if all of these ridiculous assumptions worked in your favor, I would claim that any additional rotation around the COM is negligible.

This was fun! Yay Intermediate Dynamics!

Although people subjectively use the terms "Floater" and "Ejector" when describing their own experiences, I find that the two distinctions of airtime are objective: Floater is 0-1 g's and Ejector is anywhere less than 0 g's.

Well, they are definitely not objective as I'd never call anything more positive than 0G airtime. For me airtime is actually strictly less than 0 G with 0G being weightlessness. For me floater is between 0 and -0,7/-1 Gs and ejector is anything beyond that. Doesn't the expression airtime come from lifting off your seat? That can only happen with 0G or less, right?

Well, anyway, it doesn't really matter, does it?

Sure, hypothetically. But this is an extremely specific example (the truck is travelling the speed in which to perfectly crest a parabolic hill where the truck is experiencing little-to-no positive forces). Also, you are assuming the driver is somewhere in front of the center of mass (Which he is not unless he is simultaneously carrying a load in his truck bed). But even if all of these ridiculous assumptions worked in your favor, I would claim that any additional rotation around the COM is negligible.

I was assuming the vehicle was airborn, Dukes of Hazzard style. This way the road surface plays no factor.

I was assuming the vehicle was airborn, Dukes of Hazzard style. This way the road surface plays no factor.

Ohh, haha. I thought we were basing it off of Dollywoodlover20's story of getting ejector airtime over a road! I'm assuming he wasn't actually airborne.

Although people subjectively use the terms "Floater" and "Ejector" when describing their own experiences, I find that the two distinctions of airtime are objective: Floater is 0-1 g's and Ejector is anywhere less than 0 g's.

Well, they are definitely not objective as I'd never call anything more positive than 0G airtime. For me airtime is actually strictly less than 0 G with 0G being weightlessness. For me floater is between 0 and -0,7/-1 Gs and ejector is anything beyond that. Doesn't the expression airtime come from lifting off your seat? That can only happen with 0G or less, right?

Well, anyway, it doesn't really matter, does it?

I agree it's subjective but I find your statement rather strange. Strictly? Your body isn't an accelerometer, there's no way given a brief moment of negative force you can distinguish exactly what 0 gs feels like. Your inner ear is very sensitive, you'll start to feel that "tickly" feeling in your stomach way before you reach 0 gs (ever driven over a nice dip in the road at high speeds?), and I'm pretty sure most people would describe any sensation where your body feels lighter as "airtime".

But I do agree that whether airtime feels like "ejector" can depend on a lot of psychological things other than sheer amount of force. For instance, a page or two back someone was trying to describe what you feel going over the crest of Skyrush's lift hill in the back seat as "ejector airtime". Maybe at 200 ft in the air it feels that way, but there's no way you reach anywhere near -1 gs until after the crest, when you hit the "kink" in the drop.

I was at DW yesterday. The walls have been moved. They extend from the entrance of Rockin' Roadway to Red's, and from the entrance of the Pines Theater to the fence in front of it. Red's was inaccessible, therefore closed. It looked like they might be adding some covered seating beside Red's, as well. You cannot walk through Jukebox Junction - if you want to get from one side to the other, you have to cross through Showstreet/Rivertown. Can't wait to see the entrance plaza once it opens!