TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Pov looks great! BTW is Dollywood always open the night of Thanksgiving? I just noticed they are this year.. Might stop by before black Friday shopping up in the area!! Lol

Nope...they started this year because of the DreamMore Resort...and uh, Dollywood employees are not happy about it.

Pov looks great! BTW is Dollywood always open the night of Thanksgiving? I just noticed they are this year.. Might stop by before black Friday shopping up in the area!! Lol

Nope...they started this year because of the DreamMore Resort...and uh, Dollywood employees are not happy about it.

I have to admit I would expect better from Dollywood. They really shouldn't be open on Thanksgiving.

I have to admit I would expect better from Dollywood. They really shouldn't be open on Thanksgiving.

Working in the entertainment industry most holidays aren't a reason to close. Sadly I will also be working on Thanksgiving at Kalahari.

Working in the entertainment industry most holidays aren't a reason to close. Sadly I will also be working on Thanksgiving at Kalahari.

Fair enough, but it seems to go against the "family value" heavy image they love to portray. It's a huge marketing angle for them. I'm actually pretty surprised by this move.

Yeah, at least Dollywood won't open until 4.. I know most parks that are open on days like Thanksgiving would open normal hours. When I worked retail I hated working Thanksgiving so I can feel the pain

Yeah, at least Dollywood won't open until 4.. I know most parks that are open on days like Thanksgiving would open normal hours. When I worked retail I hated working Thanksgiving so I can feel the pain

SDC is open 4-10 this year, and they did the same last year too.

More of a fast lift hill.

Just gonna leave that here.

Yeah, this ride looks super amazing and all, but count me among those still waiting for a TRUE launched woodie. Also this answers the question of how they'll slow it down at the top, you can see the magnets end quite a bit down from the crest. No trims needed, most likely.

That 360 POV though... I am losing my MIND over that. That is SO FREAKING COOL. I love technology.

Also, is anyone else starting to recognize the stock screams that make it into a bunch of these computer-generated roller coaster POVS?

so Dollywood is on our potential list of 2016 parks. We're NOT Country Music fans, but we do enjoy the occasional Dolly Parton song, so we figure we'd be interested in at least some of the shows.

and the park LOOKS phenomenal.

we don't do waterparks, but would spend likely two days at Dollywood.

is there anything else to do in that area? (either Culture, or tourist, or other parks?).

so Dollywood is on our potential list of 2016 parks. We're NOT Country Music fans, but we do enjoy the occasional Dolly Parton song, so we figure we'd be interested in at least some of the shows.

is there anything else to do in that area? (either Culture, or tourist, or other parks?).

East Tennessee is one of the most recreationally diverse areas in the US... What else interests you?

There is pretty standard "tourist trap" fare all throughout Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville... For anything outdoors related (fishing, boating, camping, hiking/biking, ect.) you have Smoky Mtn. National Park and the TVA Resivoirs within an hour's drive.... There is a good bit of historical Americana stuff around as well...

The list goes on and on... Odds are there is something in the area that will peak your interest

East Tennessee is one of the most recreationally diverse areas in the US... What else interests you?

There is pretty standard "tourist trap" fare all throughout Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville... For anything outdoors related (fishing, boating, camping, hiking/biking, ect.) you have Smoky Mtn. National Park and the TVA Resivoirs within an hour's drive.... There is a good bit of historical Americana stuff around as well...

The list goes on and on... Odds are there is something in the area that will peak your interest

Don't forget about the alpine coasters! The Smokey Mountain Alpine Coaster and The Coaster at Goats on the Roof are two that should not be missed. I recommend night rides on them. Best thing ever. Oh, and one more thing, DON'T TOUCH THE BRAKES! Especially on The Coaster at Goats on the Roof. The turns and helices are absolutely insane if you don't touch the brakes. But if going fast on them isn't your thing, do whatever floats your boat. I believe there are two other ones now in the general area, correct me if i'm wrong. Just a suggestion of course. As the person above me stated, there is TONS of other things to do in the area. It's impossible to go on a trip down there and NOT have a good time. Best of luck to you!

Hey guys, sorry I'm late but I wanted to give a huge thanks to those who answered my questions about my possible trip to Dollywood in 2016!!! I got a lot of very helpful info that gives me a much better picture of what to expect. I'm leaning a little towards my first CP trip since 2003 instead, since it would be my girlfriend's first time and is a little more substance for such a long drive, but Lightning Rod is making it a very difficult decision. After riding WC this year, which became tied with El Toro as my #1 overall, I can just feel through the POV how insane and epic this ride will be. Going to be a great launch, insane first drop, utilizes the terrain terrifically, great diversity of elements, and as much ejector as any enthusiast could ask for!!#

Don't forget about the alpine coasters! The Smokey Mountain Alpine Coaster and The Coaster at Goats on the Roof are two that should not be missed. I recommend night rides on them. Best thing ever. Oh, and one more thing, DON'T TOUCH THE BRAKES! Especially on The Coaster at Goats on the Roof. The turns and helices are absolutely insane if you don't touch the brakes. But if going fast on them isn't your thing, do whatever floats your boat. I believe there are two other ones now in the general area, correct me if i'm wrong. Just a suggestion of course. As the person above me stated, there is TONS of other things to do in the area. It's impossible to go on a trip down there and NOT have a good time. Best of luck to you!

anything culture wise? museums or historic sites?

(tho we love tourist traps too).

if we do go, we'll end up at the DreamWishes (i think that's what it's called) . the resort that is attached to the park, so we can enjoy the perks