TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I don't "hate" Dolly Parton at all, but I'm not really a fan either... Does it make me a bad person if I say the best thing about Dolly Parton is Dollywood?

Not at all! That's pretty much how I feel too. I'm not really a fan of country music in general; give me the Smiths, R.E.M., They Might Be Giants, Depeche Mode, or Death Cab for Cutie--those people know how to speak to my life. I can appreciate that Dolly is very good at what she does, one of the best in her field, and for that she gets my respect. But her songs don't get inside my head, and that's all right. Different music for different people. We'd be pretty boring if we were all the same and liked the same things.

Whoever said they hate Dolly, just remember one very important thing: If there were no Dolly, then there would be no Dollywood!

I also think it's a safe bet to say that without Dolly's involvement in this park, Silver Dollar City, TN would not be nearly as successful in 2015 as Dollywood is in the year 2015.

Most of us here in the South revere Dolly, as do millions of fans worldwide.

^Here's some photos I took Sunday:

1847084921_2015-08-1611_15_21.thumb.jpg.2ccf844007f317a1893c005cdad570a9.jpg

Entrance plaza/Ride Station

1548090112_2015-08-1611_15_36.thumb.jpg.fe0df4acb2eac329fa49273c4c720239.jpg

Looking towards the lift hill/launch

1123724146_2015-08-1611_15_53.thumb.jpg.2fc120547b8c22a165af003fdf9b3f57.jpg

Topper Track!

28987334_2015-08-1611_16_19.thumb.jpg.5cc79e3d003dec67e2ded3d668d64502.jpg

Just a small section has been installed in the loading station.

1388933858_2015-08-1611_16_30.thumb.jpg.3159e19605c1358bc020d29afdaf9ebe.jpg

Closer look.

243389980_2015-08-1611_18_16.thumb.jpg.0d8c6bdf44f5c514e16985110433b9e8.jpg

The support for the top of the lift hill/launch has gotten bigger since the previous week.

Not much else to report really. I'll try to get out there at least once/twice a month to keep doing updates. We should also be able to do a construction tour this winter once all of the track is installed.

^^^good pictures, construction is moving swiftly.

I asked a question on the SFDK thread that i want to talk about here. I would really like to hear opinions on this.

What if (possible but probably won't happen for a while if the idea were to pop up in Adam Schilke's head.) RMC were to ever put floorless trains on a coaster? It would involve designing a new train, floor mechanisms, etc. But it really wouldn't be a hassle IMO. It would really enhance the ride experience and it would be a record holder for the first floorless wooden coaster (sounds weird saying it). This is only me dreaming but its CERTAINTLY not a bad idea, and it is CERTAINTLY not impossible or complicated whatsoever. What do you guys think? I just wanted to leave something fun to talk/think about on the thread while construction progresses.

-- I was thinking of a train:

*Two seater

*Restraints/seats similar to Hollywood Rip Rocket

I've been doing some research of my own but could use a second opinion - are there any recommended cheap and / or reasonable hotels to the east of the park? I'm thinking of staying in Newport, as I'm willing to drive an hour to / from the park on the day I go (Tuesday the 8th) to save me the extra time when driving to my final destination in Georgia.

Also, I'm assuming that I'm making a good move in spending the day AFTER Labor Day in the park, yes?

I like her version of I will always love you that doesnt make all the glass around me explode.

Thank you!

She is the original artist to release the song, as well as the writer and composer. I don't know why the Whitney Houston version has drowned Dolly out so much (probably can't hear her over the screams of Whitney Houston).

I absolutely love Dolly for her music as well as her image, personality, drive, and of course Dollywood! If only more artists developed theme parks with their millions!

I asked a question on the SFDK thread that i want to talk about here. I would really like to hear opinions on this.

What if (possible but probably won't happen for a while if the idea were to pop up in Adam Schilke's head.) RMC were to ever put floorless trains on a coaster? It would involve designing a new train, floor mechanisms, etc. But it really wouldn't be a hassle IMO. It would really enhance the ride experience and it would be a record holder for the first floorless wooden coaster (sounds weird saying it). This is only me dreaming but its CERTAINTLY not a bad idea, and it is CERTAINTLY not impossible or complicated whatsoever. What do you guys think? I just wanted to leave something fun to talk/think about on the thread while construction progresses.

-- I was thinking of a train:

*Two seater

*Restraints/seats similar to Hollywood Rip Rocket

I am sure it is possible... But to me it is not necessary. An RMC Coaster is already incredibly fast, and very intense... Taking the floors off of the train would do nothing for me because I am to focused on everything else that is going on on the ride to pay any attention to the floor. Just like on a B&M Floorless coaster, aside from when the floors drop right before leaving the station, I never really notice that it is a floorless coaster. (Unless it is a Dive Machine, and I am on one of the edge seats.) I see no need, no reason, no desire, no "appeal" to taking the floors off the trains. Not to mention if they took the floors off the trains they would have to make the seats higher up to keep peoples feet away from the track, thus resulting in changing the heartline of the coaster, not that I think it would make to much of a difference, but still a thing to consider.

So to answer your question:

What do you guys think?

I think that it is something that we may never see. I think we would see an inverted wooden coaster before we would see a floorless wooden coaster. To me there is just not enough of an appeal for a floorless wooden coaster. Like I said RMC coasters are amazing enough. No need to do something like taking the floors of the trains. If they want a more "unique" coaster experience I am sure they can come up with it in other ways. That's just my opinion though.

Looking at those pictures I didn't realize there was that big of a space in between the pre drop and the actual drop. That's a good 40-50 feet or more. Launching up the hill at 45mph then cresting over the hill and going down gaining more speed to only go back up then over to plummet down is going to create some air time right at the beginning. This thing is an air monster. I know we'll have the "ride or dies" for Thunderhead, but I honestly think this is going to beat it. I know they're different coasters, but one will outride the other.

Looking at those pictures I didn't realize there was that big of a space in between the pre drop and the actual drop. That's a good 40-50 feet or more. Launching up the hill at 45mph then cresting over the hill and going down gaining more speed to only go back up then over to plummet down is going to create some air time right at the beginning. This thing is an air monster. I know we'll have the "ride or dies" for Thunderhead, but I honestly think this is going to beat it. I know they're different coasters, but one will outride the other.

Without a doubt, Lightning Rod will steal all of Thunderhead's thunder! (That's 12 airtime moments, btw)

Without a doubt, Lightning Rod will steal all of Thunderhead's thunder!

Don't be so sure. Obviously Lightning Rod will likely end up being the better coaster, but it's not like Thunderhead is going to start becoming a walk-on all the time. Two different coasters, like Phoenix and Twister.

I was thinking the same thing about Mystery Mine last time I rode it. I tried to control my head to stop the head banging and it worked but that's because I know each move of the ride. If Dollywoid done the lapbar method, that would intensify the lift hills for sure with other elements, and make the ride more comfortable.

I remember someone saying a ride on Outlaw Run in the back is like a Eurofighter with lap bars.

The backseat of Outlaw Run is probably not so much of from being in the backseat of an actual Eurofighter. I've heard the ride is insane!

92148.thumb.jpg.52bceb3e0c4d0b9aba9cc609a16a3ee6.jpg