TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Down in Pigeon Forge at the moment, it's a soggy/rainy day. We were contemplating on either going on this wet day or just waiting a couple months. Being we have so much Christmas shopping to do we decided to pop in the employee lot and just check out the coaster again. Footers are all the way up the hill to and have been partially started down the quad down hill. From what I could tell no more structure nor track had gone up from what had been posted. Well maybe the highest peak to the wave turn. The station on the other hand is getting done very quickly. The "brick" from what I could see was all the way on the front and looked extremely nice! The catwalks were also being started on the launch.

image.thumb.jpeg.029bdcc4ed80ad08d716e165556c26aa.jpeg

This one was taken at a weird angle, but the footers are peaking out at the bottom.

image.thumb.jpeg.f57f96920fe38c868c143b615660afd5.jpeg

The structure at the top has been confirmed to be for the bees

Well that's depressing. I was hoping for something a little more than that. With that being said, maybe Dollywood will come up with a way to theme it, and make it unique?

The different shaping on the first hill vs the second hill is very interesting, or maybe it's just me.

First hill looks like it's more triangular and will give a very abrupt pop like on Magnum

Second Hill looks like it will deliver very sustained ejector/floater air like on el toro.

I can't wait to experience this combo!

The different shaping on the first hill vs the second hill is very interesting, or maybe it's just me.

First hill looks like it's more triangular and will give a very abrupt pop like on Magnum

Second Hill looks like it will deliver very sustained ejector/floater air like on el toro.

Judging by the POV, regardless of the shaping it doesn't look like either are going to give much more than a very light floater sensation, at least at the crests. The first drop itself in the backseat is going to be nuts.

Judging by the POV, regardless of the shaping it doesn't look like either are going to give much more than a very light floater sensation, at least at the crests. The first drop itself in the backseat is going to be nuts.

I highly disagree, I think both will be ejector judging by the POV.

I highly disagree, I think both will be ejector judging by the POV.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but let's think about this for a second. El Toro's first drop reaches a maximum angle of 76°. You coast into it slowly, and by the time you're halfway down you're going so fast the back seat is experiencing extremely strong ejector airtime. Famously strong. Lightning Rod reaches a max angle of 73°. If you were to go flying over those hills at the top at enough speed to give ejector airtime, then by the time you're halfway down the first big drop, the people in the back row would practically need those suits fighter pilots wear just to survive.

Edited by neil009

Have you ever been on an RMC coaster??? I'm just curious, because I have been on a lot of RMC coasters, and they never provide only a "very light floater sensation." I doubt this will be any different.

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

Did you watch the same POV as the rest of us?

To defend the guy, the wave turn is quite tall after a very drawn out first drop valley. Even in the POV it looks a tad sluggish by RMC standards. I expect it to give strong floater/light ejector. Definitely not El Toro strength.

Now, Lightning Rod's other hills are a completely different stories...

Edit - DoinItForTheFame fixed his sentences before I got the quote in.

You doubt this will be any different than the RMC's that you've never been on?

That's a shame. Twisted Colossus is the only RMC I've ridden, and that ride's bonkers. This looks way better.

Edited by Mossed

Jesus H Christ, I am ONLY talking about the two hills immediately following the launch. That's it. I'm sure the ride will deliver plenty of ejector airtime but I do not see how it's possible any of that airtime could come right before a 165 ft drop at a 73° angle. Physics, people.