TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Also, about the cinnamon bread: who here has had both SDC and DW's versions? I was surprised that they were so different. DW's is more pillowly while SDC's is more compact, and DW's uses heaps of brown granular sugar while SDC uses white sugar glaze. I'm personally more of a fan of SDC's version, just because I don't like the granular sugar. The mills in both parks are some of my favorite places though, and I really appreciate the authenticity.

Almost a mean-spirited question to have to choose, but I'll make it a third vote for the SDC version.

Also, about the cinnamon bread: who here has had both SDC and DW's versions? I was surprised that they were so different. DW's is more pillowly while SDC's is more compact, and DW's uses heaps of brown granular sugar while SDC uses white sugar glaze. I'm personally more of a fan of SDC's version, just because I don't like the granular sugar. The mills in both parks are some of my favorite places though, and I really appreciate the authenticity.

Almost a mean-spirited question to have to choose, but I'll make it a third vote for the SDC version.

I prefer Dollywood's! But I did have DW's fresh in the morning compared to SDC's in the afternoon.

If they're really adding a tunnel to the lift, why wasn't it in the concept art/announcement? Seems odd to leave a highlight like that out. It usually works the other way around.

My guess is that it wasn't in the original plans at all but was added when some of the condo owners raised concerns about noise. Absolutely no basis for this thought other than my experience in town hall meetings in my town in Missouri and a general knowledge of human nature.

If they're really adding a tunnel to the lift, why wasn't it in the concept art/announcement? Seems odd to leave a highlight like that out. It usually works the other way around.

SFGA's Goliath lift supports, Switchback's vertical spike, Wicked Cyclone's scenery, etc.

Edited by KingRCT3

Sometimes parks leave things out of concept art/announcement, so that there is still some element of surprise to the new attraction when it opens.

Sometimes parks leave things out of concept art/announcement, so that there is still some element of surprise to the new attraction when it opens.

Not only that, but sometimes there are last minute changes to the project. The park sees that some things won't work out, or some things could be done better, etc.

Hey everyone, I have a very obscure request.

Anyone who's visited this season - did you happen to take a photo of one of the directional sign assemblies that points where all the rides and areas are? I'm doing some research on wayfinding in theme parks and I thought about Dollywood - but as it turns out I didn't take any photos myself.

We've been seeing a lot of layout changes from RMC too, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of that happening yet.

Alan Schilke said in an interview that he likes the finished ride to be slightly different to animations to keep some things as a surprise when people ride it. Usually the change isn't much, like an inversion entering/exiting the opposite way to the animation (I think the top gun stall on Twisted Colossus is an example of this IIRC, as well as other slight changes on that ride). So yeh I would expect some slight changes in the final ride from the animation.

Alan Schilke said in an interview that he likes the finished ride to be slightly different to animations to keep some things as a surprise when people ride it. Usually the change isn't much, like an inversion entering/exiting the opposite way to the animation

Inversions eh...

rod.jpg.38c6c13645b79e6d483bb518a4747b49.jpg

Edited by BDG

^Like this?

(P.S. Dollywood does have Google StreetView, so you can probably grab some more screenshots that way.)

I couldn't spot any on Street View, I'll check again. What I'm looking for are those posts with all the different directional signs on them. Wilderness Pass this way, Owen's Farm that way, Thunderhead some other way, etc.

Those specific signs might have only just been installed for the 2015 season.

Alan Schilke said in an interview that he likes the finished ride to be slightly different to animations to keep some things as a surprise when people ride it. Usually the change isn't much, like an inversion entering/exiting the opposite way to the animation

Inversions eh...

No inversions on this one. Dollywood wants to keep the minimum height requirement down and that was probably one of the sole restrictions they put on the design. Besides, the top of that lift is going to be one of the highlights of the ride!

^Like this?

(P.S. Dollywood does have Google StreetView, so you can probably grab some more screenshots that way.)

I couldn't spot any on Street View, I'll check again. What I'm looking for are those posts with all the different directional signs on them. Wilderness Pass this way, Owen's Farm that way, Thunderhead some other way, etc.

Those specific signs might have only just been installed for the 2015 season.

There really isn't a lot of signs like that in the park. I do know there is one on the walking path past Blazing Fury on the way to Tennessee Tornado. I believe it tells you the distance to Wild Eagle and FireChaser Express.

Inversions other than a clothoid loop depend on the restraint to hold in the rider, and it would be prohibitively difficult to design a restraint for people under 48" that also accommodates normal-sized adults. Some coasters with only loops can allow 42" basically because the track itself holds in the riders, not the restraints.

That said, all the RMC restraints are the same, so this will likely be 48", but HFE may ask for modified restraints that will accommodate smaller kids. Powder Keg is 42" with adult, 48" without. It's not unthinkable that Lightning Run may do the same. It's a possibility precisely because there aren't inversions.

Currently Dollywood has 3 coasters which do invert (MM, WE, TT) and 2 that do not (TH, FCE). Lightning Rod will balance the two categories as it will be the third non-inverting coaster.

So you think... RMC Could still have some tricks up their sleeves. . .

I am NOT saying that "OMG, yes this coaster will have inversions..." But maybe that explains the weird supports at the top of the launch. Maybe RMC, and Dollywood are keeping something from us for some reason.

Just a thought.

Currently Dollywood has 3 coasters which do invert (MM, WE, TT) and 2 that do not (TH, FCE). Lightning Rod will balance the two categories as it will be the third non-inverting coaster.

So you think... RMC Could still have some tricks up their sleeves. . .

I am NOT saying that "OMG, yes this coaster will have inversions..." But maybe that explains the weird supports at the top of the launch. Maybe RMC, and Dollywood are keeping something from us for some reason.

Just a thought.

No, stop. It won't have inversions. you people are ridiculous. The same people that were certain that Valravn was going to have a name change. Be logical.