TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I plan to take more when I go back in a few weeks of the actual station from inside along with if anymore changes had been done. There were about 4-5 cars in front of us just driving up there to see the coaster because one car had a camera with a zoom lens LOL. I tried to take a picture of the bents on the hill but all the trees were in the way and it made a really hard to identify picture but yes, the drop when you stand and look at it looks like nothing but an airtime/speed monster.

I'd also be very disappointed if a park promised an RMC but just added a drop. It's almost like construction isn't over yet.

It's worth noting that the length of track shown in this image is roughly twice the length of track in Goliath SFGAm's entire layout, and that's a decent ride.

Went to Smoky Mountains Christmas last night! while a lot of the even seems to be better, especially the lights right at the front, a lot of it also felt lacking this year.. Not very many lights in the blazing fury, some parts of the park had no lights at all (did they run out? Where they not on?).. Not much Christmas music playing like years past.. IDK maybe it was just to early for me to be in the Christmas spirit but a lot felt missing.. I'll be back in a few weeks maybe everything will be better then lol.

Overall a fun trip through!! No wait times! Their new ride wait system screens weren't working very well.. Tennessee Tornados even said it was temporarily closed.. But there was no gate up so we walked up and about 3 people where getting on.. It wasn't closed but I guess people believed the sign ha-ha..

^ Yeah, I'm still shaking my head on how those are pictures of the same drop.

image_369.jpeg

thumb_image_375.jpeg

There is no way those are both pictures of the same drop.

So I'm still trying to figure out if they're pictures of two different drops or actually the same. Is it because of the way it's situated on the hill, as well as the trees, as well as perhaps the top being illuminated and the bottom in shadow contributing to it? I know that looking at a drop straight up makes it look smaller (like in the MF picture below), but Lightning Rod seems really exaggerated.

millennium_drop.jpg.69c9e53058c9454eee58d9bc859eeb38.jpg

So I'm still trying to figure out if they're pictures of two different drops or actually the same. Is it because of the way it's situated on the hill, as well as the trees, as well as perhaps the top being illuminated and the bottom in shadow contributing to it? I know that looking at a drop straight up makes it look smaller (like in the MF picture below), but Lightning Rod seems really exaggerated.

There are some footers at the base of the drop to the right side in the second image- you could see the top of one of them in the first image.

I spent more time than I should have trying to figure out if those photos were of the same drop. I finally just started counting the supports... and sure enough they added up. I don't think that first photo does this coaster justice. It makes it look like a kiddie coaster when it's really going to be more like a ride on a space shuttle.

Because the photo where the drop looks "very small" is taken from the ground, close to the track, and because Lightning Rod has a pretty big radius at the top of the drop, a lot of the track literally vanishes from that perspective.

In contrast, the picture where the drop looks stunning is taken from higher elevation... line of sight more horizontal, full track comes into view.

I'll use a crop of Dollywoodlover20's pic below. The orange arrow is the rough line of sight in the "weird" pic, meaning the track beyond the dotted line is obstructed from view. If you look at the vanishing point at the top of the track, you can see it is only about 3 or 4 big bents into the structure, roughly in agreement with the sketch.

dolly1.png.0e0f0a5c722962576100a02345255d47.png

Poof!

Whatever, I just can't wait to ride it.

GUYS, I have breaking news. Things look different from different angles. Can't believe this is still being discussed.

Lightning Rod looks absolutely insane. What a setting for a ride. And the drop will have insane sustained airtime all the way down it looking at the shape.

But how do we know if the angles are objectively different, or if it's each person's opinion? Only one way to find out: Mitch Hawker's 2016 Photographs of Roller Coasters poll.

GUYS, I have breaking news. Things look different from different angles. Can't believe this is still being discussed.

Lightning Rod looks absolutely insane. What a setting for a ride. And the drop will have insane sustained airtime all the way down it looking at the shape.

Exactly.

I don't think I've ever been this impressed by a coaster under construction for years. RMC seems to be knocking this thing out of the ball park and they've convinced me to visit next year.

I agree with whoever it was who said this ride was going to be a disappointment. Therefore I think you should just pack it up and ship it to Norway, and we'll "dispose" of the ride for you.

Come one Jake, here we are having a good discussion and you have to come ruin it with logic!

I'm pretty sure we all are smart enough to understand that things look different from different angles. I think the discussion was more about how drastic the difference was between the two pictures... I see nothing wrong with this discussion.

I'd, personally, rather have people discussing the various pictures and angles any day over having the discussion be on par with those in the KD discussion thread . . .

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

Went to Smoky Mountains Christmas last night! while a lot of the even seems to be better, especially the lights right at the front, a lot of it also felt lacking this year.. Not very many lights in the blazing fury, some parts of the park had no lights at all (did they run out? Where they not on?).. Not much Christmas music playing like years past.. IDK maybe it was just to early for me to be in the Christmas spirit but a lot felt missing.. I'll be back in a few weeks maybe everything will be better then lol.

Did you take any pictures of either the lack of lights or the better areas you can share here? I was hoping someone would have put some up by now. (I can't find anything on Instagram yet for 2015 unfortunately.)

Do you recall if they put lights on the Mystery Mine trestle this year? That seems to be one of the spots that's inconsistent from year to year. I hope to make it up there in 2-3 weeks to see it all in it's glory, in person as well! I would suspect that Rivertown Junction seems a little sparse this year with the Carol of Trees shifting to the former Timber Tower midway, and being renamed to the Celebration of Lights.

How about Wild Eagle's station? In 2013, I remember it having brilliant, beautiful LED curtain lights above the entry from the pathway. But last year the display didn't return. I think only part of the rooftop was outlined in lights, if even that. Also, the large lighted butterfly was in a inconspicuous place last year on the Emporium building facing the tram station, since the DreamMore preview center was occupying it's normal home.

Did you have a opportunity to drive around DreamMore to see how it it's decorated on the exterior? I would expect it to be decked out to the "nines" (and to the "fives" as well, LOL). It deserves to be decorated on a scale as grand and as impressive as the Opryland Hotel!!!

Mystery Mine did have lights but they stopped there and had no lights between there and Tornado..

And you are correct there was nothing in rivertown junction either. They had no lights on wild eagle, at least when I rode it Sunday night

The front was beautiful though!! And I'll be back several more times this year.. as you go up the hill it turns to all boring white lights haha

Please note these are from my phone so no idea how they turned out

uploadfromtaptalk1447090415173.thumb.jpg.61d19f5e1b949ce5f14d0ed25a42af9b.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1447090431309.thumb.jpg.a83cc0377f0f0d5ed866095e85f5c152.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1447090401189.thumb.jpg.6b6812b35adac552b59dbafeb85147e8.jpg

There are some footers at the base of the drop to the right side in the second image- you could see the top of one of them in the first image.

Sooo, for me, that begs the question - what are those footers near the base of the drop for? They're not represented in the initial animation renderings from the day of the announcement. They look too beefy to be for a set of evacuation stairs or whatever.

2114077878_lightningrodscreengrabsatannouncementdollywood2015.jpg.d8f5208b340e47c3519977604297caa6.jpg

august animation for Lightning Rod.

1599602832_dollywoodlightningrodfirstdropfromRMC11082015ish.jpg.5397b1c533f134966a6755ef4a6301a3.jpg

from RMC's page