TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

We had already picked dates for our VIP tour to Dollywood for next season, and with the annocument of this coaster it makes me glad we decided to wait till next year. Thankfully we ran out of vacation days for this year or we would have ended up going this year, and not next year. This coaster looks like an amazing addition to an amazing park. Can't wait to visit the park for the first time next season!! Even though the launch is 45mph... I bet it will still pack a nice punch!! Can't wait to experience it!

As someone who has yet to ride an RMC, it's almost a little frustrating seeing all these interesting shapes that are so unique to RMC over and over again and having no idea how they ride. I can't wait to get on one so I can have a better idea of what to expect when I finally get out there to ride this thing. Almost every inch of track is banking one way or another, every hill is just a little off-kilter.

I'm also very intrigued by the "breaking wave" element. (Imma borrow BDG's gif)

People already talk a lot about the sideways bunny hop on Outlaw Run being sideways airtime, where you're floating against the force of gravity but you happen to be turned on your side. This new element adds some additional outwards rotation to it, so it's like airtime in two different directions, right? One of which is technically "lateral force", the other of which is positive force even though it's on the axis usually associated with lateral force... if I think about this too much my head is going to explode.

I love love love the launched lift hill, but although this is technically the world's first launched woodie, I'm still waiting for a real 0 to ~65MPH in three seconds launch on a woodie running on steel wheels.

Looking on Instagram and found this. Looks like we are already going vertical. By the time I go back in September I'm sure I'll have tons to gaze at.

EDIT: Oh and I know that this layout placement is probably a bit off being I done it fast and on my phone but I'm just trying to get a visualization of where everything is going to go.

image.thumb.jpg.f1f359039fa3f9b3378097ca687edfe3.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.8b5e3b98485a5b9b38a654624e9ae584.jpg

Regarding that layout, the only thing I would mention is that I think you made the lift hill too long, which pushed the entire layout too far back. I'm guessing that the entire ride will fit in that wooded section before that paved area where the building and the parked cars are. That's my understanding of it at least. Somebody can correct me if they know it is going past that point. Otherwise, that looks pretty solid!

Here's Outlaw Run's wave turn from above. You can see that it does the same thing.

Doesn't look nearly as pronounced to me. Also, I'm assuming the change is what makes it a "breaking wave" turn, as in the wave is breaking and starting to curl in on itself.

^^Hmmm... Well, I'm not saying you're wrong, but it seems to me like that would put the coaster in danger of hitting those buildings nearby to the South. Are those Dollywood owned buildings? Like Employee Dorms or something? That would make more sense, I guess, if they were...

^they must be, because he's rifght. Watch the render again and it's pretty apparent.

SO stoked for this coaster! And extremely happy my plans for Dollywood fell through and had plans for next summer already in place! Looks like my first trip to Dollywood will be worth the extra wait

Looking on Instagram and found this. Looks like we are already going vertical. By the time I go back in September I'm sure I'll have tons to gaze at.

Yes, we also posted the exact same thing if you would have bothered to read Eric's announcement trip report:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1616870#p1616870

Was already mentally planning a road trip out to Ohio next year to hit CP and KI, but damned if this announcement doesn't have me thinking about heading down Dollywood way instead. Everything about Lightning Rod looks absolutely insane in all the best ways!

Dollywood: Massive clearing on a hill-side and an awesome RMC is coming.

Everland: Massive clearing on a hill-side (bye bye Eagle's Fortress) and a hotel is coming.

I need to move continents next year.

EDIT: Oh and I know that this layout placement is probably a bit off being I done it fast and on my phone but I'm just trying to get a visualization of where everything is going to go.

^That wooded area is all one big hill, and the first drop goes down into the ravine where the clearing is.

^^Hmmm... Well, I'm not saying you're wrong, but it seems to me like that would put the coaster in danger of hitting those buildings nearby to the South. Are those Dollywood owned buildings? Like Employee Dorms or something? That would make more sense, I guess, if they were...

Those building are off-property and are chalets. The image above by nannerdw shows where the majority of the footprint of the ride (minus the beginning and end) will go. If I didn't suck at drawing, I'd take a stab at showing you guys.

This definitely will shift some trip plans for me next year. I was going to do a SFNE/NY/SFGAdv trip next year, but I may cut it a little short and move it to this year because I want to get down south a little next year. I'll probably bump my late August trip to Wonderland until they get something new.

Here is the layout, if anyone wants to take a shot at drawing it in on the image that nannerdw posted.

thumb_11845890_10207391829176001_1544678807_n_0.jpg

The layout would need to be rotated slightly clockwise to match the angle of this photo. If you orientate 3,4, 5 (wave turn, tophat and twist and shout) with that ravine/dirt path between the two hillsides, you've got it.

The lift hill goes straight across near the top of the photo and then makes a turn towards the parking lot you see at the bottom. You can then see how the terrain on that 2nd hillside works perfectly for the wave turn right before you head back to the top for the tophat and twist and shout.

This is really a great photo, as it shows how brilliantly this design fits the natural terrain and how they were able to keep excavation and clearing to a minimum.

Edited by ernierocker

All I can say is WOW! Talk about using the terrain. This is gonna be one fun project to keep an eye on. The time lapse photos going from the big tree filled hill and valley to a completed Lightning Rod will be sweet.

Terrain coasters are simply the best, IMO.

I can imagine this blowing The Beast & Boulder Dash right out of the water as far as night rides go. Not that I would ever turn down a front seat ride on either of those coasters at night, but this thing just looks it will be over the top crazy in total darkness!

Here's another one with an overlay of the layout. The positioning is probably a bit off, but I think it's pretty close.

Nicely done! That definitely makes a lot of sense, and fits well!

Switching gears slightly, I watched the teaser video again a few times, pausing it at points, and still think the part where this image -thumb_019_294.thumb.jpg.2a22738b96e4a2fb68ff4f06edac3f92.jpg-is taken from is that quad-down the hill. At least in the video, it shows the Twist and Shout element, then mentions airtime, and then shows the pop of airtime right before coming up and over the ridge, and down into the above element: clearly seen as the top of this picture displays. I know people keep insisting that is not the case, and the picture is of the Twist & Shout element, but both the teaser video, and the above image overlay seem to indicate it is indeed the quad-down the hillside. Maybe the teaser video placed the element wrong in sequence? They did show one part definitely out of order that I caught.

I just love this element (pictured), it'd simply be nice to know precisely where it is, and there's lots of conflicting info regarding it currently. I imagine when a full POV (or full off-ride) comes out, it will all be made clear...

In another thread today, I was posting about Dollywood and had a thought. As far as I know, Dolly Parton is the only celebrity who has invested and been involved with theme park ownership/managment. Can anyone think of any other celebrities who have been involved in the theme park business?