TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Jesus H Christ, I am ONLY talking about the two hills immediately following the launch. That's it. I'm sure the ride will deliver plenty of ejector airtime but I do not see how it's possible any of that airtime could come right before a 165 ft drop at a 73° angle. Physics, people.

Have you ever been on Powderkeg??? It has airtime at the top of a hill... before a drop. I mean MOST launched coasters have airtime at the top of their first hills. During a drop is not the only time a roller coaster provides airtime. I would not at all be surprised for there to be airtime at the top of the hills. It's called physics.

Jesus H Christ, I am ONLY talking about the two hills immediately following the launch. That's it. I'm sure the ride will deliver plenty of ejector airtime but I do not see how it's possible any of that airtime could come right before a 165 ft drop at a 73° angle. Physics, people.

Have you ever been on Powderkeg??? It has airtime at the top of a hill... before a drop. I mean MOST launched coasters have airtime at the top of their first hills. During a drop is not the only time a roller coaster provides airtime. I would not at all be surprised for there to be airtime at the top of the hills. It's called physics.

I don't think you understand how tall 165 feet is, how steep 73° is, or how fast you'd have to be going to get ejector over those hills. Regardless, like I said we're going to have to wait and see. I don't think it's worth getting so defensive over.

Wow

it doesn't look like either are going to give much more than a very light floater sensation

If you're trying to have a fight over the difference between "light floater" and "strong floater" please go have a cup of warm herbal tea or something.

Saying "Physics, people" doesn't prove your point at all. As an AP Physics student, I'm truly failing to see how you're coming to such a conclusion. It will probably be traveling around 30mph near the crest of the first hill and judging from the pictures we've seen thus far and the POV the parabolic curves of those hills are pretty darn tight to be taken at any high speed. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just giving my opinion/viewpoint. Regardless, LR will be a fantastic coaster.

Saying "Physics, people" doesn't prove your point at all. As an AP Physics student, I'm truly failing to see how you're coming to such a conclusion. It will probably be traveling around 30mph near the crest of the first hill and judging from the pictures we've seen thus far and the POV the parabolic curves of those hills are pretty darn tight to be taken at any high speed. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just giving my opinion/viewpoint. Regardless, LR will be a fantastic coaster.

Your mother. Physics, people.

30 mph is seriously not very fast. If you want to see what ejector looks like at around 30 mph check out the tiny, tiny hills at the end of Lightning Run.

...30 mph is seriously not very fast...

That depends on your definition of "fast." 30 mph is faster than the speed limit on most city roads. If you were doing 30 mph in most cities, you would get pulled over for "going to fast." ... So 30 mph can be fast. I don't think anyone on here will argue that going 30 mph at the top of a 165ft drop is "not very fast." Would you rather crest the hill at 5 mph?? Because then you really would not get any air time at all.

This is a really stupid conversation to have before anyone's ever ridden it, but I think there's a very good chance it will be sustained ejector down the main drop and a pop of ejector after the launch. Airtime has very little to do with actual velocity and everything to with velocity in terms of the drop's radius--aka radial acceleration.

El Toro crests it's ejector hills around 30-35 mph and has a wider radius than Lightning Run's two initial hills (from comparison). Saying this ride will go "too slowly" over those hills to have ejector is seriously misinformed. The back seat of El Toro crests the drop no more than 25 mph and that has a wider radius than this ride's drop out of the launch (t has to flatten or and drop while El Toro only has to drop).

Tl;dr: wait and see.

This is a really stupid conversation to have before anyone's ever ridden it, but I think there's a very good chance it will be sustained ejector down the main drop and a pop of ejector after the launch. Airtime has very little to do with actual velocity and everything to with velocity in terms of the drop's radius--aka radial acceleration.

El Toro crests it's ejector hills around 30-35 mph and has a wider radius than Lightning Run's two initial hills (from comparison). Saying this ride will go "too slowly" over those hills to have ejector is seriously misinformed. The back seat of El Toro crests the drop no more than 25 mph and that has a wider radius than this ride's drop out of the launch (t has to flatten or and drop while El Toro only has to drop).

I don't think it's a stupid conversation, I think it's a very interesting one, I just don't know why people have to get so worked up about it. I see your point about Toro's hills, and the shaping of Lightning Rod's second hill does look similar, however you'll also notice that the downward slope of Toro's hills aren't anywhere near as steep as LR's first drop. So basically it sounds to me like we're describing a hill that starts out as extreme as Toro's ejector hills, and then gets MORE extreme from there. And that I just don't think is possible. Slopes as steep as 73° are always approached rather slowly to keep the forces from getting too extreme at the back of the train.

I don't think it's a stupid conversation, I think it's a very interesting one, I just don't know why people have to get so worked up about it. I see your point about Toro's hills, and the shaping of Lightning Rod's second hill does look similar, however you'll also notice that the downward slope of Toro's hills aren't anywhere near as steep as LR's first drop. So basically it sounds to me like we're describing a hill that starts out as extreme as Toro's ejector hills, and then gets MORE extreme from there. And that I just don't think is possible. Slopes as steep as 73° are always approached rather slowly to keep the forces from getting too extreme at the back of the train.

Just to add my .02, Millennium Force hauls over that main drop and it is 80 degrees. It has a lot to do with drop radius.

I don't think Lightning Run's main drop will be much different from Outlaw Run's even though it will likely be taken at a greater speed. I do think it's safe to say that near the back of the train there will be ejector air, but I don't think the air will be so strong near the front or middle of the train like on El Toro's many ejector hills.

This thread is getting fun to read. Can't we just all say that it's going to be pretty freaking great and be done with it?

I mean, honestly, it's not going to be my number one coaster by any standard, so I have no emotional attachment...

Edited by A.J.

I mean, honestly, it's not going to be my number one coaster by any standard, so I have no emotional attachment...

How can you be so sure it won't? What would it need to make it your number one?

Just to add my .02, Millennium Force hauls over that main drop and it is 80 degrees. It has a lot to do with drop radius.

Great point, same can be said for I305 and Skyrush. Both of which travel over the crest of the drop very fast (Like LR will). Skyrush has ejector airtime over the crest and then extreme ejector on the steepest part of the drop. Why is it impossible for LR to have this when it's literally launching up the hill?

A lot of people are disappointed this coaster doesn't have an inversion. I would actually love one on it, but I'm content we finally have an RMC and the JJ is actually get some love after looking the TWD after 5-10 years. As far as speed/airtime. I live in the mountains right? I've done two types of tests (the only kind I can do with what I have). I took my fourwheeler with my cousin on the back yesterday and I found a hill that was near the angle of LR's launch. I at first went up it at an increasing 45mph. Once I reached the top we came off the ground and got "ejector" air. My cousin just got a bit more. We tried it again with me still going at 45 ten decelerating to 35. Got the same result but not as powerful. I then tried it in my truck with the hill up to my house. Of course I burned rubber at the bottom so I had to start over. The truck gave a more realistic feel to LR and once you got to the top of my hill, you go over this dip (which needs to be fixed). Anyway that at 35 gave a slight pop out of my seat.

A lot of people are disappointed this coaster doesn't have an inversion. I would actually love one on it, but I'm content we finally have an RMC and the JJ is actually get some love after looking the TWD after 5-10 years. As far as speed/airtime. I live in the mountains right? I've done two types of tests (the only kind I can do with what I have). I took my fourwheeler with my cousin on the back yesterday and I found a hill that was near the angle of LR's launch. I at first went up it at an increasing 45mph. Once I reached the top we came off the ground and got "ejector" air. My cousin just got a bit more. We tried it again with me still going at 45 ten decelerating to 35. Got the same result but not as powerful. I then tried it in my truck with the hill up to my house. Of course I burned rubber at the bottom so I had to start over. The truck gave a more realistic feel to LR and once you got to the top of my hill, you go over this dip (which needs to be fixed). Anyway that at 35 gave a slight pop out of my seat.

Oh my! Where to begin? Im either picturing Ricky and the guys from Trailer Park Boys or maybe the offspring of the cast of Hillbilly Hand Fishing.

As far as speed/airtime. I live in the mountains right? I've done two types of tests (the only kind I can do with what I have). I took my fourwheeler with my cousin on the back yesterday and I found a hill that was near the angle of LR's launch. I at first went up it at an increasing 45mph. Once I reached the top we came off the ground and got "ejector" air. My cousin just got a bit more. We tried it again with me still going at 45 ten decelerating to 35. Got the same result but not as powerful. I then tried it in my truck with the hill up to my house. Of course I burned rubber at the bottom so I had to start over. The truck gave a more realistic feel to LR and once you got to the top of my hill, you go over this dip (which needs to be fixed). Anyway that at 35 gave a slight pop out of my seat.

Well, this settles it for me. I hope we can all move on now.

As far as speed/airtime. I live in the mountains right? I've done two types of tests (the only kind I can do with what I have). I took my fourwheeler with my cousin on the back yesterday and I found a hill that was near the angle of LR's launch. I at first went up it at an increasing 45mph. Once I reached the top we came off the ground and got "ejector" air. My cousin just got a bit more. We tried it again with me still going at 45 ten decelerating to 35. Got the same result but not as powerful. I then tried it in my truck with the hill up to my house. Of course I burned rubber at the bottom so I had to start over. The truck gave a more realistic feel to LR and once you got to the top of my hill, you go over this dip (which needs to be fixed). Anyway that at 35 gave a slight pop out of my seat.

Well, this settles it for me. I hope we can all move on now.

Truce!

Well I just got half the south laughed at and made a fool of myself, anyway.... Moving on.

I thought your post was incredibly entertaining and fun! If I didn't live in a flat area and had a four wheeler with a hill, I'd do the same thing!