TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

RMC posted thos on their Facebook

P.S. Finally a POV coming soon! I have a feeling Alan Schilke made a change to the design, no reason why.

Other people have thought this as well. I mean some things may be possible and may be revealed at IAAPA on the 17th, I'm not sure what much they would change. They will keep the quad down, wave turns, only thing I'm thinking they would change is the stuff in the back of the coaster if they change anything at all.

^Looks familiar

Take a few seconds and look over the last few pages of the thread before posting. Common courtesy.

I honestly saw that post and thought it was a different picture when i saw it on Facebook. I guess I missed the supports for the overbanked turn the first time lol

My apologies

So guys, due to the amazing-looking Lightning Rod, I am thinking about planning a trip to Dollywood in 2016. I have some questions that I would greatly appreciate being helped out with...

-Coming from Newark Airport in Nj, what would be the closest airport to fly into?

-What are the benefits to staying at Dreammore resort (discounts/proximity/etc...)? For someone on a relatively tight budget, is it still a worthy investment? If not, are there any good hotels within 5-10 miles from the park that you guys strongly reccomend?

-What parks are comparable to Dollywood in terms of size and amount of attractions to see and do? Some points of reference that I have been to...SFGAdv, CpP, SFNE, Dorney, KD, Hershey.

-Knowing Lightning Rod is still a question mark, what are crowds and lines usually like in April and early-mid May? How were the lines for Thunderhead and Wild Eagle during their inaugeral seasons?

-Considering the early spring crowds, will Dollywood require 2 or 3 days to fully experience, including multiple laps on each major coaster?

-Are there any parks within an hour that are definitely worth hitting up?

-Overall, is a first-time visit to Dollywood worth the extra expenses to visit than 2 mini-trips to already-visoted closer parks like SFNE, or a trip to a once-visited park like CP? I know this is subjective, but I'd like to hear people's thoughts.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!!!

My first tip, especially since you said you're on a tight budget, is to drive. You're only a little over ten hours away. By comparison, by the time you drive to the airport, arrive early for your flight, board the plane, wait for it to actually take off, get to the airport, wait for luggage, rent a car, and then drive 90 minutes, you're probably only saving 4-5 hours best case scenario. Save that money and rent a cabin. Our cabin experience with the surrounding area was actually way more fun than Dollywood itself. Not only that, but just looking at a quick view of google maps, the route you'd take to get to DW would be really scenic.

That being said, you don't need any more than two days tops at this park. We did it all in one day, and left for a large portion of the day.

Enjoy other possibilities while in the area:

Gatlinburg has free moon shine tasting. Yes... they pretty much get you drunk for the price of leaving a tip. Not only that, but the strip is cool to walk through. If tourist traps are your thing (no thanks), Pigeon Forge also has a ton of nerdy things to do. There are also a lot of white water rafting outfitters in the area that can get you on the river and back in your car withing two hours total. Pretty cool, hassle free, and well worth it.

I suggest a day and a half at the park. It was a lot smaller than what we thought it would be. You can use your one day pass the night before as a 'park preview' or whatever they call it. Then use your pass the next day and you'll be set. Take another day or two to explore the surrounding area. Stay a few nights in a cabin. I'm sure Dream More is great for what it is, but I really do mean it when I say the cabins with the views are amazing. You can use that extra cash from not flying to pay it.

My first tip, especially since you said you're on a tight budget, is to drive. You're only a little over ten hours away. By comparison, by the time you drive to the airport, arrive early for your flight, board the plane, wait for it to actually take off, get to the airport, wait for luggage, rent a car, and then drive 90 minutes, you're probably only saving 4-5 hours best case scenario. Save that money and rent a cabin. Our cabin experience with the surrounding area was actually way more fun than Dollywood itself. Not only that, but just looking at a quick view of google maps, the route you'd take to get to DW would be really scenic.

You're really overstating the comparative hassle and fatigue-factor of a two-hour flight, and understating the hassle and fatigue-factor of driving 10+ hours out of and back to the NYC area. The toll of twenty hours of driving those particular highways is much more significant than the itinerary involved in flying. I live in the Northeast & my family is scattered throughout the South, so I've driven these routes. Unless you want a driving experience and would like to see the mountains, I say fly, save your energy, and go into Dollywood fresh.

Anyone know what's going on with the small construction area to the left of Red's Diner?

close to Red's? Could be a new outdoor seating area for people eating there.

Ya, it's directly beside it. There were some roof frames behind the fence. Could be just a covered patio for more tables, Red's will most likely be busy next year.

You're really overstating the comparative hassle and fatigue-factor of a two-hour flight, and understating the hassle and fatigue-factor of driving 10+ hours out of and back to the NYC area.

Yeah, that's your opinion. I take 5-6 road trips a year. I know perfectly well what's involved in a 10 hour drive, even to and from the NYC area. I compare a 10 hour drive to my 12 hour shift at work and the drive is much easier. He's 25 years old. He'll be fine.

^ I agree I am laying down in my cabin right now and drove down here I live in upstate New York and make the drive down to Pigeon Forge every November, it is quite a haul but not unreasonable. I make it being the only driver,in a car without cruise control. Just take your time and make a few short stop, it really has become part of the experience now for my wife and I. We chat, listen to music and just generally have a great time. Once you arrive in pigeon forge you will forget how much you just drove. Can't wait to go to the park again tomorrow!

You're really overstating the comparative hassle and fatigue-factor of a two-hour flight, and understating the hassle and fatigue-factor of driving 10+ hours out of and back to the NYC area.

Yeah, that's your opinion. I take 5-6 road trips a year. I know perfectly well what's involved in a 10 hour drive, even to and from the NYC area. I compare a 10 hour drive to my 12 hour shift at work and the drive is much easier. He's 25 years old. He'll be fine.

This...

We drive to Dollywood from about an hour North of NYC every year. We usually leave from work on a Friday... get a hotel, get a good nights sleep of 7 hours or so and then get to the park by the time they open the next day. It's no big deal at all. I love driving, we only fly when we have to because it's such a massive pain in the ass.

I don't mind making the drive at all either, but I will admit that the 320-or-so mile leg of Interstate 81 down the western border of Virginia is exceptionally boring.

So guys, due to the amazing-looking Lightning Rod, I am thinking about planning a trip to Dollywood in 2016. I have some questions that I would greatly appreciate being helped out with...

-Coming from Newark Airport in Nj, what would be the closest airport to fly into?

-What are the benefits to staying at Dreammore resort (discounts/proximity/etc...)? For someone on a relatively tight budget, is it still a worthy investment? If not, are there any good hotels within 5-10 miles from the park that you guys strongly reccomend?

-What parks are comparable to Dollywood in terms of size and amount of attractions to see and do? Some points of reference that I have been to...SFGAdv, CpP, SFNE, Dorney, KD, Hershey.

-Knowing Lightning Rod is still a question mark, what are crowds and lines usually like in April and early-mid May? How were the lines for Thunderhead and Wild Eagle during their inaugeral seasons?

-Considering the early spring crowds, will Dollywood require 2 or 3 days to fully experience, including multiple laps on each major coaster?

-Are there any parks within an hour that are definitely worth hitting up?

-Overall, is a first-time visit to Dollywood worth the extra expenses to visit than 2 mini-trips to already-visoted closer parks like SFNE, or a trip to a once-visited park like CP? I know this is subjective, but I'd like to hear people's thoughts.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!!!

1) Knoxville or Tri Cities

2) You get a free shuttle and a timesaver. I would personally stay off property because there are plenty of nice, cheap hotels in the Pigeon Forge area. I recommend the Pigeon River Inn which is about 10 minutes from the gate.

3) Dollywood is about 1/2 the size of Hershey but a little larger than Carowinds in terms of size. Dollywood has about 1/2 the attractions Hershey does.

4) Early spring crowds are manageable, but then again crowds are relatively unpredictable at Dollywood. I think if you go on a weekday you should be fine.

5) I'd say about a day and 1/2. Do the after 3pm next day free deal and you should be able to experience everything (don't forget the shows).

6) The Great Smokey Mountain National Park (wrong type of park, I know) is less than an hour away and definitely worth a visit if you have the time. I would recommend a ride around Cades Cove.

7) Dollywood is definitely worth the extra money!

I say Millennium Force, others say i305, and at the end of the day we toast to enjoying coasters. Look, I didn't mean to incite a defense of your driving record or transportation preferences. I won't edit that post, but please understand that I'm not trying to invalidate your thoughts. You had a thoughtful post, and finding savings to put toward the cabin was real good advice. Driving can be a viable option, & if it's all the same to him and he saves money, he should do it! But I don't want to see flying get discouraged from consideration by a concert of subsequent posts that promote driving by way of contempt for airports and flying.

In truth, I've had about the same ratio of good drives to good flights. It's a toss-up, and I hope Nitro considers both because airports aren't always nightmares just because that narrative gets propagated. If he finds good flight rates and does some calculations, he might get a great deal to put toward the cabin. Personally*, I love taking a good book, having some small talk on a plane, and then being in Carowinds fresh while my extended family is still back at a rest stop in West Virginia.

* Opinion alert

Gonna be hard to get out there with my schedule next year, but I'm seriously considering finding a way. After getting almost 20 laps on Twisted Colossus October 2nd (the park was dead, even at night X2 was virtually a walk on) I kinda get what these RMC coasters are about and these 2016 additions look outright amazing. The ride already looks spectacular.