TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I agree a tunnel is not going to happen or else we would already know. However, there is a long tunnel through the mountain on the way into Gatlinburg, which is a gateway into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, so it would have been a cool and very appropriate addition. But really this coaster doesn't need it. It is going to be so awesome just as it is....the quadruple down (and the airtime it promises) is the part I am most excited about. Perhaps this will be the best wooden coaster ever!

Is the lack of tunnel discussion coaster enthusiasts finding a way to complain about an RMC?

I don't think so. It's just conversation. I really don't think there is anyone who could possibly complain or be disappointed about this coaster.

I'm at the park now and this is the most crowded day that I have been here so far this summer. They have made a lot of progress on lightning rod since I was here a few weeks ago. It's kind of hard to tell from the photo that I took but the station is already looking very 1950s.

image.thumb.jpg.33a1097693422ee7c0eaa71113603855.jpg

I'll tell you one thing that is really ticking me off at Dollywood, and the Thunderhead staff is the worst.. The way they are treating their "No Camera" policy

If I hear them announce "You are in copyright infringement to Kodak" one more time I don't know what I'll do but I'll be very unhappy

Please note, I don't personally take cameras on any Dollywood ride, they are always announcing it to someone else.. But whenever I hear that I don't "Enjoy Every Moment". There are much friendlier ways to handle this.

I have been to several six flags parks, Disney Parks, and even cedar fair parks and while they all have these rules they never announce bull crap like "You are in copyright infringement" they just ask you to put your camera up!! It's a safety issue.

1.) You are not in any type of copyright infringement that would hold up in court.. I already asked a lawyer friend.. He said if anything Dollywood announcing that has more grounds for a lawsuit than taking a pic

2.) Last night is the second time this season I have heard this announcement on Thunderhead.. Last night, while I was waiting in line, the ride OPs freaked out because someone on the lift hill, in seat 11 pulled out a camera..(yeah the girl checking restraints yelled it to the guy running the coaster in front of everyone ha-ha) They stopped the ride because bc of it and announced over the lift hill speakers "Cameras are not allowed on or at ANY Dollywood attraction. You are in copy infringement of Kodak"

Here's my point Dollywood.. Think about how you can take care of this problem while still providing good and honest customer service.. Announce it is a safety issue and not copyright infringement.. What are you going to do? Send someone to jail for taking a photo??? Sue them for copyright infringement?? I mean seriously!!! Pete if your reading this I'd love to hear your answer! Why not announce it is a safety concern?? BTW it has gotten much worse since you have changed camera providers.. If this is a requirement of Kodak you might want to rethink that decision.

I hate to say this, but for situations like this you really need to take a few notes from other parks on customer service

Sorry this is the end of my rant but when I was waiting in line last night for Thunderhead and heard that announced to the train on the lift hill, it really ruined my afternoon and it wasn't even directed to me.. Ha-ha if I had even had my phone on me I would have posted this message then and there

Edited by dstephe9

I'm at the park now and this is the most crowded day that I have been here so far this summer. They have made a lot of progress on lightning rod since I was here a few weeks ago. It's kind of hard to tell from the photo that I took but the station is already looking very 1950s.

Wow! Thanks for posting the pic!

It is really starting to take shape. Can't wait to go next year!!!

Here's my point Dollywood.. Think about how you can take care of this problem while still providing good and honest customer service.. Announce it is a safety issue and not copyright infringement.. What are you going to do? Send someone to jail for taking a photo??? Sue them for copyright infringement?? I mean seriously!!! Pete if your reading this I'd love to hear your answer! Why not announce it is a safety concern?? BTW it has gotten much worse since you have changed camera providers.. If this is a requirement of Kodak you might want to rethink that decision.

I hate to say this, but for situations like this you really need to take a few notes from other parks on customer service

Sorry this is the end of my rant but when I was waiting in line last night for Thunderhead and heard that announced to the train on the lift hill, it really ruined my afternoon and it wasn't even directed to me.. Ha-ha if I had even had my phone on me I would have posted this message then and there

I totally get where you are coming from and agree completely. HFEC used to be so good at handing this type of stuff, but they've gotten so big so quickly and almost all the employees from the older schools of thought have fled the company. It's becoming so much more of a stale corporate environment so quickly. The new CEO and most of the management team in Atlanta is more impressed by Six Flags than the chain's own history. This is just one more example in a LONG list of little things that really add up.

I totally get where you are coming from and agree completely. HFEC used to be so good at handing this type of stuff, but they've gotten so big so quickly and almost all the employees from the older schools of thought have fled the company. It's becoming so much more of a stale corporate environment so quickly. The new CEO and most of the management team in Atlanta is more impressed by Six Flags than the chain's own history. This is just one more example in a LONG list of little things that really add up.

I understand your point about the wording being a little odd, in regards to "copyright infringement of Kodak", but that certainly would not have ruined my day at the park. And the bottom line is that it is against the rules. If people would just obey the rules, there would be no need for the park staff to issue warnings, whether the wording of that warning is about "copyright infringement" or "safety".

I understand your point about the wording being a little odd, in regards to "copyright infringement of Kodak", but that certainly would not have ruined my day at the park. And the bottom line is that it is against the rules. If people would just obey the rules, there would be no need for the park staff to issue warnings, whether the wording of that warning is about "copyright infringement" or "safety".

When I first heard it earlier in the season it upset me but didn't ruin my day but when I hear it over and over and it feels like they are on a witch hunt for people with cameras, that's when it is annoying and really starts to bother me

Overall, it was still a good trip for the most part..

Now I might hear it more than others bc when i ride rides I wait until its close to closing and no waits! Ha-ha. I was able to ride Thunderhead several times in a row (BTW while I am complaining why does Dollywood make you get off and walk around even when no ones in line.. Six flags has never done that ha-ha, this is a small complaint but still)

Just some tips to help Dollywood with their customer service a little. CS is all about perception lol

And the bottom line is that it is against the rules. If people would just obey the rules, there would be no need for the park staff to issue warnings, whether the wording of that warning is about "copyright infringement" or "safety".

^ This. This a thousand times over. DW and HFEC are very strict on safety rules and whenever you make a general announcement, no one pays attention. So then you ask someone to put their camera away before the train leaves they generally do... then they pull it out on the lift hill, so you announce for them to put it away again, then they do. Then they pull it out again mid-way through the ride.

Times that situation by 30 times a day considering everything has to be caught on video by everyone nowadays and you too would be frustrated by it. Then when a guest DOES lose something, it's your fault they did too. You can't win as a ride op in regard to loose articles. You're 'rude' if you don't let them take something then are 'rude' if they lose it and can't shut down to go look for it. Never mind the fact that your loose article could become a flying projectile and seriously hurt someone.

Copyright infringement has never been a term i've used in regard to this situation, I just yell at them for breaking rules and disobeying instructions given by a ride attendant (which in essence is breaking two ride safety rules).

No one is disparaging them for enforcing rules or stating them. It's just a weird, cold, unfriendly way to confront guests by referring to some corporate giant's copyright rights. They used to be more fun with it, telling guests stuff like buzzards will attack the train if they see a camera or whatever. Like he said, it's a perception issue. No one wants to be shouted at about copyrights and corporate entities while they are trying to get away from it all in a highly themed environment.

Obviously a lot of guests suck, and I understand the challenges, but the script needs some help here - and in other places around the park. Wild Eagle's operators seem to do well with this kind of stuff.

No one is disparaging them for enforcing rules or stating them. It's just a weird, cold, unfriendly way to confront guests by referring to some corporate giant's copyright rights. They used to be more fun with it, telling guests stuff like buzzards will attack the train if they see a camera or whatever. Like he said, it's a perception issue. No one wants to be shouted at about copyrights and corporate entities while they are trying to get away from it all in a highly themed environment.

Obviously a lot of guests suck, and I understand the challenges, but the script needs some help here - and in other places around the park. Wild Eagle's operators seem to do well with this kind of stuff.

Exactly.. I don't mind them enforcing rules.. It's using terms like copyright rights and stuff as the reason.. That's what bothers and bothered me

*TRAVIS AND CASSY'S TRIP REPORT*

PART 1:

So Travis and I had a little six-day vacation at Dollywood and Pigeon Forge, and we stayed at the new Dream More Resort. I had never even been to Tennessee, so this was all a new experience to me; where as Travis had gone when he was a kid every few years, but the last time he had gone was 2008. So heres a little bit about how we spent our time while visiting!

We drove down Tuesday morning and arrived six and a half hours later and checked into the resort and took the trolly to Dollywood to spend the rest of the time we had left at the park till they closed.

IMG_2257.thumb.JPG.cd932955d7c73f57568b0cc6223156c2.JPG

Our home for the week! :)

IMG_8537.thumb.JPG.871d7936979a9ffc8085db7741434e05.JPG

On the trolly to Dollywood, we were the only ones on the trolly Tuesday

IMG_8492.thumb.jpg.c25cc81be9084e9643e245385e0b3622.jpg

Dinner consisted of the largest slice of pizza ever…

IMG_8488.thumb.JPG.a28cfc175838582dc003bbc0b32e17a4.JPG

This was indeed on top of our list to ride and OMG <3

IMG_8877.thumb.JPG.049e502644ceb4c3512517da5ee0e5c4.JPG

we managed to ride all the coasters that evening with no lines at all! :)

IMG_2263.thumb.JPG.6efa3c84a2a314e36e22316454edeb8c.JPG

after the park closed we went back to the resort and went swimming, this place is beautiful!

IMG_2275.thumb.JPG.a08f2c221f72d84cbd7ae181d52f64ee.JPG

Since the resort is new, they don't have a "dinner" per-say, but they do have a menu of items you can order, we got chicken and it was delicious!

IMG_8543.thumb.jpg.b1bdd9595f347d3833ae9bac496bb58e.jpg

The pool has a DJ on certain nights from 7-9, the beginning of the week there were only a few of us, but our last day there were a lot of people. He plays games with the kids and tries to get everyone involved, he also was a former disney employee! :)

IMG_8559.thumb.JPG.1901450811cd2f6a530522eaa74554f8.JPG

around the pool walkway, there are tons of fire pits where you can sit in a rocking chair by the fire, they also have smores kits you can buy for $5 which makes 2 smores

IMG_2285.thumb.JPG.1cf2d961fbe1a4bbc3676f90b1d764bf.JPG

Wednesday morning we got some breakfast at their breakfast buffet, which had the largest selection of choices I've seen…I mean, they had everything! and its all home made! The french toast is highly recommended by Travis :)

IMG_8723.thumb.JPG.89ca6874cb0babdfccfe14e98be423c8.JPG

the dining area is beautifully decorated

IMG_2361.thumb.JPG.4179136f7a565efed3d9991e5aea0346.JPG

our room :)

IMG_8615.thumb.JPG.c8da69c64b1c28f9abd8bad86facbc35.JPG

since the parks were closed, we obviously had no choice but to go for a bi-plane ride :p

IMG_8680.thumb.JPG.ef1a4a8ac7e245af73da580fbc3396f7.JPG

look its Dollywood!

IMG_8686.thumb.JPG.8ed7d30b1edacb6dbb83eaa42a0a7320.JPG

and Splash Country!

IMG_8709.thumb.JPG.7ecd4d0a29dac7021b3ef6b9b0deb73e.JPG

this was a TON of fun! and the guy who runs it does an amazing job! This was Travis's very first ride in any kind of plane :)

IMG_8595.thumb.JPG.bc130ea54341c96265dbe19147883fe5.JPG

we spent a lot of time at the pool and driving around the area Wednesday and Thursday

IMG_8579.thumb.jpg.103c4ae6e7884ae2d8923e4853a485c3.jpg

we HAD to stop here :3

IMG_8728.thumb.JPG.f7b102f97096c7f393d5bd5b6d70f5a7.JPG

they had an awesome game room at the resort, which had token operated games and two TV's with XBOX Ones to play with

IMG_2260.thumb.JPG.77918d2444da77094346a4cbff4cc380.JPG

of course we had to stop here :p

IMG_8796.thumb.jpg.dea02687658a5528067b39bbc90df8cc.jpg

OMG

IMG_8774.thumb.jpg.4a67e8900f80249b393aaa241cc94f3a.jpg

yay smores! :p

IMG_8814.thumb.jpg.a88cf7bb135827df01fee515afa85be9.jpg

this was one of my favorite areas of the resort, everything was so well decorated and themed there!

IMG_8573.thumb.JPG.16cefc376cf88910dc57ee34b71697c1.JPG

the fountain was so pretty at night!

Edited by partycat

PART 2

So Friday when we went the park was not busy at all an we also got to have a little Q-bot friend as a perk of staying at Dream More. Those things make me want to play with my old tamagotchi ^.^ we also decided to go zip-lining that morning as well!

Here's a few of the pictures from our last three days of being at the park!

IMG_2310.thumb.JPG.1abe06bb6eea91e3ef83df248756b738.JPG

This was so much fun! and the workers have a great sense of humor as well. We zip lined over 3 roller coasters!

IMG_2311.thumb.jpg.cd9c52cba060c0b935146039d7cbed41.jpg

zip-lining selfie!

IMG_8776.thumb.jpg.bd31a8763217ab73132bafb5647d40c9.jpg

my little tamagotchi knows what's up! ;)

IMG_8777.thumb.JPG.ff2333b03fc6f1152915883b938d12eb.JPG

YAY!

IMG_8511.thumb.JPG.687d1e94382aa43aedffc44397d5a107.JPG

construction pictures!

IMG_8518.thumb.JPG.c9ea5d46e3f61f78017212a6130eeab4.JPG

more!

IMG_8784.thumb.JPG.ce84c0ab5c36372e5f167297279e9dd8.JPG

look a crane!

IMG_8788.thumb.jpg.267de44ea1b465667176c2e8a1278ec3.jpg

of course we had to take a sign picture!

IMG_8915.thumb.JPG.f5887eac28dc9499d4d261130302132a.JPG

Dreamland drive in was an amazing show! I think it was my favorite that we saw! (sorry Dolly)

IMG_8912.thumb.jpg.0d453fb98d8edde7804285e11261b762.jpg

Travis is a giant child with these things, so many families got drenched because of him.. xD

IMG_2366.thumb.JPG.47211830f96c4a7ea9db3af4c8471086.JPG

Saturday we got really good parking ;) we climbed five million stairs to the top of Wild Eagle that morning!

IMG_2457.thumb.jpg.6e9cee48188de111f458cb7e69ff7005.jpg

that is ALOT of stairs..

IMG_2447.thumb.JPG.d802827ea92d4dd73b62a0b4dda431c3.JPG

wow were my legs tired!

IMG_2379.thumb.JPG.fc19bb37690cb22af3eab14594edd0c9.JPG

the views at the top are incredible!

IMG_2397.thumb.JPG.c44fda1cee483388f0f32b61e4138c3a.JPG

look over there!

IMG_8937.thumb.jpg.af46d33c87681d5d67993b7b0b11d37e.jpg

yay!

IMG_2451.thumb.JPG.9f918ddcfb64da9178d35736d73ebd25.JPG

more shots of the park :)

IMG_2370.thumb.jpg.d951ab90f64143084cbe9abaa16f4c44.jpg

yay Travis made it too!

IMG_8935.thumb.jpg.a3c621cd14de6115180a83f017cdce41.jpg

top of Wild Eagle selfie!

IMG_2430.thumb.JPG.5da6dae3605e8964e770cd1f80fada66.JPG

such an amazing experience!

IMG_2460.thumb.JPG.8003daa190ba4b2ad256e903f30b4056.JPG

:)

IMG_2412.thumb.JPG.1c03eb9db46fbab77734362d33692180.JPG

more cool shots!

IMG_2465.thumb.JPG.a2021e316246bfb820f20ab49784b843.JPG

can I push these?

IMG_8873.thumb.JPG.52d93865e24474361749c1dfd451c023.JPG

room where we got our harnesses on and they showed us the backpacks they use if they ever have evacuate people from the ride

IMG_8871.thumb.JPG.2d265cfd05f4bbead41fee5a9e9507e5.JPG

look at that chain! :)

IMG_8881.thumb.JPG.b4b33066d418bc2df493b1bf7478c6f7.JPG

we also got to walk around the empty park for an hour after our little climb :)

IMG_8909.thumb.jpg.d8967b4634a616629f30f30608d57281.jpg

back on the trolley! we also visited Splash Country that day which was PACKED! then we spent the rest of the day using our little Q-bot friend to ride coasters, the employees said that the park was the most packed they had seen it all summer that Saturday! :)

IMG_8970.thumb.jpg.391189c73dc99abe562bb97e26572bf2.jpg

Sunday was our last day at the park, and we managed to ride every coaster in two hours that morning, we then did our last walk around the park and grabbed some cinnamon bread for the trip home! :)

IMG_8979.thumb.jpg.387c6046760ea005be3b9932c1844a99.jpg

we only rode the tram twice the entire trip, having your own trolley is so nice!

IMG_8990.thumb.JPG.8dbf282775b7fb21009f71479e07577a.JPG

I definitely recommend staying at this resort! It makes me think of staying at Disney, you have your own transportation to and from the parks without the hassle of parking, and you can send anything you buy to the resort and they bring it to your room for you. Plus we got season passes and one gold pass, which gets you discounts everywhere in the park and at the resort! Totally worth it! We had an amazing trip and will definitely be staying here again when we come back!

^^Great looking pictures, and TR! I've never been to Dollywood before, but am taking my family there (and the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area) next year as our big family vacation! The more people report back on it (and show pictures), the more it whets my appetite for next year to be now!

As exciting as all the Dollywood stuff was, however, I think what I got the most excited about was you two being fellow "twenty one pilots" fans! Coaster enthusiasts AND Skeleton Clique members - the perfect combination!

Wow, awesome report, looks like you guys had a great time. It's amazing of how much of a destination resort DOllywood has turned into over the years. I totally forgot about all of the extras upcharge attractions they offer now with the Zip lines and early morning coaster tour, all very very cool.

Visited the park today, will have a trip report up later.

Is it just me, or do most of Dollywood's coasters have something that keeps them from being super-awesome? Tennessee Tornado has the awful Arrow trains, Mystery Mine's twisty sections are rough and jerky...

But my goodness, the park as a whole is one of the best complete experiences I've ever seen outside of Central Florida.