TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Wow, this is getting thrown together a lot quicker than I was expecting! Are they thinking there'll be a particularly mean winter in the Smokies this year and they want to get as far ahead as possible?

My assumption is the gift shop will be the exit where they will sell pictures, hats, t-shirts, keychains, mugs, glasses, replacement underwear, etc.

I feel like you may have visited an amusement park in the past.

Wow, this is getting thrown together a lot quicker than I was expecting! Are they thinking there'll be a particularly mean winter in the Smokies this year and they want to get as far ahead as possible?

Yes, it can be pretty rugged there when the snow starts falling.

I live in Southeast KY (only 2.5 hours from Pigeon Forge) and I can assure you, when we get hit by snow it's not just snow. It's anything from ice, sleet, and snow mixed and all that can be crippling because when you live in the mountains you are literally stuck in your tracks if a huge snow hits.

Anyway, I feel like this coaster will be pretty much finished around Thanksgiving. Which we haven't seen anymore pictures of what's going on from the employee parking lot so I'm just going to assume the wood work is pretty much placed if not being placed down in that area.

^The loading station is skewed from the entrance although I didn't pay close enough attention to see if they are connected together. My guess is that they will be.

Exactly the confirmation I was looking for. Excuse my bad wording but thanks!

It's sad that I live in the center between four RMC's in drivable distance (by my means and their worth), yet I have still to experience one of these. How does compare in detail to an Intamin Prefab?

Dollywood likes to take the winter weather out of the equation and have the major construction part done before it hits. That way all they have left is the final touches and ride testing during January/February.

Anyway, I feel like this coaster will be pretty much finished around Thanksgiving.

This would be my guess as well. Wild Eagle had complete track by the end of October of course that was a much simpler assembly than this one will be.

Edited by ernierocker

I'll be interested to see what they do from the station to the lift hill to increase the ride time. Pete Owens is quoted as saying the time from being dispatched to hitting the final brakes will be 189 seconds.

With a launched lift and the speed this ride is going to go through its course, I am thinking more like a minute of actual "ride time". It is obvious there is going to be a pre-show of some kind on that approach to the lift hill. The station doesn't appear to be long enough to serve as anything more than unloading/loading the trains, so it has to be on that turn into the lift.

My guess is that it will be enclosed all the way to or even all the way to the top of the lift hill. Not only will it double as a noise barrier for the condos nearby off-property, but it will transition you into the mountain scenery which will be the majority of the ride experience without seeing a service road and the backstage areas of the park. Thoughts?

My guess is that it will be enclosed all the way to or even all the way to the top of the lift hill. Not only will it double as a noise barrier for the condos nearby off-property, but it will transition you into the mountain scenery which will be the majority of the ride experience without seeing a service road and the backstage areas of the park. Thoughts?

I'm hoping this is right. It could explain the weird supports over the top of the hill! However, if it were going to be enclosed for most of the way, if not all of the way up the hill... Wouldn't we see more supports, or footers or something for the enclosure??

I'll be interested to see what they do from the station to the lift hill to increase the ride time. Pete Owens is quoted as saying the time from being dispatched to hitting themaintenance brakes will be 189 seconds.

With a launched lift and the speed this ride is going to go through its course, I am thinking more like a minute of actual "ride time". It is obvious there is going to be a pre-show of some kind on that approach to the lift hill. The station doesn't appear to be long enough to serve as anything more than unloading/loading the trains, so it has to be on that turn into the lift.

I've been predicting a dark ride like element for awile now( because of the estimated ride time and also the price tag). I hope it comes to be. Also i think that covering the launch would help with maintenance costs because it would keep it out of the weather.

I'm hoping this is right. It could explain the weird supports over the top of the hill! However, if it were going to be enclosed for most of the way, if not all of the way up the hill... Wouldn't we see more supports, or footers or something for the enclosure??

I am already seeing substantial evidence in the structure being built in this photo that there will be enough room for enclosure. Especially, with the wooden supports below the track. Those span well beyond arm's length from the edge of the track.

Edited by ernierocker

I agree. It seems as if that extra piece of wood beneath the track stretching horizontally will be part of a tunnel. Not the biggest fan of it on this coaster due to the scenery, however I'm sure RMC and Dollywood have something in mind for the tunnel. Or we could be over thinking this and this are to support the catwalks