TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Like many others, I also noticed that the construction pics seem to indicate a roof of some type at the top of the launched lift hill. I think it would be awesome if the two humps at the top of the lift were covered in a wooden tunnel. That would make the moment when you re-emerge into the light and scream down the first huge drop absolutely insane. I wonder what their plans are. I guess time will tell. Maybe there will just be outhouse-sized shacks on the top of those first two humps to indicate.....uhm......nipples.

In regards to the roof looking supports at the top of the lift hill...

Do we think it is possible we might see a tunnel launch on this coaster?? Having most, if not all of the launch hill enclosed?? Just guessing here, but trying to make sense out of the unique supports at the top of the hill.

I agree a tunnel is not going to happen or else we would already know. However, there is a long tunnel through the mountain on the way into Gatlinburg, which is a gateway into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, so it would have been a cool and very appropriate addition. But really this coaster doesn't need it. It is going to be so awesome just as it is....the quadruple down (and the airtime it promises) is the part I am most excited about. Perhaps this will be the best wooden coaster ever!

That's funny! I brought up the idea of a tunnel on the launch about a week ago and it apparently was in the plans the whole time, I believe someone said me bringing up the idea was complaining? idk i'm glad its happening though.

I agree a tunnel is not going to happen or else we would already know. However, there is a long tunnel through the mountain on the way into Gatlinburg, which is a gateway into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, so it would have been a cool and very appropriate addition. But really this coaster doesn't need it. It is going to be so awesome just as it is....the quadruple down (and the airtime it promises) is the part I am most excited about. Perhaps this will be the best wooden coaster ever!

That's funny! I brought up the idea of a tunnel on the launch about a week ago and it apparently was in the plans the whole time, I believe someone said me bringing up the idea was complaining? idk i'm glad its happening though.

You were right, blakelemay23!!!! I am so happy that you were correct.

I said the lack of tunnel is the closest thing someone ever got to complaining about an RMC

^ Prozach, I understand that you and your wife are very health conscious. Did you two indulge in the Cinnamon Bread, or any other of the unhealthy popular options at DW? I'm just curious.

Honestly, we missed the boat. I don't know what the hell we were doing, but we've since discovered that there were entire sections of the park that we didn't see. I think that even includes this 'auto' themed area where LR is being built. I messed up and didn't do enough research ahead of time, because I missed the bread completely.

That being said, park days are kind of cheat days for us. We eat healthy/paleo during the day, but we top off the evenings with terrible (delicious) food and adult beverages. I ate one of the giant pieces of pizza which was decent, but I missed out on the cinnamon bread. Next time for sure.

^ It is just wishful thinking, but as i've mentioned before, the speed, track length, and ride duration they've given us doesn't come anywhere close to being possible (not even by estimation). My theory makes it fit. Not to mention Dollywood representatives visited Europa Park. In my opinion, that makes it quite plausible.

If this tunnel launch does go through, do you guys think music will be blasting through it? I mean music is also a huge part of not only "JUKEBOX Junction" but Dollywood. If not the tunnel, I think it would be cool if the ride had an on ride sound system to simulate the revving of the car and squealing of tires along with songs like "The Twist" "Great Balls of Fire" "Johnny B Goode" etc. you catch my "drift"

bkwjim, I wasn't trying to brag or shove it in your face or anything I just used the quote to establish the presence of the conversation earlier in the thread. I actually agreed with you that we "probably would not see it" , but i'm just glad what we discussed is becoming a reality!

ImNotOneYou : You asked if talking about the idea was a way of complaining about the coaster, and I said no. You never said that was the closest thing to someone complaining about an RMC unless I missed that later on.

However, I hope the tunnel includes lighting effects and heavy mist. I believe the upkeep on something like that would be much better maintained at a park like Dollywood.

bkwjim, I wasn't trying to brag or shove it in your face or anything I just used the quote to establish the presence of the conversation earlier in the thread. I actually agreed with you that we "probably would not see it" , but i'm just glad what we discussed is becoming a reality!

ImNotOneYou : You asked if talking about the idea was a way of complaining about the coaster, and I said no. You never said that was the closest thing to someone complaining about an RMC unless I missed that later on.

However, I hope the tunnel includes lighting effects and heavy mist. I believe the upkeep on something like that would be much better maintained at a park like Dollywood.

blakelemay23, I KNOW!!! I was sincere in my comment when I said "You were right!!!". I didn't take it as bragging or trying to shove it in my face or anything. I knew you were just pointing it out. I was simply supporting you.

If they're really adding a tunnel to the lift, why wasn't it in the concept art/announcement? Seems odd to leave a highlight like that out. It usually works the other way around.

Also, about the cinnamon bread: who here has had both SDC and DW's versions? I was surprised that they were so different. DW's is more pillowly while SDC's is more compact, and DW's uses heaps of brown granular sugar while SDC uses white sugar glaze. I'm personally more of a fan of SDC's version, just because I don't like the granular sugar. The mills in both parks are some of my favorite places though, and I really appreciate the authenticity.

blakelemay23, I KNOW!!! I was sincere in my comment when I said "You were right!!!". I didn't take it as bragging or trying to shove it in my face or anything. I knew you were just pointing it out. I was simply supporting you.

Awesome, just making sure. You never know when someone is being sarcastic on here!

Also, about the cinnamon bread: who here has had both SDC and DW's versions? I was surprised that they were so different. DW's is more pillowly while SDC's is more compact, and DW's uses heaps of brown granular sugar while SDC uses white sugar glaze. I'm personally more of a fan of SDC's version, just because I don't like the granular sugar. The mills in both parks are some of my favorite places though, and I really appreciate the authenticity.

I also prefer the SDC version, but certainly wouldn't kick Dollywood's out of bed.