TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Can anyone think of any other celebrities who have been involved in the theme park business?

Walt Disney.

OMG, I had completely neglected to think of him and it was so obvious. Thanks.

In another thread today, I was posting about Dollywood and had a thought. As far as I know, Dolly Parton is the only celebrity who has invested and been involved with theme park ownership/managment. Can anyone think of any other celebrities who have been involved in the theme park business?

Bobbejaanland in Belgium was built by Bobbejaan Schoepen, a country singer just like Dolly.

In fact, here's a picture of him with Dolly Parton!

bobdolly.jpg.6e2ab0e8a6c125ebe59e6acf36085cf6.jpg

left to right: Bobbejaan's wife Josee, Dolly Parton, Porter Wagoner, Bobbejaan Schoepen

Bobbejaan_schoepen_grand_ole_opry_1953.thumb.jpg.3a1b3a49e8c3b78915e50af54845e142.jpg

Bobbejaan performing at the Grand Ole Opry in 1953

And also in Belgium, the Plopsa chain was created and is still owned by Gert Verhulst and Hans Bourlon.

Gert is a man similar to Walt Disney. He does everything involving showbiz. Acting, singing, writing, directing. His big break was "Samson & Gert", a tv show for kids, in which he plays a man (Gert) who owns a talking dog (Samson). He co-created the show himself, together with Hans Bourlon. The two of them made many more tv shows, movies, music, theater productions, etc.

In 1999 they bought a theme park (Meli), which they turned into Plopsaland. The "sa" in Plopsa comes from the Samson-show, the Plop from another show about a gnome called Plop. Today the Plopsa Group owns 5 theme parks, 2 of which were built from scratch.

gerthans.jpg.ad0afa928de61819bc6e514452f4474e.jpg

Gert Verhulst, Hans Bourlon

In Germany, the founder of Heide-Park is racing driver Hans-Jürgen Tiemann, who won the Nürburgring 24 Hours in 1997 and 1999.

When he still owned the park (it was sold to Merlin in late 2001), there was a small museum in the park with his race cars. Tiemann still lives right next to the park and was in the news last year when he complained the park's new coaster (Flug der Dämonen) is too noisy.

540695113.jpg.c45f811a2c865840b67f314602f66d04.jpg

Hans-Jürgen Tiemann and his wife Angelika, in Heide-Park, May 1998

heide.jpg.7a82f4845a1bcd298bd601c1a8baef27.jpg

In this old photo you can see Tiemann's house (top left corner) and his private karting track.

In Finland, Power Park began as little more than a karting track, designed by former F1 racing driver Mika Salo.

mikasalo.thumb.jpg.6013e719ad04568bcf0b3fc91374956d.jpg

Mika Salo in 2009

Edited by BDG

In another thread today, I was posting about Dollywood and had a thought. As far as I know, Dolly Parton is the only celebrity who has invested and been involved with theme park ownership/managment. Can anyone think of any other celebrities who have been involved in the theme park business?

Bobbejaanland in Belgium was built by Bobbejaan Schoepen, a country singer just like Dolly.

In fact, here's a picture of him with Dolly Parton!

gerthans.jpg[/attachment]

Gert Verhulst, Hans Bourlon

In Germany, the founder of Heide-Park is racing driver Hans-Jürgen Tiemann, who won the Nürburgring 24 Hours in 1997 and 1999.

When he still owned the park (it was sold to Merlin in late 2001), there was a small museum in the park with his race cars. Tiemann still lives right next to the park and was in the news last year when he complained the park's new coaster (Flug der Dämonen) is too noisy.

[attachment=0]540695113.jpg[/attachment]

Hans-Jürgen Tiemann and his wife Angelika, in Heide-Park, May 1998

[attachment=3]heide.jpg[/attachment]

In this old photo you can see Tiemann's house (top left corner) and his private karting track.

In Finland, Power Park began as little more than a karting track, designed by former F1 racing driver Mika Salo.

Wow! Thanks for the information.

I've never understood why some people believe that wooden coasters need to stick with early 20th-century technology. Many of these "purists" complained about Intamin's "plug-and-play" woodies, too.

I'm in favor of whatever technology provides the best ride possible.

Right? If RMC figured out a way to make a #1 roller coaster out of toothbrushes, old copies of 50 shades of grey, and hubcaps I would be in favor as long as it delivered an insane ride. RMC is really blurring the line between wooden and steel and roller coaster and it's awesome to watch.

Are they really? I don't think they ride anything like a wooden coaster. They feel like a steel coaster to me, with a wooden structure. I have no problems with that -- I think they are the most innovative coaster company in the world right now and are building the best coasters on the planet presently but they are closer to Gemini than Kennywood's Thunderbolt, in my view.

And the classic wooden coasters that some hold so close to their heart don't ride anything like scenic railways without upstops. So purists should mutually agree that Leap the Dips is the finest wooden coaster in the US.

It really is such a beautiful coaster. I'm glad DW decided to go with this area of the park. For a long time I've felt this area needed one. I know a lot of people would like to see some kind of expansion in the train loop, but I don't like that idea. I like how the train is secluded and away from the park.

Sure is a beautiful design, just can't believe all the awesomeness of the layout, would love to ride it next year.

Definitely too soon to changing topic as to what kinda coaster will come next, but I'd like to see an invert of some kind someday, maybe a family friendly one.. and Idk but I think Dollywood would just be so cool to add ahuge hyper coaster. I guarantee it'll be a few years before any new 'coasters' and with the cost of DreamMore, FCE & pricetag of LR, and everything else, they are burning thru that $$ pretty quick lol but I know they're cookin up some good ideas for the rest of the ten year expansion.

Way to go Dollywood.

It really is such a beautiful coaster. I'm glad DW decided to go with this area of the park. For a long time I've felt this area needed one. I know a lot of people would like to see some kind of expansion in the train loop, but I don't like that idea. I like how the train is secluded and away from the park.

They should have a little over 100mil left..

Correct me if I am wrong but DreamMore was said to be 150mil and firechaser around 16mil and now this 22mil

I know they have done other basic work around the park probably costing a couple mil here and there so I'd guess they have at least 100mil of their capital left..

Plus! They said they would increase it if they saw a need and that 300 mil wasn't a rock solid number

*edit sorry quoted the wrong person.. I don't like the way the new Tapatalk app does quotes! Can't find a way to fix it on my phone.. I wanted to quote the post below yours*

They should have a little over 100mil left..

Correct me if I am wrong but DreamMore was said to be 150mil and firechaser around 16mil and now this 22mil

I know they have done other basic work around the park probably costing a couple mil here and there so I'd guess they have at least 100mil of their capital left..

Plus! They said they would increase it if they saw a need and that 300 mil wasn't a rock solid number

*edit sorry quoted the wrong person.. I don't like the way the new Tapatalk app does quotes! Can't find a way to fix it on my phone.. I wanted to quote the post below yours*

Yes, that is exactly correct about the costs.

I noticed yesterday that they did get a new fleet of Chance trams. They're not much different than the other four-car Chance trams, I did notice they were less noisy and Im guessing they're propane fueled like the Dreammore trolleys. I snapped a pic but its on my camera at home. They were using several new ones, an older Chance and a bunch of buses. It was pretty busy Sunday afternoon.

^ B&M Invert and B&M Hyper are two Coasters I'd like to see at Dollywood as well

Intamin hyper would give them an even better mix or a Maverick-styled ride would give them an even better mix.

Yeah, I'm with you on this! I think a smaller, but fun custom Intamin like Maverick or Cheetah Hunt would be a great addition down the road, for their next coaster!

So, Tuesday the 8th of September, the day after Labor Day. Is that a a good day to go?

Considering that I'll be visiting again at the start of the 2016 season to check out Lightning Rod, if I end up missing an attraction during this first visit, it's not a huge deal.

Also, any discounts on day tickets?

Also, any discounts on day tickets?

Check into the Season Pass. I know it pays for itself in less than 2 visits but I don't know when they start allowing you to use it for the remainder of this season and all of next season. During Smoky Mountain Christmas they do that but your trip may or may not be too early. If they offer that though, it's the better deal.

Check into the Season Pass. I know it pays for itself in less than 2 visits but I don't know when they start allowing you to use it for the remainder of this season and all of next season. During Smoky Mountain Christmas they do that but your trip may or may not be too early. If they offer that though, it's the better deal.

Yeah, that's what I was kind of hoping for. I'd be willing to do a Gold Pass as well in that circumstance.

Ah okay, thought I heard it ended up costing around 200mil after it was completed. That must be how much has been spent so far, maybe I wasn't listening correctly

Well cool, this gives them some more to work with

Yeah, a drop tower is deff in order too, lol

^ B&M Invert and B&M Hyper are two Coasters I'd like to see at Dollywood as well

Intamin hyper would give them an even better mix or a Maverick-styled ride would give them an even better mix.

Yeah, I'm with you on this! I think a smaller, but fun custom Intamin like Maverick or Cheetah Hunt would be a great addition down the road, for their next coaster!

After Lightning Rod opens that will be 3 major coasters in 5 years so I think they might be done with coasters for a little while. I'd love to see some kind of new dark ride, maybe a "new" version of the old Flooded Mine of some sort. I'm sure they could come up with a really cool original dark ride.

The park as is is so well rounded that a dark ride is really all that's missing (and no I'm not forgetting Blazing Fury).

After Lightning Rod opens that will be 3 major coasters in 5 years so I think they might be done with coasters for a little while. I'd love to see some kind of new dark ride, maybe a "new" version of the old Flooded Mine of some sort. I'm sure they could come up with a really cool original dark ride.

The park as is is so well rounded that a dark ride is really all that's missing (and no I'm not forgetting Blazing Fury).

According to a report on WBIR (local NBC affiliate) during their coverage of Lightning Rod's announcement, they said "this will be Dollywood's last coaster for the foreseeable future." Obviously, that does not mean that they will never add another coaster, but it sounds like the future attractions will be of some other variety...Dreammore related, flat rides, enhancements to other areas of the park...at least until the $300 million capital plan wraps up.

WBIR report on Lightning Rod announcement

Well part of the 300 mil is supposed to be used (or better said, was originally announced to be used) opening up the new area of the park going up the train loop.. I know Pete in an interview (one of the original 300mil announcements) that opening that area up would cost a lot of money.. Maybe that's what is planned next (aside from a splash country ride).. I know he said it was expensive building restrooms, roads, restaurants and everything else that goes along with expanding the park to new area's..

Well part of the 300 mil is supposed to be used (or better said, was originally announced to be used) opening up the new area of the park going up the train loop.. I know Pete in an interview (one of the original 300mil announcements) that opening that area up would cost a lot of money.. Maybe that's what is planned next (aside from a splash country ride).. I know he said it was expensive building restrooms, roads, restaurants and everything else that goes along with expanding the park to new area's..

That's also true...that was definitely mentioned around the time Adventure Mountain was removed. I would guess that's a longer term plan.

Personally, it doesn't matter one iota where they expand on their property. As long as they keep things operating and well-maintained, as they do, then i am a happy camper.